VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Vegas Pro render to include audio at 24 bit

• Mosaic
  • Mosaic's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2
  • Thank you received: 1

Vegas Pro render to include audio at 24 bit was created by Mosaic

Posted 25 May 2017 16:54 #1
I have a nature video + soundtrack, and I need to render it keeping the audio in its current format: 44.1kHz and 24 bit. I cannot find any render template settings in Sony Vegas which have audio at 24 bit (except render settings that are audio only - mine is a video + soundtrack).

Can anyone advise?
Last Edit:28 May 2017 19:11 by Mosaic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Eagle Six on topic Vegas Pro render to include audio at 24 bit

Posted 26 May 2017 00:09 #2
Hi Mosaic,

What codec format and/or container are acceptible for your production? There are several (or maybe even many) codec available which will include the option for 44.1 sample rate and 24 bit depth. Are you restricted by the video format codec or it file container? For example can you use the .mkv (Matroska) container? Know this may make it easier for a member to suggest a solution.
Best Regards......George

• Mosaic
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2

Replied by Mosaic on topic Vegas Pro render to include audio at 24 bit

Posted 26 May 2017 14:11 #3
Thanks for the reply. I'm not restricted by video format codec. I don't find .mkv as an output format from Sony Vegas ... am I missing something?
by Mosaic

Posted 27 May 2017 00:07 #4
With a quick look I found three available in my Vegas setup, there may be more.

1st, in 'Video for Windows (*.avi)', 'HD 1080-24p YUV', then you can set the video parameters to match your video and the Audio for 44.1/24. You can also select the 'Video Format' and select 'Sony 10-Bit YUV Codec' and do the same parameter setting changes. This should be a part of the factory default installation.

2nd, again within the 'Video for Windows (*.avi)' you could use the Cineform codec (from 'Video Format') which will offer options to get 44.1/24 audio. However to get the Cineform codec you will first need to download the free GoPro Studio software and install it. That will also install the Cineform codec and then be available in Vegas Pro.

3rd, Use the free render software Handbrake, which offers mp4 and mkv containers and formats. The mkv container/codec offers the ability to select 44.1/24 audio. The easiest way to use Handbrake in conjunction with Vegas Pro is to use the FrameServer abilities within Vegas. You can read about this be doing a search on the web for 'Vegas2Handbrake'. You should find several references with a how-to download and setup the system. When completed, the FrameServer will send your Vegas project directly from Vegas to Handbrake, and then Handbrake can be setup for the audio settings you seek. Although a bit of a process to get it setup, once setup, it is extremely easy and automated thereafter.

Hope this helps......
Best Regards......George

• Mosaic
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2

Posted 27 May 2017 00:20 #5
Thanks, this is very helpful. I have Handbrak, I check it out.

The final moveie + soundtrack will be played on a big screen at a Congress, so I'm looking for the very best quality for both video and audio - is there any difference in picture quality between your 3 options? Is .avi going to be god enough quality?
by Mosaic

Posted 27 May 2017 06:33 #6
In my opinion they are all of high quality. I would go with the Cineform if it were me and configure the video codec for Encode Format to 'YUV 4:2:2', and the Encoding Quality for 'Filmscan 1' for 1080p. 'Filmscan 2' would be the highest quality, but very much over kill. You could probably get by with 'High' depending on the source media. By the way, what is your source media format and from what camera, if you don't mind divulging?

However, the producer/manager of projection at the Congress may prefer the MKV rendered from Handbrake over the Cineform render within Vegas. If it were possible, I would check to determine if there is a preference.

If you are going to use Handbrake you will need to use the MKV container as that will permit you to option for the 44.1/24 audio if you select the lossless FLAC 24 bit codec. I'm not sure what exact video codec Handbrake uses to render, but it will be a x.264 of some flavor and I have found (and it is said to be) it to be of higher quality than that which comes out of Vegas (not be much, but a little bit better).

