VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Transferring presets and legacy text to a new computer

• kkfung
  • kkfung's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2
  • Thank you received: 8

Transferring presets and legacy text to a new computer was created by kkfung

Posted 20 Nov 2017 05:20 #1
I have Vegas Pro 13 installed on an old computer. I want to install Vegas Pro 14 on a new computer.
Is it possible to transfer the presets and legacy text from the old computer to the new computer?
If so, how?
by kkfung

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Transferring presets and legacy text to a new computer

Posted 20 Nov 2017 07:02 #2
Hi KK

I have 2 different FAQ articles on this topic.
Presets are stored in different ways, depending on what type of plugins / FX you created presets for.

Most newer FX and Plugins use the OFX standard - for these types it is very easy to transfer from one computer to another, because all your presets should be sitting in a folder caller OFX Presets in your Documents folder.

Older FX and Plugins that don't use the OFX standard, are more difficult to work with, because they are stored in the Windows Registry.

Read this FAQ for further instructions:
www.moviestudiozen.com/doctor-zen-faq/572-how-do-i-backup-my-custom-presets

You can also use the Sony Vegas Preset Manager.
Read this for more info:
www.moviestudiozen.com/doctor-zen-faq/571-how-do-i-backup-my-audio-presets

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:21 Nov 2017 15:40 by DoctorZen

• kkfung
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2

Replied by kkfung on topic Transferring presets and legacy text to a new computer

Posted 22 Dec 2017 04:35 #3
Thanks.
Your instructions seem to relate only the video effects presets. The OFX Presets folder in the source computer contains no presets for text and pan/crop that I have created for Pro13.
How can these other non video effects presets be transferred to Pro14 on another computer?
by kkfung

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Transferring presets and legacy text to a new computer

Posted 22 Dec 2017 13:07 #4
The two items you are having problems with, are the two exceptions to the rule.

Let's look at the Text first.
If you are working with the Titles & Text presets, they are classified as OFX and will definitely appear in the OFX folder.
If you are working with the older Legacy Text window, that is a non-OFX plugin, which means any custom presets you save will not appear in the OFX folder. To transfer these types of presets, you need to open the Windows Registry, because that is where they are saved to.

I explained the differences between OFX and non-OFX in this FAQ and provide full instructions on how to backup and transfer both types of presets.
www.moviestudiozen.com/doctor-zen-faq/572-how-do-i-backup-my-custom-presets

You cannot transfer Event Pan/Crop presets from one computer into another, by copying and pasting a file.

One alternate method you could use is this.
Drop a random video file onto the Vegas timeline, in your old computer.

How many different saved Event Pan/Crop presets do you have ?
Let's say you have 10 saved presets.
Chop the video into pieces.
Now open Event Pan/Crop for video piece #1 and apply your first saved preset.
Next open Event Pan/Crop for video piece #2 and apply the second saved preset.
Repeat the process for all remaining Pan/Crop presets you have left and then Save As this project file.

Now go to your new computer and open the saved project file.
Open Event Pan/Crop for first video piece and then Save/Create a New Preset for Pan/Crop.
Repeat for all your remaining video pieces/pan/crop presets.
Now all your presets for Event Pan/Crop are on the new computer.

p.s.
There was one part of this puzzle that I failed to talk about originally and that is how to create a "chain" of Video FX and save as a preset.
I have written a new FAQ on this topic, in case you don't know how to do this.
www.moviestudiozen.com/doctor-zen-faq/586-how-to-save-a-chain-of-fx-presets-in-vegas
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

• kkfung
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2

Replied by kkfung on topic Transferring presets and legacy text to a new computer

Posted 22 Dec 2017 14:52 #5
Thanks.
Is there a way to convert the legacy non-OFX legacy text into OFX legacy text presets to save future trouble of working with the Registry?
Also, do you have a video tutorial to explain what a chain of video FX is?
by kkfung

Posted 22 Dec 2017 15:44 #6

kkfung wrote: Is there a way to convert the legacy non-OFX legacy text into OFX legacy text presets to save future trouble of working with the Registry?
Also, do you have a video tutorial to explain what a chain of video FX is?

I thought I just explained both of these things for you ?

Titles & Text is an OFX plugin
Legacy Text (older code) is a non-OFX plugin
You cannot convert anything.
I recommend using OFX plugins!

I wrote a new FAQ for you and linked it at the bottom, that explains chains.
No I do not have a video tutorial - I wrote an article.
Please read: www.moviestudiozen.com/doctor-zen-faq/586-how-to-save-a-chain-of-fx-presets-in-vegas

• kkfung
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2

Posted 22 Dec 2017 16:11 #7
Thanks.
I will create OFX titles and text presets instead in the future.
I use chains of video FX all the time but never realized that they could be saved as presets. They will save a lot time.

Before I started using Pro14, here comes Pro15. Has Pro15 put back the features that you missed in Pro14?
by kkfung

• kkfung
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2

Posted 23 Dec 2017 07:04 #8
I created some track motion presets, named and saved them. But when I reviewed what preset I had used for a given track, the preset is not named. Instead it says "undefined". That is very confusing. How to fix in order to show the name of preset chosen?
by kkfung

Posted 23 Dec 2017 07:44 #9
When you create (and name) a Custom Preset for the Track Motion tool and apply it, your video conforms to the new settings you created.
If you then re-open that same video you applied the custom preset to, you will not see the name of your custom preset at the top of the Preset field.
However, if you open the drop down box, you will see the saved custom preset listed.
You will also notice that the video is still conforming to the custom preset you created.

It is normal behaviour to see "Untitled" showing as the preset in preset field box, when you re-open a saved project that has used a custom preset in the Track Motion window.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.780 seconds