VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Green Screen action

Green Screen action was created by alittleolder

Posted 01 Mar 2017 05:45 #1
I want to buy a green screen 3ft by 8ft or whatever but I need more green or rather usable space. How would I accomplish that. I know it's a simple think, I am sure but I just can't think of it at the moment. Please someone just point me in the right direction
kindest regards, Cutting around it with a green template or how? I just can't think of it .. sorry
Stephan
Last Edit:25 Mar 2017 18:19 by alittleolder

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by alittleolder on topic Green Screen action

Posted 03 Mar 2017 00:23 #2
Since nobody is replying I guess I must've said the question wrong. So here I go again: What if the background I want to project is larger than the greenscreen I have. How would I go around that? I ask this before having ever done something in greenscreen but I want to order a greenscreen wall and some things and I am holding off until I know exactly what to do. Thanks in advance.

Replied by Eagle Six on topic Green Screen action

Posted 05 Mar 2017 03:36 #3
Hi alittleolder,

If I understand your question, it will not make any difference provided what you shoot in camera will include the green screen background from edge-to-edge both top and bottom, provided your lighting is correct.

However, if what you shoot in camera, the green screen you are using does not fill the frame, you will need to mask out those area within the frame which are not green screen.

I'm not sure I have explained that correctly?!?!

Example 1. You are shooting talent against a green screen. However, you realize the talent will be too large to fit against the superimposed background, so you either move the camera back (making the talent the correct size), or zoon out your lens (reducing the size of your talent). Now there are parts of the studio outside of the green screen which are included in the clip. This could be cured by using a larger green screen, but that is not an option, you have what you have. So, when you put this clip into Vegas, you will need to use the Masking FX within Vegas to block out those sections which show within the frame that are not green screen.

Example 2. You are shooting talent against a green screen. However, you realize the talent will be too large to fit against the superimposed background, so you shoot what you have making sure in camera, the frame is completely cover edge-to-edge. When you bring this into Vegas, you use the Pan & Crop feature to reduce the size of the talent.

If what you are shooting, such as a talking head, is completely surrounded by green screen, you should not have a problem when superimposing it over a background, by either changing the size of the main subject (talent) with Pan & Crop (or Track Motion), or masking out unwanted areas outside of the green screen (Vegas Pro only, not available in Movie Studio).

This is one of those subjects that a photo or tutorial is much easier to explain with, but hope this helps. I have seen many years ago some green screen tutorials which would illustrate this, so maybe a YouTube search will bring up something helpful. I would check Derek's tutorial here first, maybe he has done something.
Best Regards......George
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen, alittleolder

Posted 07 Mar 2017 06:50 #4
Thanks a lot. You've helped a great deal with my understanding. I of course bought all the stuff first before even checking how it is actually done. I don't know why I still do that but know my green screen is actually too large but that's not a problem.

Thanks a lot!
Stephan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six

Replied by Eagle Six on topic Green Screen action

Posted 07 Mar 2017 10:49 #5
Hi Stephan,

Glad I could somewhat help. I suppose if we can properly light the screen, then being too large is probably better than too small. My problem with interior green screen work is the space I have to work in doesn't allow the distance from camera to subject, so I just use a very small green screen material stretched over a background support. It is only about 5x4 feet, so it will allow chest and head, but that is about all. The good part of the smaller screens is, it doesn't take a lot of lights to properly and evenly light it.

If my screen was too large I would be tempted to take a pair of scissors to it. Of course if it is a hard screen, that may need a hand saw!!!
Best Regards......George
The following user(s) said Thank You: alittleolder

Posted 07 Mar 2017 19:22 #6
Thanks a lot. I'll guess I'll just try and see what comes of it.

Usually when I finally tried what I was preparing for it worked out just fine. I also want to use the greenscreen sparingly and other times have black, white or grey in the background.
I really don't wanna overdo it.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.809 seconds