Cineform should provide the best quality as it does far less compression than any of the h.264/h.265 codec's and I have found the colors come out predictably within Vegas for my tastes. With that said, the Cineform avi will be a larger physical size file than that produced from within Handbrake in the mkv container, if file size is of any concern.

Hope this helps and hope I am not leading you astray.....
Best Regards......George

• Mosaic
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2

Posted 29 May 2017 01:05 #7
Thank you - this is just what I needed. I am fairly advanced with audio, but I'm a beginner with video, so you have really helped get me going.

I downloaded the GoPro Studio and made a quick test, seemed to work well with a .avi and selecting the the Cineform codec as per your suggestion.

I want to try also the Handbrake version, and found your other posting. www.moviestudiozen.com/forum/vegas-pro/1103-vegas-to-handbrake-rendering-vegas2handbrake-debugmode-frameserver-opinion

Following the link from there to "Vegas 2 Handbrake" www.vegasvideo.de/vegas-2-handbrake-en brought me to what looks like some kind of error message - web site down? Is there another place? Or can I do it without this automation?

Re my video source media format and from what camera, its actually a mix of various video sent to me from a variety of sources, so its not me who has made the video. I'm tasked with editing the various video clips I get into one new film and adding my music to it as a soundtrack, and rendering a file which has both the video and audio in its best possible quality (size is no object).
Last Edit:29 May 2017 01:19 by Mosaic

Replied by vkmast on topic Vegas Pro render to include audio at 24 bit

Posted 29 May 2017 03:25 #8

Mosaic wrote: Following the link from there to "Vegas 2 Handbrake" www.vegasvideo.de/vegas-2-handbrake-en brought me to what looks like some kind of error message - web site down? Is there another place? Or can I do it without this automation?

Try using the link in this post .
by vkmast
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six

Posted 29 May 2017 04:21 #9
Hi Mosaic,

IT appears you are correct, that link is no longer working. Here is a link that should get you what you need.....

Vegas 2 Handbrake ZIP file

....and Thank You for pointing out the previous link I posted in the other thread was broken. I downloaded the zip file linked above (center file with the zipper icon) and it appears to have everything you will need by following the instructions for all the downloads and setup required. Peck around as there are some zip files (at least one) within that zip file.

As the author points out this was originally setup for Sony Vegas Pro 13 and also tested on ver 12. If I remember correctly, users on the newer Magix Vegas Pro 14 have also gotten it to work, but it will need a few easy modification. If you have ver 12 or 13, just follow the instructions. If you have ver 14, I would suggest to follow the instruction, and expect it not to work, but post back here and I will find the link with instructions how to make a few modification so it will work with ver 14.

Also, when you follow the setup instructions for Handbrake, I suggest you set it up initially exactly per the instructions. This will produce an mp4 file, which you do not need for your current project, but it will allow you to test your system. After that you can go into Handbrake, make the necessary changes for an mkv file with the audio setting required, save it as a preset and set that preset as the default. Then you will be golden.

When I first read through the instructions, I had to back away and do it later when I had the time, as it didn't appear to be something to rush. I was right, later I blocked an hour (more than enough time) and followed the instructions line by line. When done I was amazed as how easy it worked and since then any video going to YouTube or online I use this process to render.

And, Thank You for the explanation of what you are doing and getting the files from, sounds like a great project. I hope some of this is helpful and I will be reading any follow-ups in the event you run into hiccups.
Best Regards......George
The following user(s) said Thank You: vkmast

Posted 29 May 2017 04:25 #10

vkmast wrote:

Mosaic wrote: Following the link from there to "Vegas 2 Handbrake" www.vegasvideo.de/vegas-2-handbrake-en brought me to what looks like some kind of error message - web site down? Is there another place? Or can I do it without this automation?

Try using the link in this post .

vk, you posted ahead of me while I was typing too many words!!!! That's what I was trying to find and came up short.....you are always so good at this investigation thing, Thank You.
Best Regards......George
Last Edit:29 May 2017 04:26 by Eagle Six
The following user(s) said Thank You: vkmast

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.940 seconds