VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved MOV files and Vegas Pro 13 and Windows 10

MOV files and Vegas Pro 13 and Windows 10 was created by Cheersbigears

Posted 09 Jun 2017 20:49 #1
Hi Derek
Just when I get one problem solved - I hit upon another one.

I have done a clean install of Windows 10, reinstalled a lot of my software including the one in question today, Vegas Pro 13 and Production Assistant 2.

Everything ok so far. Loaded software and then tried to put my MOV file into my timeline - will not let me do it - just rejects it completely.

Tried many ways to try and get it to accept it but nothing works.

when I right click on timeline and click open, the file and media list that pops up, displays lots of file extensions but not .mov - but when I go into help, it tells me one of the new things in vegas pro 13 is that it now accepts .mov files.

Just to make it clear, prior to my previous problem with Production Assistant 2 which resulted in me performing a clean install of windows 10, I can say that everything worked perfectly and that vegas pro 13 quite happily accepted the very same MOV files and allowed me to convert them into mpg and mp4 files without any problems.

I have googled this a lot and all that I seem to get is that I need to buy some converter software which I didn't need to use prior to clean install. Once again I am pulling my hair out as I desperately need to get this working soon as I will be losing a lot of business in the mean time.

I may have mentioned it in my last post, that my system was pre-setup for me a few years back but that person or company is no longer around to ask what they did to get it working. Hopefully someone else may have had similar problem and solved it.

I will keep trying...

cheers
Paul
Last Edit:14 Jul 2017 13:40 by Cheersbigears

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic MOV files and Vegas Pro 13 and Windows 10

Posted 09 Jun 2017 22:41 #2
You need to install Apple Quicktime.
Apple no longer supports the latest version of QT on Windows 10, so you will need to install an older version of QT that does - v7.6

I have a direct link in this FAQ:
www.moviestudiozen.com/doctor-zen-faq/525-install-older-version-apple-quicktime-movie-studio-vegas-pro
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six

Replied by Cheersbigears on topic MOV files and Vegas Pro 13 and Windows 10

Posted 09 Jun 2017 23:34 #3
Hi Derek
I have downloaded QuickTime player v7.6 (472). Installed it. Ran it. Closed it. Rebooted computer. Ran Vegas Pro 13 but still exactly the same message with .mov file. Have I missed a step out or not done something.
Thanks
Paul
Last Edit:10 Jun 2017 13:39 by Cheersbigears
Attachments:

Posted 09 Jun 2017 23:56 #4
I followed you option 3 - resetting preferences and deleting cache, and it has partially succeeded- I can now drag .mov file into timeline or media section. But I still cannot see any video - only audio bands. Any idea how I can get full video - note, if I play same movie with VLC I can get both video and audio - playing same file within QuickTime also only gives me audio with black screen.
Cheers
Paul

Replied by DoctorZen on topic MOV files and Vegas Pro 13 and Windows 10

Posted 10 Jun 2017 13:38 #5
It sounds like the Video Codec being used inside the .MOV Container, is using a non-standard codec.
.mov is only a video container, which means not all .mov videos are the same.

Where is your .mov video coming from ?

Please use the free MediaInfo app and open your .mov video file with it.
mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo
Set View = Tree
Then take a screen shot and upload it the forum.

If the video won't even open in Quicktime, it definitely sounds like your video file is corrupt or using an exotic video codec that is not supported by mainstream programs.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Replied by vkmast on topic MOV files and Vegas Pro 13 and Windows 10

Posted 10 Jun 2017 16:45 #6
As the good Doc says. The long version from the old SCS KB is below. An archive of the legacy SCS KB is available from here, section 6.
by vkmast
Attachments:

Replied by Eagle Six on topic MOV files and Vegas Pro 13 and Windows 10

Posted 11 Jun 2017 00:27 #7
Just a few thoughts, hoping not to add any confusion as Derek and vkmast attempt to assist you......

I would use caution when attempting to find a codec for your source media. Unless you are familiar with the various codec and how to identify them, I would first do as Doctor Zen suggest using MediaInfo (free download) and post the screenshot (in text mode) so he and others can hopefully identify a solid reliable codec to download to install.

Some users in frustration have elected to download Codec Packs. These are free downloads which contain various codec's claiming to fix your issue. They often include various codec's which you already have and some you may not have. The problem often is, the codec's included in these Codec Packs, that you already have installed are inferior to the codec already installed in your system over righting the good codec with bad codec and the codec's included in the pack which you don't have do not solve your problems and pretty much can mess everything up! Unless you are familiar, or have it on good advise that the codec are safe, it is wise to avoid anything that resembles a Pack of Codecs.

If the proper codec cannot be easily identified and safely downloaded and installed, another method that may prove successful to get you up and running with your current project, until you can find the needed codec, is to use a conversion program, as Sony suggest in the information vkmast has posted ("You can transcode the file to a supported video format using a third-party utility"), and you have previously noted. I understand you didn't need this conversion process in the past, but it may get you out of a bind if finding the proper codec becomes illusive. In the past I have successfully used the free program "Any Video Converter".

You should also be able to use VLC Media Player to convert your problem .mov files, and because you already have VLC, that may be your preference.

