VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Vegas Pro 14 Crashing/Freezing

Vegas Pro 14 Crashing/Freezing was created by Drummerkat

Posted 16 May 2017 22:05 #1
I created a template in Pro 14 for my wedding films, and it was causing some serious lag and delay. It only consisted of my branding video and 2-3 animated titles. I deleted it and made a new one, and then it was working fine. I was working my recent wedding project and then I dragged a MOV file to add a lower-thirds title screen. Pro 14 started to freeze on me then. I converted the MOV to a MP4 and that didn't do much better, and since then I've had nothing but freeze ups and incredible lag on my project. Everything was fine up until that point.
So far I've restored the defaults (ctrl + shift) and I deleted the MP4 I wanted to use. What else should I do except reinstall? I've not been satisfied with Pro 14 because of these crashes. Movie Studio Platinum 11 was working great; perhaps I shouldn't have upgraded but I really wanted the multi-camera options.
Last Edit:16 May 2017 23:37 by Drummerkat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Vegas Pro 14 Crashing/Freezing

Posted 16 May 2017 23:36 #2
I am not experiencing any problems with Vegas Pro 14, like you are describing. I doubt it is a problem with VP14.
VP14 has a lot more processing power than Movie Studio Platinum 11, which was only a 32 bit program.

Have you installed build version #252 yet?
www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/vegas-pro-14-update-6-build-252--106313/

What type of videos are in your project? Frame Size, Frame Rate?
Where did they come from? GoPro, DSLR, Video Camera...?

What model CPU does your computer use?
How much RAM do you have installed?
Do you have a dedicated Graphics Card? If so, which make and model?
Do you have GPU acceleration turned ON?
Is your Hard Drive in good condition with plenty of room? A slow Hard Drive that is near full, will cause huge lagging problems.

There are some Graphics Card drivers that can cause BIG problems with Video Editing programs.
If you use an Nvidia graphics card, you will see that Nvidia releases new Driver versions all the time.
During the last 6 months I have seen at least 2 bad Nvidia Driver release, which caused big problems in Vegas.
Rolling the Driver back to an earlier version fixed the problem.

.MOV files are notorious for causing problems in Vegas, but that is not anything new.

Have you made sure all your Frame Rates match?
If the Frame Rate set in your Project Properties is different to any of your videos on the timeline, it will cause lag on the average computer, unless you have a very powerful CPU.

I have some Intro and Outro project templates/videos I use all the time, but I rendered different Frame Rate versions. So I have a 25 fps version and 30 fps version. If I import the wrong frame rate version into the project, it causes massive lag. Checking this and importing the correct Frame Rate version fixes the problem.

You also need to be careful that any pre-made video events like Titles & Text, were created at the correct Frame Size and Frame Rate.
I see a lot of people start Titles & Text projects and forget to set their Project Properties. The default Vegas settings normally are set to 720x480 Interlaced video. If you add Titles and then change the Project Properties later, the actual Text events will be set to the original Project Property settings. So you could end up with 720x480-29.97fps Text Events inside of a 1920x1080-25fps project. The difference in Frame Size and Frame Rate will cause lag. Manually open the Text events and make sure the Frame Size is correct.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:16 May 2017 23:37 by DoctorZen
The following user(s) said Thank You: mmcswnavy24, Drummerkat

Replied by Drummerkat on topic Vegas Pro 14 Crashing/Freezing

Posted 17 May 2017 10:12 #3
I checked my frame rates and they match. My computer specs exceed the requirements for Pro 14. Today I updated to the latest build. I also disabled the GPU processing, and that seemed to fix the problem (fingers crossed). I found this helpful link: www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/faq-troubleshooting-crashing-and-stability--104785/ so perhaps you can integrate that into a future post if you haven't already. You may have suggested in the past to disable the GPU. Regardless, things are working now.
Thanks for your quick, helpful, and friendly reply.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Vegas Pro 14 Crashing/Freezing

Posted 17 May 2017 16:12 #4
Turning off GPU Acceleration seems to be a cure for many ills in Vegas. I do talk about this in some of my FAQs, but forgot to mention it here. I will try to remember for next time someone discovers an X-file.

I am spoilt, because I'm lucky enough to be using an Nvidia GTX570, which works flawlessly in all versions of Vegas Pro and Vegas Movie Studio.
Nvidia GTX500 series, was the last series to 100% support GPU Acceleration in Vegas.

Recently my 6 year old GTX 460 blew up, but I found a 2nd hand GTX 570 on eBay and it works even better than the 460.
I recommend anyone with some spare change to grab one of these GPUs, if you use Vegas a lot.
I really, really hope that the Vegas developers can pull a rabbit out of their hat and find a way to integrate GPU acceleration more fully with modern GPU architecture.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:19 May 2017 10:11 by DoctorZen

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.769 seconds