VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Reversed Clip Preview Lagging in Vegas Pro 14 Edit

Reversed Clip Preview Lagging in Vegas Pro 14 Edit was created by AdrianM

Posted 08 May 2018 15:47 #1
Hi all.

New member here. Just a quick fun one that I haven't been able to get an answer out of support yet so I thought I might share it here.

I own both Vegas Movie studio platinum 14 as well as Vegas Pro edit 14. My thought was that pro edit would be an upgrade from the features and performance of platinum 14 but I have come across a strange anomaly that may be explainable.

I have often reversed 4k clips in platinum 14 and created recurring loops for example with chaining water videos so that it looks like a constant flow. In Platinum 14 it re-renders the reversed version of the clip before it is ready to use. This then means that when I go to loop it, I can see a lag free version of the clip in the preview window. This helps so that I can choose where in the video to create the loop. Upon buying and installing Pro 14 edit, I found that Edit doesn't seem to pre-render the reversed version of the file and therefore, my preview of any reversed video has a massive lag and is unusable. This is regardless of which preview quality I choose in the preview pane. Is this a matter of a simple tick box or does Pro edit have a way of dealing with reversed clips that seemed like a good idea but does not deliver? I would be happy to click on reverse clip and let it render while I go and get a cup of coffee so that it is usable but I cannot find this setting.

Despite the fact that I think that PC specs may be irrelevant as both my version of Vegas software is on the same PC, I will mention the specs anyway. I have a Windows 10 machine with i7 quad core, Radeon 580 8g Vid card and 48 gigs of Ram with internal SSD. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Last Edit:09 May 2018 14:38 by AdrianM

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Reversed Clip Preview Lagging in Vegas Pro 14 Edit

Posted 09 May 2018 14:59 #2
Hi AdrianM

Thanks for the good explanation.

There are a couple of different things in the mix here.
1. Creating Video Proxies (easier to play versions) for 4K videos in Vegas, can be done manually or set to happen automatically. You will need to check the setting below, to see if it is on or off in your version of Vegas.

Go to Options/Preferences/Video
Turn on/off Automatically create video proxies for Ultra HD media

2. If the setting above is turned OFF, you can manually create Video Proxies in the Project Media tab.
Right-click the videos you want to convert and select Create Video Proxy.

3. If Create Video Proxy is greyed out, it means a proxy version has already been rendered and available to use.
If you have created a proxy for Video A in Project A and then open the same video in a different project, you do not have to render another proxy, because it is already there. Proxy video versions are saved into the same folder your original 4K video is from. If you create proxies with Vegas Movie Studio Platinum, they will work in Vegas Pro as well.

4. You must set the Preview Window = Draft or Preview quality, to force the Proxy video versions to play.
Setting the Preview Window to Good or Best, is meant to play the original 4K version.

5. Make sure your Graphics Card is turned on in the Preference Settings.
Go to Options/Preferences/Video
GPU Acceleration of Video Processing must be turned ON.

6. If you are using an older model Graphics Card, turn on a new setting in the Preferences.
Go to Options/Preferences/General
More than half way down is Allow Legacy GPU Rendering - turn ON.

7. If you are using the same 4K videos from Vegas Movie Studio Platinum, in Vegas Pro 14, you may need to refresh the Video Proxies. Go to the folder your 4K videos live in. Video Proxies will end in .sfvp0 Delete them and create fresh proxies with VP14.

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:09 May 2018 17:13 by DoctorZen
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: AdrianM

Replied by AdrianM on topic Reversed Clip Preview Lagging in Vegas Pro 14 Edit

Posted 09 May 2018 15:32 #3
Thanks Doctorzen,

That was very fast and super helpful. I'm going to give this a go once I get home.

Regards, Adrian.
by AdrianM
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Replied by AdrianM on topic Reversed Clip Preview Lagging in Vegas Pro 14 Edit

Posted 22 May 2018 16:37 #4
Thank you for the info. This was indeed the case.

One more question: How do I mark this as 'solved'?

Thank you.
Last Edit:22 May 2018 19:57 by AdrianM

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Reversed Clip Preview Lagging in Vegas Pro 14 Edit

Posted 22 May 2018 20:01 #5

Thank you for the info. This was indeed the case.

Can you tell use which specific thing fixed your problem ?

One more question: How do I mark this as 'solved'?

I normally go through the forum once a week and mark items solved myself.
You can do it yourself, editing one of your messages in the forum thread.
Press Action (bottom of editor) then Edit, then select the Check symbol.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 1.058 seconds