Also......if you have the camera that created these .mov files in question, and that camera came with any programs (perhaps a utility app for viewing or simple editing) which you or the system builder installed, it is possible that this program installed a codec as a part of it's installation which may have been seamless to you, but placed the required codec on your system. Just a thought.
Best Regards......George
The following user(s) said Thank You: vkmast

Posted 11 Jun 2017 00:45 #8
Thanks guys for the replies.

I was so fed up with it last night and had downloaded so much rubbish that I decided to do another clean install of windows 10.
This has gone fine but so far has not got rid of my problem of only having the audio recognised.

I have been using the same MOV files for the last 3 years now - as I said before, my system was purchased fully setup with windows 7 and vegas pro 13 and production assistant 2 on it (as well as lots of other software but these are the main guys). Vegas pro 13 has been accepting and processing these MOV files without any problem whatsoever, even when windows cheekily upgraded itself to windows 10 overnight last year - everything still worked fine.

The MOV files I process are created on a Black Magic Hyperdeck and are stored on 256GB SSD's. Each MOV file is approx. 7.6GB in size and lasts approx. 5 minutes.

Earlier this week, windows reported an unrecoverable error which seemed to corrupt the whole process (see earlier post) so since then I have performed two FULL clean installs of windows 10 to try and get back to stage 2 weeks ago.

My friend who is also in the same business and uses the same equipment to produce the MOV files does NOT use Vegas Pro 13 but uses software called TmpGenc 5 which basically does everything that vegas pro 13 did. He has also been running for a few years without problem.
His system is still working fine. Good, I hear you say, just download the trial version of the latest TmpGenc 6 (30 day trial) and test it on that.
This I have done and have encountered the exact same problem as Vegas Pro 13 (audio only - no video).

Ok, now for the accessories - I have on my system Quicktime 7 pro - trying to play the MOV gives us same problem - audio but no video.
Aha, I hear you say, the culprit is obviously the MOV file (even though I have been using it without problem for 3 years now).
But then, I downloaded Videolan VLC player and guess what - nope, you didn't guess it - VLC plays my MOV with excellent video quality but no audio.

So now, I am fairly certain it is the CODEC so I have produced the different statistics for you to analyse and tell me the solution to all my troubles.

For MediaArea.net/MediaInfo see attachment 1.
Video = Quicktime VC-3, (DNxHD 175x) Audio= PCM
(note: Quicktime, Vegas Pro 13 and TmpGenc all play audio but no video)

For VLC - see attachment 2.
Video = DNxHD (AVdn) 1280x736 resolution, frame rate 50 Audio= PCM S24 LE (lpcm) 48000Hz
(note: VLC plays video but no audio)

So we have two bits of software analysing the media and coming up with similar information but VLC is the only one that actual recognise the video - WHY!!!

Hope you can help as I have pulled all my hair out by now.

Cheers
Paul
Attachments:

Posted 11 Jun 2017 01:07 #9
Thanks George. I was tempted to download a codec pack but as you say, it probably would be the wrong one or inferior and I have heard that these packs can uninstall your current codecs so I went against it - I did go on the black magic design support site and downloaded an update which I thought may have contained a suitable codec but now I'm not so sure about it.

The problem is my system was setup by quite a clever techie guy who tailored the everything to suit our needs (including the black magic hyperdeck) - it is my understanding that my camera feeds into the hyperdeck and it is the hyperdeck that produces and records the 7.6Gb MOV file onto the SSD. Unfortunately the business was bought out by not so techie people and the original guy moved onto pastures new so I have no contact whatsoever with him.

The way my system works is that I use Vegas Pro 13 (or TmpGenc as my friend uses) to batch input up to 40 of these large MOV files (overnight while I sleep) and convert them into individual MPG and MP4 files. If I use an external video converter I would have to do each one individually (I think) so would take forever. I am already building up a big backlog of these conversions which is very worrying.

I have already purchased Wondershare's Video Converter Ultimate which claims to be The Most Powerful Video Converter Ever in the market. When I tried to convert one of my MOV files, it seemed to be converting great as a could see video as it was converting but then it got to 99.5% and STOPPED - after 20 mins at 99.5%, I had to abort it.

Thanks again for all your comments, guys.

cheers
Paul

Posted 11 Jun 2017 01:13 #10
Sorry Derek
I have changed MediaIno to View-Tree ass follows:-

General
Complete name : D:\DVD Ready Files\TEMP Direct copy from SSD\2017-05-04 HYCCN\PF-04-05-02 Teigan Wells - KKpNe857ff.mov
Format : QuickTime
Format/Info : Original Apple specifications
Commercial name : DNxHD 175x
File size : 7.30 GiB
Duration : 5 min 10 s
Overall bit rate mode : Constant
Overall bit rate : 202 Mb/s
Encoded date : UTC 2017-06-26 18:10:15
Tagged date : UTC 2017-06-26 18:10:15
Writing library : Apple QuickTime

Video
ID : 1
Format : VC-3
Commercial name : DNxHD 175x
Format version : Version 1
Format profile : HD@HQX
Codec ID : AVdn
Codec ID/Info : Avid DNxHD
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 184 Mb/s
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 50.000 FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:2
Bit depth : 10 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 3.982
Stream size : 6.63 GiB (91%)
Language : English

Audio
ID : 2
Format : PCM
Format settings, Endianness : Little
Format settings, Sign : Signed
Codec ID : lpcm
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 18.4 Mb/s
Channel(s) : 16 channels
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Bit depth : 24 bits
Stream size : 682 MiB (9%)
Language : English

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.859 seconds