VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved I am trying to figure out what is going on with my rendering times.

All of a sudden every project I do with my V pro 13 takes hours. I try and keep most of my videos to between 2 and 5 minutes and sometimes a little longer and Understand that the longer videos should take a bit longer to render but Before they only took up to about 30 minutes for 10 minutes and longer. Now even my 2 to 5 minute videos take up to 2 hours to render. I have not changed anything I use in my editing at all I run the same setup every time.
THE VIDEO FX I USE IS
MEDIUM SHARPEN AND LEVEL STUDIO RGB TO COMPUTER RGB AND I DISABLE RESAMPLING.
MY RENDER TEMPLATE IS
Audio: 192 Kbps, 48,000 Hz, 16 Bit, Stereo, AAC
Video: 60 fps, 1920x1080 Progressive, YUV, 12 Mbps
Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.000
HD 1080(1920X1080)
FRAME RATE IS 60
RENDER USING CPU ONLY BUT SOMETIMES i SEE IF USING CUDA WORKS BETTER.
I kind of have the feeling they have done something so we change to the new magix now that is has been released since this has not started until it was released and every time I start up my vp 13 I get a stupid ad for it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hi TRUFFLESHUFFLE03

The first thing I tell people to do when something like this happens, is to reset Vegas Pro.
Resetting will default all the settings back to what they were, when the program was first installed.
It will also delete the Temporary Files Cache, which can fill up with a HUGE amount of garbage files over time.
Sometimes these files can get corrupted and cause weird problem.

Instructions for how to reset here:
www.moviestudiozen.com/doctor-zen-faq/573-how-to-reset-sony-software-to-default-settings

The other possible things that may have happened are:
A new build version for your Graphics Card was installed, that is causing problems.
I have seen this happen a few times over the years. Rolling back the Graphics Card Driver to a slightly older version is worth trying.
A Windows update may also have done something ?

After you reset the program, you will have to reconfigure some of your Vegas Pro settings.
Make sure to check Project Property settings and return to BEST settings for Video and Audio.
Also go to Options/Preferences/Video and check your GPU Acceleration settings.

If you open an existing project, make sure you have not accidentally added Sharpening twice and set it too high.
When Sharpening is used too much, it can cause a HUGE load on the CPU and RAM and screw your render times.

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:03 Dec 2016 16:24 by DoctorZen
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six

Well I have reset it and nothing has changed and My graphics card is brand new my old one was a geforce gtx 650 or something like that and my new one is MSI gtx 950 2gb gaming and it was installed a few months ago and no update has happened since install and vp 13 has just started doing this. I will try and reset everything again and see if that fixes the issue.

I can assure you that Magix cannot and did not magically change something in Vegas Pro 13.
Vegas Pro 13 is my main editor and my render times have not changed at all.
The last build version for Vegas Pro 13 ever released by Sony is build #453 - make sure this is the version you have installed.

Nvidia releases new driver versions on a very regular basis - sometimes a few times each month.
You should have Nvidia GeForce Experience installed on the Windows taskbar in lower right corner. This is the program that checks for updates automatically for your graphics card. Driver 376.09 was released just a few days ago. Is this the driver you have installed ?

Whenever I have problems with Vegas that happen out of the blue, the first thing I always do is go back to basics.
Step 1: Reset the program.
Step 2: Re-configure basic settings and make sure GPU Acceleration is turned ON.
Step 3: Don't load saved projects when troubleshooting - if you open a saved project, it may have an error saved in it which you are not aware of.
Step 4: Start a new test project and only add just a normal everyday video, but do not add any effects!
You said your videos average 2 to 5 minutes. Add some video and cut to exactly 5 minutes. Make sure to use Match Media function when you imported the video, to make sure Project Properties are identical to Video's Properties.
Step 5: In the Project Properties, make sure Pixel Format = 8 Bit.
I often see people set this to 32 bit Full Range, thinking it is a superior setting, however it is not if your video is only 8 bit. Most everyday videos are recorded only in 8 bit. 32 bit increases processing times dramatically!
Also make sure you did not change the Dynamic RAM value in the Preference Settings. 200 MB is standard setting. Setting this crazy high will take away processing power for rendering.
Step 6: Render to Mainconcept AVC/AAC and use Internet 1080p. Make sure the Frame Rate is set the same as original video and project properties. Set Encode Mode = CPU only.

How long does the render take ?
It should take no more than 5 to 10 minutes for a 5 minute video with ZERO effects added.

