VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved VP 16 - getting clips from media bin to timeline and turning off scrubber

• ilyk49
  • ilyk49's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 3
  • Zen Level 3
  • Thank you received: 13
I just purchased VP 16, but am totally confused about how it works. I've been using VP 14 and 15 for years and have had no issue getting my clips from the media bin to the timeline - simply highlight the clip and drag it into the timetlime. This does not seem to work with VP16!! When I click on a clip in the media bin in VP 16 I can't drag it into the timeline - all that happens is that the cursor scrubs through the clip. How do you drag clips from the media bin to the timeline in VP16. And also, how do you turn off the scrubber when you click on a clip in the timeline - it's so annoying.
Last Edit:29 Aug 2018 18:09 by ilyk49

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I am not experiencing the problem you are describing.
I can still drag any piece of media in the Project Media window to the timeline.

Try turning off GPU Acceleration in Options/Preferences/Video
Re-boot Vegas.
See if you can drag now.
If it works now, go back and turn GPU back on and re-boot Vegas again.
Does it still work now ?

One thing I have learnt so far, is for the Storyboard - Main Timeline folder.
You need to hold down the ALT key to change positions of thumbnails - if media is already on the timeline, it will change the order here as well.

This is what the Vegas Help file says:
Project Media Hover Scrubbing
When the Project Media list is in Thumbnail Mode (see below under Changing the appearance of the Project Media window) you can hover with your mouse pointer over the thumbnail picture of a video to scrub thru it. This is like a simplified version of the the Trimmer window. As with the big trimmer window, you can click into the picture and drag to select a part of the video. And you can import just this selection into the time line, offering you a way to roughly edit of your movie directly from the project media window.

To make a selection in the thumbnail, you can:

Click and drag over the thumbnail to select the part of the item you want to load.
Select the item with a left-click. Then, while hovering over the item at the desired location, press I to set the In Point and O to set the Out Point.
To edit the In- and Out-Points, drag the handles at the upper edge of the thumbnail with the mouse.

You can dynamically re-size the thumbnails by using Ctrl+Mouse Wheel.

To load an item from the Project Media window into the project, you can:

Drag it into the time line to the desired position. If there is a selection in the thumbnail, only this part will be used for the new created event.
Because media selection is also performed by dragging it is important that you start dragging vertically to not accidentally destroy your selection.

Select the track and place the cursor at the position where the item should be inserted. Double-click the item or press the Enter key to load.
ℹī¸ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:29 Aug 2018 18:09 by DoctorZen
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six, vkmast

Thanks Doc for the tips you give here regarding VP 16. We all need those tips and some time to get acquainted with the new features of v.16.
by vkmast

DoctorZen wrote: Because media selection is also performed by dragging it is important that you start dragging vertically to not accidentally destroy your selection.

Clips from the Project Media bin can be added to the time by double left clicking on the clip and it will be added to the track at the track cursor position. Or, with the clip selected, hit the return key and again it will be added to the track at the track cursor position. Or, left click on the clip and drag it to the timeline track location of choice, the trick is when dragging, to initially drag the clip down vertically until the 'arrow' turns into the red circle with a line through it, then it can be dragged left/right and down to the timeline. Once used to this it works like a charm, at least for me.

In the past I haven't been excited or used a storyboard. With the Storyboard feature in Vegas 16, it is pretty slick and I think I will be using it often.
Best Regards......George
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen, vkmast, ilyk49

• ilyk49
  • Zen Level 3
  • Zen Level 3
Thanks Derek I'll try all that and let you know.
by ilyk49

• ilyk49
  • Zen Level 3
  • Zen Level 3
Hi George Thanks for that. I'll try all these as well and let you know.
Last Edit:31 Aug 2018 10:48 by ilyk49
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six

• ilyk49
  • Zen Level 3
  • Zen Level 3
Thanks Derek and George That all works. Your help is much appreciated.

Last question - can you turn off the hover scrub when selecting a clip in the project media or even when in the trimmer window? Is so, how do you do it?
by ilyk49

I haven't discovered an on/off to the Hover Scrub. Reading various post on the Vegas Creative Software forums, it appears it cannot be turned off, as several have requested that feature for future releases. On the other hand, I haven't looked hard either.
Best Regards......George
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.807 seconds