VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Multi-Camera editing process

Multi-Camera editing process was created by MrGrunthunter

Posted 08 Mar 2017 04:57 #1
OK, New Month, I'm bringing my keyboard out of quarantine with a question :-)
"what is the best process for multi-camera editing?"
I just finished recording a little cooking video with my reluctant wife and had four cameras set up. I've loaded all of the files into VEGAS Pro and manually synced them all up as best as I can and in the process of cutting out as much of the blatant 'dead space' as possible and trimmed to the same overall length.
QUESTION: Is it best to keep on cutting and trimming all of the files to the final desired length now or just go ahead and proceed with creating the final single file using the multi-camera editing technique and then performing the final trimming to the desired length then? Does it really matter?.
Right now I'm still working with all four video files to try and cut the final video from 50 min down to at least 20 - 25 min.

UPDATE: I Tried the multi-camera editing in VP14 and it kept locking up so I had to manually create a video envelope in each track and adjust that between all 4 video tracks to accomplish my editing. After I added a few still photos and a couple of text boxes I've finally uploaded it to my YouTube Channel. I was curious about v13 vs v14 so I loaded the files into version 13 and the multi-camera editing feature seemed to work fine without any hick-ups. Anybody else experience an issue like this?
DESKTOP: Dell PC WINDOWS 10 PRO, 64-bit, Ver:1607, OS BLD: 14393.1066
INTEL Core: i7-4790, CPU @3.60 GHz, Inst RAM:16.0 GB
GeForce GTX 745, Driver ver: 376.53, Tot avail grap: 12225 MB, Ded vid mem: 4096 MB DDR3
Shared Sys Mem: 8159 MB, DirectX Runtime Ver:12.0

LAPTOP: MSI GE72MVR 7RG
GTX-1070
Last Edit:13 Mar 2017 09:41 by MrGrunthunter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by HarryLlama on topic Multi-Camera editing process

Posted 12 Mar 2017 12:35 #2
Hello, MrGH,
I've done a lot of live event filming (classical concerts, dance performances, plays) with two or more cameras, and I generally do what you do to begin - sync everything, and then chop out the wasted bits (closed curtains, change of scene, intermission, etc). I usually have a wide shot that I put on the bottom video line, and then various close up cameras (often just one - I sometimes shoot in 4K so I can use one camera for two or more distances by cropping) above it. Then I slice away all the close-up work that doesn't look good - that's when it cuts to the wide shot - and voila. Now, with more angles, it's probably not as straightforward, and you'll probably have inserts to cut in as well (food close-ups, related asides, animations even?), but the general process works for me. Hope this helps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen, MrGrunthunter

Replied by MrGrunthunter on topic Multi-Camera editing process

Posted 19 Mar 2017 02:17 #3
Thanks for the reply HARRYLLAMA. So basically then, you complete ALL of your editing before you create your final single track before rendering to your final production. I hadn't thought about cropping the wide angle view in the process. I did notice I had exposure differences between the cameras even though they were all the same GOPro HERO 4 Black models recording at the same settings. I had my SONY FDR AX100 recording in 4K as my main camera so it had the best video. The GoPro's were set at 1080-30 so I could set them at 'narrow' view. It was an interesting project and experience ha ha. Fortunately I was able to edit out the parts where my wife was arguing with me ha ha ha.
DESKTOP: Dell PC WINDOWS 10 PRO, 64-bit, Ver:1607, OS BLD: 14393.1066
INTEL Core: i7-4790, CPU @3.60 GHz, Inst RAM:16.0 GB
GeForce GTX 745, Driver ver: 376.53, Tot avail grap: 12225 MB, Ded vid mem: 4096 MB DDR3
Shared Sys Mem: 8159 MB, DirectX Runtime Ver:12.0

LAPTOP: MSI GE72MVR 7RG
GTX-1070
Last Edit:25 Mar 2017 18:23 by MrGrunthunter

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.766 seconds