VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved After windows 10 crash my vegas pro 13 production assistant no longer loads

Managed to create win 10 bootable media on USB drive, only to discover that when I try go into BIOS to change to boot from USB, it asks me for a password.

Is there any way I can change to booting from USB without knowing the password.

I presume it was setup by the guy who sold me the system a few years ago. Unfortunately his company was bought out so I don't even think I can get in touch with him.
Last Edit:09 Jun 2017 12:02 by Cheersbigears

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

re VASST FasstApps including RenderAssistant.

You could download them here vasstsoftware.com/download/ but VASST have not been selling them directly and SCS site has dropped their Partner Products section which used to have them available. MAGIX do not sell them either. I understand VASST are looking into options to make them available to buy again, but I've seen nothing yet.

The RenderAssistant product page (As said, "Buy from Sony" does not give options to buy any more).
I too think your best bet is still what's been suggested.
by vkmast

Hi Paul (cheersbigears),

For "resetting" the BIOS, or in your case, removing the password, there are a couple of things you can try:

1. If you have the manual for the computer "motherboard", check to see what it says to "reset" the BIOS configurations. Typically, it involves, FIRST TURN OFF POWER!, but either removing or placing a small jumper on some pins. Can't tell you exactly, as there are so many brands, and the layout of the boards are different. (This is the reason I can't stand the PC Builders on YouTube who tell you to "throw out the manual...you don't need manuals...blah, blah, blah. Just like they keep saying no one needs Optical Disc Drives - guess they forgot that people burn DISCS for family/friends/clients?) :)
2. There may be a button/switch on the motherboard itself that is able to do this, though from past experience, sometimes not quite as effective as the jumper method above.
3. If you look at the motherboard, look for the battery. It is about the size of a quarter, and if you have newer "eyes" than me, may be able to see that it says "CR2032" as the "size". Remove the battery, and let it sit outside of the machine for a few minutes, and for good measure, just press the power button a few times while waiting (computer should be off and unplugged!). This is like any other electronics where it helps to "dissipate" some of the built up current/voltage or other electrical stuff. About 10 to 15 minutes does a really good job.
4. Depending on how "old" the motherboard is, you can also look along the back edge of the computer case where you would plug in the mouse/keyboard/monitor/usb items and such, and there may be a "button" to "Clear CMOS". This is essentially the same as Number 2 above,

Best advice is utilizing Numbers 1 or 3, as they will definitely clear everything out. You don't need to remove the motherboard from the computer chassis, though depending what is installed in the slots, cooler, location, etc., you may have to remove some "obstacles". If none of the above works, possibly someone you know that works on computers can help, or possibly take it to a local "Mom and Pop" computer shop, barring having to go the "retail route". Hopefully, you do have the motherboard manual, and recommend trying No.'s 1 & 3 first.

Mike "The Chief" O'Sullivan
MSI TRX40 Pro Wifi /3960X/128 GB TeamGroup/PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT/Win 10 Pro 64-Bit. VEGAS Pro 18&19 Edit/SoundForge Studio 15/Magix Xara Photo & Graphics Design/(2) Inland 2TB PCIe with OS & Apps, #2 Documents/Music/etc., (2) PNY 4TB EVO PCIe for source footage, Sabrent 2TB PCI-e Scratch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Many thanks for the information
Paul.

The good news is that I have managed to complete a clean install of win 10 onto drive C. I managed to overcome the bios password problem by booting from a DVD instead of a USB stick.

The bad news is that my original D drive which was marked as an 8TB hard disk which contains all my data is not recognised by the system. I don't know if it originally was 2 x 4TB disks made to work together as one. It shows up under disk management as Disk 1 and Disk 2 which both have an error icon with enclosed exclamation mark. Also both have the text 'Dynamic' and 'Foreign' against each disk. The instructions shown in the tutorial that you mentioned Derek 'optimising SSD and HDD' don't refer to this type of status. So at the moment I am a bit stuck, as I don't want to do anything that will lose my data if possible. In the worst case scenario I will have to reformat it as I believe I do have most of the data backed up however if there is any way I can save what is on that drive at the moment I would love to know about it. I have included a screen shot to show you what it currently looks like.
Many thanks
Paul
Attachments:

More good news - I decided to take the plunge and chose the 'import foreign disk' option - to my relief, after a couple of actions, I ended up with 2 x healthy dynamic online disks 1 and 2. Both assigned drive letter E and when I check My PC, they show up as a single spanned 8TB disk. Even better / all my data is still accessible. The only difference to before is that my DVD recorder is now assigned drive letter D and my 8TB data disk is letter E (which is mirror of what they were before).

Now all I have to do is reinstall all my software and hope it has got rid of the original problem.
Attachments:

Hi Paul,

You definitely got lucky there! Had you done any of the procedures I mentioned to clear the BIOS, you would not have been able to recover the data on the drives, unless you sent them out to a recovery service. Fortunately, reading your posts and seeing the screenshots, there are (2) 4 TB drives in the system, set up as "RAID 0". Since you had Windows 10 on previously, and no change in the BIOS per se, the BIOS was already set for this, or it was done as a "Soft RAID" via the Disk Management in Windows, and it was able to recover correctly. As I said, you are extremely lucky! :) On my other computer, after a BIOS upgrade, it kept having issues, and actually "destroyed" my RAID 1+0 (10), and I had to start over. Bummer. Lost all of my photos and videos I had at the time, as I had not backed them up to my server at the time. Yeah, learned a valuable "Hard" lesson that day. Now, as soon as I copy over my SD cards from the cameras, I don't delete anything off of them until I copy the contents to the server, off either one of my working computers, and even laptop.

I highly recommend you "Back-up" your data to an external drive, or burn to a Disc, since you have a burner. Windows tends to get "goofy" at times, and you "dodged that bullet" for now. No need to take any chances with that set-up, though having a "clean install" on the main drive is great.

Great to hear you're "Back in Business"!

Mike "The Chief" O'Sullivan
MSI TRX40 Pro Wifi /3960X/128 GB TeamGroup/PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT/Win 10 Pro 64-Bit. VEGAS Pro 18&19 Edit/SoundForge Studio 15/Magix Xara Photo & Graphics Design/(2) Inland 2TB PCIe with OS & Apps, #2 Documents/Music/etc., (2) PNY 4TB EVO PCIe for source footage, Sabrent 2TB PCI-e Scratch.

Thanks Mike - I hope I don't have to go through this again (for a while at least) - I'm pretty good at backing up - the problem I have is remembering where I have backed up to.

The great news is that my original problem with the root element missing seems to be resolved. Thank you to everyone who gave me advice but especially to Derek for such a great website. Thank you so much.
Regards
Paul
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen, mmcswnavy24

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.859 seconds