VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Effects not working in Vegas Pro 14 on a new Ryzen computer

• ilyk49
  • ilyk49's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 3
  • Zen Level 3
  • Thank you received: 13
I have no idea what is going on with my Vegas pro 14 and my new Ryzen computer. The stuttering at transitions is still there and I can't seem to find a solution (I did just download a trial version of Edius 8 and there is no such problem with Edius - the transitions play flawlessly in the timeline).

But now I have another problem with Vegas. Video effects don't work! No matter what video effect I drag onto a video in the timeline - no effect occurs. This is really frustrating. Can't use colour corrector, can't use white balance, can't use black and white - can't use any effect at all.

Can anyone explain why this may be happening?

I did uninstall the program and then re-installed it. But this made no difference at all.

I have to admit at the time I noticed the stuttering problem I hadn't tried to use any effects - so this may have been a problem since I had the new computer built with Ryzen. I noticed it tonight as I needed to white balance a clip - but the effect didn't work. I then tried several different effects and none of the work. HELP!

I have also found that it takes ages to render a short video clip. I had a 5-minute clip and it took about 15 minutes to render to a HD MP4 file - and about the same time to render it to a MPEG 720 files. Something is clearly not right - but I don't know what the problem is. I've never had any such problems with Vegas in the past using an i7 4770k processor. This all started with the new Ryzen computer.
Last Edit:16 May 2017 23:38 by ilyk49

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Effects not working in Vegas Pro 14 on a new Ryzen computer

Posted 16 May 2017 23:52 #2
Have you also posted a message about this on the official Vegas Forums?
I was just reading this post here:
www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/amd-ryzen-1800x-vegas-pro-test--106090/

I have been reading posts all over the Internet about AMD Ryzen.
Some people are experiencing no problems at all and having great success with Ryzen, whereas others like yourself have problems.

It is always risky to invest in new hardware like AMD Ryzen, which is built on a completely new architecture. Eventually any bugs or performance problems will get sorted out, but right now you are like a Beta tester for AMD.

I have no idea how Video Editing programs work with CPUs, so I can't comment on whether the coding used for Vegas Pro needs to be tweaked for Ryzen.

The first thing I would be checking, is Driver updates for Ryzen and your Motherboard.
Because Ryzen is so new and different, Motherboard manufacturers will be releasing very regular BIOS and Driver updates, to fix problems with the new architecture. Out of everything, you need to check the BIOS first.

You also need to check the Timings and Speed set for your RAM. This is another setting inside your BIOS. You need to access the BIOS before Windows boots and then check all the settings. The information about compatible RAM for Ryzen, is changing from week to week.

Read this as well:
www.pcworld.com/article/3192926/computers/amd-updates-ryzen-drivers-with-a-new-power-profile-and-the-promise-of-better-performance.html
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:16 May 2017 23:54 by DoctorZen

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Effects not working in Vegas Pro 14 on a new Ryzen computer

Posted 19 May 2017 10:10 #3
Have you made any progress yet?

Have you tried turning off GPU Acceleration?
Go to Options/Preferences/Video/GPU Acceleration.

p.s.
I am also planning to build a Ryzen based computer before the end of year, but decided to hold off until the initial problems are resolved. I am interested in your experience with the new AMD CPU.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

• ilyk49
  • Zen Level 3
  • Zen Level 3

Replied by ilyk49 on topic Effects not working in Vegas Pro 14 on a new Ryzen computer

Posted 19 May 2017 11:46 #4
Hi Derek

Yes, the GPU acceleration is off - but it makes no difference.

It has to be something to do with Ryzen, because I still have my old computer with an i7 4770K and Vegas works perfectly with that computer. No problem with transitions or effects. This has only happened with the Ryzen computer.

I would definitely NOT recommend Ryzen for anyone interested in continuing to use Vegas Pro. I have had nothing but problems using Ryzen which no one can explain or suggest remedies. Updating BIOS and drivers has not helped.

Interestingly, I did download a trial version of Edius 8 - and it seems to work perfectly with Ryzen. No problems with transitions or effects. The problem only seems to be with Vegas Pro.

Will be trying a complete re-install of Ryzen , and will try using Windows 10 rather than Windows 7.

I'll let you know how it all goes.
by ilyk49

Posted 19 May 2017 15:04 #5

Will be trying a complete re-install of Ryzen , and will try using Windows 10 rather than Windows 7.

My prediction is that using Windows 10 will fix the problem, because Windows 7 is not officially supported by AMD Ryzen!
I assumed you would have installed Windows 10 on a new computer and not Windows 7.

You may like to read this:
www.pcgamer.com/amd-confirms-there-will-be-no-ryzen-drivers-for-windows-7/
Last Edit:19 May 2017 15:06 by DoctorZen

• ilyk49
  • Zen Level 3
  • Zen Level 3

Replied by ilyk49 on topic Effects not working in Vegas Pro 14 on a new Ryzen computer

Posted 19 May 2017 22:11 #6
No - I don't like Windows 10 - so I installed Windows 7. Burt will now try using Windows 10. We'll see if that helps anything.
Last Edit:28 May 2017 19:12 by ilyk49

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.932 seconds