VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved To upgrade or not upgrade?...that is the question! VP 13 -> 14

• CeeDee
  • CeeDee's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 3
  • Zen Level 3
  • Thank you received: 13
As Magix are offering an upgrade price of £199 upgrading from Vegas Pro 13 to 14, in the next few days, I wonder what the general consensus is: is it worth it for that price? I am still a bit miffed that I will be unable to use OPEN CL / CUDA to help with the rendering.
Sony Vegas Pro 15, DVD Architect 9, Acid Music Studio 9, Sound Forge Audio Studio 10, Photoshop Elements 9
PC: Intel six Core i7 Processor i7-5820K (3.3GHz) 15MB Cache
ASUS® X99-S: ATX, HSW-E CPU, USB 3.0, SATA 6 GB/s
32GB CRUCIAL DDR4 RAM
3GB AMD RADEON™ R9 280X
Last Edit:12 Apr 2017 17:32 by CeeDee

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Eagle Six on topic To upgrade or not upgrade?...that is the question! VP 13 -> 14

Posted 12 Apr 2017 07:37 #2
I'm not upgrading from Vegas Pro 13 to Magix Vegas Pro 14, for various reasons. However, beings how anyone can get their so called special deal doesn't really make it an 'upgrade' deal for me. It is my understanding from others who have taken the deal there was no requirement to show proof of a previous version. Just my opinion.

I have read that Magix did state they would improve the GPU function in Vegas Pro, although I agree they have not done so at this point, but that may be in a future build or upgrade to version 15 when released.

When I render for anything that would call for MainConcept AVC or Sony AVC, the only two templates which allow faster rendering by some older GPU cards in either OpenCL or Cuda, instead I FrameServe out of Vegas to Handbrake. If the video is more than 2-3 minutes long Handbrake will render faster and is usually better quality. Just an idea if you haven't tried it yet.
Best Regards......George
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen, CeeDee, vkmast

Replied by DoctorZen on topic To upgrade or not upgrade?...that is the question! VP 13 -> 14

Posted 12 Apr 2017 17:32 #3
If I wasn't so involved with using Vegas Pro and just a regular user, I would probably stick with Vegas Pro 13 for now and wait for Vegas Pro 15 to be released.

I consider Vegas Pro 14 a transitional product. Magix has a lot of work to do in creating Vegas Pro 15 and need to make it a killer program, otherwise I can see a lot of people jumping ship for good (me included). I can also appreciate that a company takeover is a huge event, so I am prepared to give Magix 12 months to cook something tasty for us, that is more than simple window dressing.

Modern AMD and Nvidia graphics cards are useless for speeding up rendering times in Vegas Pro. Only cards like Nivida GTX500 series or older, can use Cuda to accelerate rendering times. However, the latest graphics cards do work well in processing GPU accelerated Video FX and playback in the Preview Window. As Eagle Six stated, one of the developers at Magix has publicly said that he would like to see GPU acceleration improved for Vegas Pro.

The consensus on the official Vegas Pro forum, is that AMD Graphics Cards work best with Vegas Pro.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CeeDee, Eagle Six, vkmast

• CeeDee
  • CeeDee's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 3
  • Zen Level 3
  • Thank you received: 13

Replied by CeeDee on topic To upgrade or not upgrade?...that is the question! VP 13 -> 14

Posted 13 Apr 2017 03:24 #4
Thanks guys. I think you are right... wait to see what Vegas 15 has to offer.
Happy editing all!
Sony Vegas Pro 15, DVD Architect 9, Acid Music Studio 9, Sound Forge Audio Studio 10, Photoshop Elements 9
PC: Intel six Core i7 Processor i7-5820K (3.3GHz) 15MB Cache
ASUS® X99-S: ATX, HSW-E CPU, USB 3.0, SATA 6 GB/s
32GB CRUCIAL DDR4 RAM
3GB AMD RADEON™ R9 280X
by CeeDee

Hi Cee Dee, I find reading the feedback www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/vegas-pro-14-update-6-build-252--106313/ about the latest two builds of Magix Pro 14 that there seems to be a few complaints from users. I upgraded from Vegas Movie Studio 13 Platinum to Vegas Pro 14 when all the Magix offer was put out there and am generally happy. I was however disappointed that the DVD Architech had no graphics improvment. As just a private user with no great commercial activity I would be interested to see what Movie Studio Platinum 15 would offer when it comes out??

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.829 seconds