VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Some media will not be trimmed when saving media with project for Backup ?

Hello I recently upgraded from Vegas pro 12 to the new Vegas pro 14 edit. I'm trying to backup my projects to save space. when doing so I receive a message " some media will not be trimmed. I need to save space, does anybody know a fix for this :? :? ?

Last Edit:17 Oct 2016 21:38 by natireson
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hi Natireson

There are TWO main ways people manage there files in Vegas.

The method I use does not save a copy of media with project file, because all my original videos, audio files, pictures, etc...are stored in other folders like Pictures, Music and Videos. The project file knows where the source files are, so I don't need to save copies with project. This saves a HUGE amount of space.

If you use the method I use, it is SUPER IMPORTANT to NOT move/delete files from your Source Media Folders, otherwise the link will be broken back to your Vegas Project File.

The alternate method is what you are doing, which is saving copies of all your source media. You cannot control which media is trimmed and which is not, because it all depends on each video. Because of the technical nature of some files, they cannot be trimmed, otherwise important information would be missing and the file would become corrupt.

If you imported your Source Media into the same folder your Vegas Project lives, you do not need to save a copy of all your media, otherwise you will end up with the same files TWICE in each project folder.

So I recommend you stop selecting Save a Copy Of Media, if you can.

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:15 Oct 2016 15:12 by DoctorZen
The following user(s) said Thank You: mmcswnavy24, Peter, Eagle Six

Thanks Derek,

Never really thought about this. Guess that is why some of my older projects got the same type of errors when I was building new machines, then re-editing projects. Already knew about if I changed drives/drive letters for source media, but this one definitely hearkens back to some errors I received.

Keep up the great work!

Mike "The Chief" O'Sullivan
MSI TRX40 Pro Wifi /3960X/128 GB TeamGroup/PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT/Win 10 Pro 64-Bit. VEGAS Pro 18&19 Edit/SoundForge Studio 15/Magix Xara Photo & Graphics Design/(2) Inland 2TB PCIe with OS & Apps, #2 Documents/Music/etc., (2) PNY 4TB EVO PCIe for source footage, Sabrent 2TB PCI-e Scratch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen, Peter

Hi All,
This just emphasises the need to be really careful where project files are placed - it is so easy to re-organise their placement and un link the ties produced when projects are constructed.
Sure, Vegas has the ability to re build the links but it is a pain and takes time to reconstruct those jumbled file placements.

Moral: Decide before commencing on a project how and where the files are going to go and keep steadfastly to the plan.
Look after the little things and the big ones will then look after themselves!

Peter
by Peter
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen, Eagle Six

Hi natireson,

I noticed you posted this question also on the Magix Vegas Pro forum, however there is one detail you left out here, that you added to your thread at Magix Creative Software.

If I'm not mistaken, you stated in Sony Vegas Pro 12, the files you are using were trimmed, but in Magix Vegas Pro 14, the same files are not being trimmed. Is that correct? If so this may be important information to add here to hopefully determine a solution.

As Derek and others have posted, there are some file types which Sony Vegas Pro will not trim. For one example, files with intraframe compression, each frame is compressed and stands on it own data. They are simple to slice (cut) at any point and throw the leader or trailer away because each frame contains all the data of the image in that frame.

However files with interframe compression, each frame relies on the previous frame and the compression only deals with the difference in the image from frame to frame, rather than compressing an entire frame. When you slice (cut) at any given frame the leading frames contain some data which the proceding frame needs to create the full frame image.

Vegas Pro is designed not to allow trimming of these type compressed files because it doesn't know how many previous frames you are trimming and how many the new first frame will need to recreate all the data. All the first frame, of your edit cut, will contain is the difference between the previous frames, which will not be enough to properly recreare the full frame image. There are other reasons why certain file type codec or compression schemes are not good candidates for trimming, this is just one.

On the other hand, whatever files types you are using, it appears from your other thread, Sony Vegas Pro 12 likes them and will save the trimmed events, but Magix Vegas pro 14 is saying not. This could be a bug in version 14, or Magix v14 has changed how it handles certain files, from previous versions of Vegas.

Although I have experimented with saving trimmed files, I agree with Derek, I don't use it. When I start a new project, in my data hard drive, I put all the source material in organized folders under a descriptive project folder. These sub folders include, projects, original source (video), music, sound effects, stills, production notes, etc. Then I have a matching descriptive project folder in my production hard drive with the sub folder named productions.

Vegas runs from my OS drive, pulls source from the data drive and renders to the production drive. When the production is complete (each version) I copy it to the appropriate sub folder in my data drive, and eventually (sometimes daily) I copy everything for that project from the data drive to a storage backup drive.

This may sound like a lot, but actually keeps everything organized, safer and with little more storage space. Hard drive storage space is much less costly than disorganized material, or having to re-capture the original source media (often impossible to recreate a shoot) in the event the project requires for example, 10 seconds of the original footage that was trimmed and discarded. This is just the way I do it.
Best Regards......George
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Moral: Decide before commencing on a project how and where the files are going to go and keep steadfastly to the plan.
Look after the little things and the big ones will then look after themselves!

Thanks Peter for adding the MOST IMPORTANT thing to remember :!:
I have edited my original reply and added that important information.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.890 seconds