VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Wanting to store HD & UHD from my AX100 using Vegas Pro 14 in a playable file to a portable solid state HDD.

Hi Derek, In my continual quest for the best picture quality I have a couple of questions you may be able to answer. So far I have captured footage in HD 1920X1080 50p with the AX100. The picture is very good and I have then edited and rendered to 'Internet 1080p' which gave me a .Mp4 file which I can store on my portable solid state HDD. TV viewing of the footage reveals a great quality picture. I don't intend to use my footage on the Internet you understand. I am wondering if I chose a different render setting from the three 'XAVC' choices;
a) Which of the three do I use.
b) How do I set the file to be created, to be a .Mp4 file.
You notice all three 'XAVC' choices seem to have a choice of two render file options it would appear of .mxf & .mp4. If I try to just go ahead and render by one of the 'XAVC' options I always end up with a .mxf file?? Can you help me with this issue please?

Last Edit:06 Feb 2018 09:11 by Eagle eye.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I had not tried the last choice namely the XAVC S Long 1920x1080-50p, a friend told me that was probably the one to use. The result was a .mp4 file of some considerable size 7.8GB and a bit rate of 60.3 Mb/s. My 'Internet 1080p' render netted a 1.71GB file and 13.2Mb/s. Watching them both on my 65" 4K TV was the real eye opener, the smaller file to 'Internet 1080p' was just as good if not very slightly cleaner to watch. I guess I will just have to be satisfied with the 'Internet 1080p' render which is quicked to produce and very satisfying.

So it sounds like you have answered your own question.

XAVC Intra is the best quality, but not something you would use for final delivery.
Some experienced Vegas Pro users now convert all their videos at the beginning of a project into this format - so it is what you would use for "editing only" and "multiple re-renders" during the production stage. It is not something you would use for final delivery.

XAVC long is the professional standard version of the XAVC format.

XAVC S is the most common XAVC format that a lot of Sony cameras record to - this is the everyday version.

Here is an excellent video that explains things better than I can.

ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle eye.

Derek that video was just what I wanted, most all is clear now. One final little question, my AX100 can shoot in 4K at 60mb/s or can be set to 100Mb/s the later reduces my SD card record time by about half. However my query is can I have clips at 60 and 100Mb/s on the same timeline. Generally I would use 60Mb/s but for faster action I guess the higher data rate would be better, and hopefully it would render and retain any advantage??
Last Edit:25 Jan 2018 10:01 by Eagle eye.

Yes you could mix 60Mb/s and 100Mb/s together on the same timeline, however you may notice an inconsistency with the final rendered video, depending on what type of subject matter was recorded. Example = Blue Sky recorded at 60 Mb/s and Blu Sky recorded at 100 Mb/s.

Personally I would only record 4K video at 100Mb/s or higher.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Eagle Eye, I have that exact same camera ans also just record in 4K. That said when I rendered a 49 min video over the weekend in 4K it ended up being a 11+ GB file but when I rendered it in 1080p the size dropped down to 5.5+ GB, I played them both on my 65" LG TV and couldn't really see any difference and the 1080p is much easier to render (4K took over 6 hours! ) and upload to YouTube. It gets to where the point the human eye can't really distinguish the higher resolution and it just becomes a marketing ploy. We're not trying to view (at least I'm not) our videos on a billboard or rock concert. The only real advantage I can see with 4K is the ability to crop in and create a digital zoom effect or highlight some particular detail. That said though, with the increasing interest in 360 video the 4K ceiling is going to have to go to 8K or more to accommodate that format to become main stream. Don't get caught up in all the marketing high resolution hype and just work with what looks the best to you. Just my humble 2 cents, I'm sure others will disagree.
DESKTOP: Dell PC WINDOWS 10 PRO, 64-bit, Ver:1607, OS BLD: 14393.1066
INTEL Core: i7-4790, CPU @3.60 GHz, Inst RAM:16.0 GB
GeForce GTX 745, Driver ver: 376.53, Tot avail grap: 12225 MB, Ded vid mem: 4096 MB DDR3
Shared Sys Mem: 8159 MB, DirectX Runtime Ver:12.0

LAPTOP: MSI GE72MVR 7RG
GTX-1070

Thanks for your input, I have long questioned the value of 4K for the average viewer when 1080p looks so good on a large TV. Because I have a camera that is 4K capable I had to try it. Initially the 1920x1080 50p looked so good and the render times were OK. I built my computer around an Intel i7-6700K 32GB of DDR4 RAM on a Gigabyte GA-170X Gaming 3 motherboard with Win10 64bit installed. I thought this was nice two years ago. When I did some tests rendering 4K footage @ 100Mb/s I found for every hour of video I had to render for 3.6hrs to XAVC S 3840x2160 25p. However I have to say that that 4K rendered footage stored to my 250GB Samsung solid state portable hard drive and played into my 4K SONY TV is wonderfully sharp and clean. I think you have to choose the format to suit the type of project you are shooting. Most 1080p would do but then 4K for the special projects.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.859 seconds