What model CPU does your computer use ?
How much RAM do you have ?
Does your Hard Drive have plenty of room ?
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:11 Jan 2017 23:08 by DoctorZen

Yes I know they did not magically change something It was just a observation of how it started acting up as soon as I started getting adds to upgrade every time I opened my program. It would not be my graphics card drivers as I don't auto update them as when new drivers come out it messes up gaming sometimes and I have not updated it since I got it installed about 4 or 5 months ago and the issue with the vp 13 recently just started. I have plenty of space as I have two hard drives and a 1tb external hard drive and I currently have over 200.0 GB of space.
My computer INTEL(R) core(TM) i5 4460 cpu 3.20ghz. Ram is 8.00 GB but I have two harddrives and a external TB one as well. I have not had any problem with any rendering stuff since I got this computer less than a year ago and It just now started acting up with rendering.
Last Edit:07 Dec 2016 08:20 by Truffleshuffle03

Hi Truffleshuffle03,

I've been using Sony Vegas Pro 13 build 453 since December 2015. It is running as usual, nothing has happened to increase render times. I did have a problem in 2014 running Sony Movie Studio 13 Platinum when I was using a GTX 460 GPU. Despite setting it for no auto updates, Windows 7 downloaded an update behind my back when I wasn't paying attention. I had to roll back the update and learned a lesson. I now always check every entry in the OS update and uncheck those which may be harmful to my setup before allowing the updates to download and install. I'm now using a MSI R9 380 card. So far Windows hasn't attempted an update for that GPU, but I always check before running the Windows OS updates.

Outside of running a reset assuring that the options to 'Delete all cached application data.' has been checked, a possible corruption of a project, or inadvertent change in the source media, I don't know of anything in Vegas that will suddenly change render times as drastic as you are experiencing, unless there is a configuration you have changed within Vegas, as Derek has pointed out, possibly setting Dynamic preview RAM to high, or using or not using GPU. It sounds like something has changed in your OS and/or system hardware or setup, that is possibly responsible for the change.

Is it possible that there has been an unknowing change in your source media? Have you opened a previous project, which you are sure was produced prior to this render slow-down and rendered it out to test the render times, as a comparison?

When we are running along fine, then suddenly we experience a drastic change, it is often annoying to get to the bottom of the cause and apply the solution, because we are sometimes focusing at the wrong area. Often times we need to consider that things we think will have nothing to do with it, and through the process of checking, we discover something meaningful.

Although I think, from what you have so far posted, would have nothing to do with Vegas, a clean install of Vegas would be the ultimate attempt. A clean install also requires a reset and deleting of application data, but you may want to try it. I don't think it will make a difference. Again, I would look at my operating system changes (updates), as well as perhaps running a test check on memory, and checking to make sure the temp files and render files are in fact going to a drive with lots of free space. A check of the render drive may also eliminate a cause.

Often if one program slows down, perhaps because of a memory issue, other programs that also are memory intensive will also slow down, but not always. For example, many games use a single core, where Vegas likes to use all the cores and threads your CPU has available.

Out of curiosity, can you post the specifics about your source media? Mediainfo (free program), in text mode, will provide the specification of your source media files. A screen shot of the (text mode) info yielded from Mediainfo, along with screenshots of your project settings, and screenshots of your render settings may be helpful for members to diagnose. I think you have already checked that your 'GPU acceleration of video processing:' is the same as before, that your 'Dynamic RAM preview max (MB):' is set for '200', and that the 'Encode mode:' in your render template is set as before.

I'm sure you know, the R9 380 card will not present any render time advantage using Cuda or OpenCL, and the best quality and render times will be from using CPU only.

Truffleshuffle03 wrote: ~~ and every time I start up my vp 13 I get a stupid ad for it.

The pop-up ad's come from 'net notify'. You can turn this off, go to 'Options' > 'Preferences...', in the 'Preferences' window under the 'General' tab, unselect 'Use Net Notify to stay informed about Sony product updates'. This of course disables receiving any and all net notify announcements, but does get rid of the pop-up if that annoys you.
Best Regards......George

Thanks for the replays everyone. As far as I know nothing has changed on my OS or scorce settings. I think it just has to do with my program maybe something is corrupted because in the last few days I have been crashing and freezing now. I think I am just going to uninstall everything and reinstall since resetting everything has done nothing.
Last Edit:07 Dec 2016 08:21 by Truffleshuffle03

I would also do another reset and delete the cached application data after the clean uninstall/install. The uninstall and re-install doesn't necessarily clean up any corruption that may be stored and left over from previous installs and/or projects.
Best Regards......George

Hi TRUFFLESHUFFLE03

Moderator hat on now
I removed all the MASSIVE QUOTES you added to all your replies - you don't need to quote every previous reply in a new message.
A better way to use quotes is just add small relevant sections. When you start a new message, you can copy and paste sections of previous messages and press the QUOTE button to wrap in quotes.

What I recommend you do to fix Vegas Pro is a complete clean install of the program.
This involves full removal of the programs, programs files and Windows Registry values.
I have full instructions listed here:

How to Clean Uninstall and Reinstall Vegas Pro or Movie Studio for Windows 7?

How to Clean Uninstall and Reinstall Vegas Pro or Movie Studio for Windows 8.1?

How to Clean Uninstall and Reinstall Vegas Pro or Movie Studio for Windows 10?
The following user(s) said Thank You: vkmast

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.777 seconds