VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved How to turn off tangent function in Vegas Pro 12 masking

Trying to get the hang of masking in motion in Vegas Pro 12. Can't stop tangent function from getting in the way...any clues?

Watched tutorial about how to blur out a face. Is there any other info on this site about masking in motion in Pro 12?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic How to turn off tangent function in Vegas Pro 12 masking

Posted 22 Jul 2014 18:22 #2
You can Zoom In using the Wheel on your Mouse.
Also, you need to switch between the various modes.
So after adding Masking Points, you can return to "normal edit mode".

ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Attachments:

Still having problems with masking in motion....I appreciate the response, however, I need more info. I do use wheel zoom and also use mode switch, but mode switch does not always give me what I want:

When I switch to normal edit mode, the buttons don't always give me the dotted editing lines where I can move the whole mask. Also, when I am doing Shift/Click to move a whole line of points at once, I intermittently get the tangent lines. I have selected to hide all tangents, but they still appear at random.

I have watched several tutorials on this subject, but this problem I'm having has not been covered.

I'm sure it's all because I am just learning this...I am hoping for a Dr. Zen tutorial on masking and keyframing.

I am very grateful for any help. Thank you.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic How to turn off tangent function in Vegas Pro 12 masking

Posted 29 Jul 2014 11:22 #4
Can you make a Video Screen Capture showing exactly what the problem is and then upload it to YouTube ?
Then I will be able to see and understand exactly what you are getting at.

A common problem and easy mistake to do, is accidentally flip between Position Mode and Mask Mode.
So make sure you have Mask highlighted.
Also, be careful with the Padlock that you are not accidentally creating Keyframes on the mini-timeline.

ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:29 Jul 2014 11:23 by DoctorZen
Attachments:

Thanks for your response. Yes, I am sure I am using Mask Mode and not Position Mode. But I have hunted around and am not sure where the Padlock is that you mention. Yes, keyframes are being created..

Also, to do a Video Screen Capture of what's happening in the Pan/Crop window: Do I need to shoot my computer screen with an external cam or is there a way within Pro 12 to do this?

I have done a bunch of editing with Pro 12, but this is a whole new level for me...Vegas is vast..

Thanks again.

Posted 04 Aug 2014 13:13 #6
Here are instruction for how to take a screen shot from your computer.
PLEASE NOTE - the maximum size picture you can upload to Forum is 1920 pixels X 1280 pixels, with a maximum file size of 500kB.
If your screen shots are bigger than that, just send them to me in an email attachment !

Step 1 - Press PrtSc "Print Screen" on your keyboard.
This key is normally in top row of function keys.
This takes a screen shot.

Step 2 - Go to the Windows Search Bar and type "paint".
Windows Search is above Windows Start button on Windows 7. It is also in Windows 8 somewhere.
Select Paint from search results. Paint will open up.

Step 3 - Press PASTE.

Step 4 - Cut out section you want to keep.

Step 5 - Save as .PNG file
Remember to save this into a location/folder you will remember.

Step 6 - Upload screen shot to the Forum.
Press on blank space, find picture and select and then press Add File or Insert.
Add File uploads file and creates small thumbnail which expands to full picture.
Insert pastes full screen shot into your message.

Last Edit:04 Feb 2015 18:32 by DoctorZen
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ioannis Margaritis, Richard Jones

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.994 seconds