VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved "MXF OP-Atom" in Magix Vegas Pro 16

"MXF OP-Atom" in Magix Vegas Pro 16 was created by ilona-k

Posted 16 Sep 2018 02:32 #1
Hello,

Maybe someone could help me again with one interesting and important question?

I wanted to know does Magix Vegas Pro 16 opens mxf files (I have a video in "MXF OP-Atom" format) and I don`t want to encode it to some other format to open it in Vegas (don't want to loose the quality). Maybe there are some ways how it is possible to open it there?

Thank you in advance,
Ilona. :)
by ilona-k

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic "MXF OP-Atom" in Magix Vegas Pro 16

Posted 16 Sep 2018 09:49 #2
Have you downloaded the free trial for Vegas Pro 16 yet ?
You can press the Ad at the top of the page here and it will take you directly to a download link.

Do that and then import your .mxf video file - then you will discover the answer.
.MXF files are supported by Vegas Pro
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six

Replied by Eagle Six on topic "MXF OP-Atom" in Magix Vegas Pro 16

Posted 16 Sep 2018 10:27 #3
Hi Ilona,

If I'm not mistaken the OP-Atom is an Avid Composer container .MXF, consisting of various parts within which could include DNxHD, DNxHR, Avid 1:1 video and also audio files. I have never been able to open these up in Vegas, including ver 16. I think the only thing compatible is Avid Composer (but I have never worked with Composer so that is a guess). Vegas Pro 16 will open and handle Sony MXF, and maybe some others based on the Sony codec, and will open and handle Avid DNxHD and DNxHR files wrapped in the mov container. However, as Dr. Zen suggest, the trial version is your best bet to test yourself directly. Good Luck with it.
Best Regards......George
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Replied by DoctorZen on topic "MXF OP-Atom" in Magix Vegas Pro 16

Posted 16 Sep 2018 10:38 #4

Eagle Six wrote: Hi Ilona,

If I'm not mistaken the OP-Atom is an Avid Composer container .MXF, consisting of various parts within which could include DNxHD, DNxHR, Avid 1:1 video and also audio files. I have never been able to open these up in Vegas, including ver 16. I think the only thing compatible is Avid Composer (but I have never worked with Composer so that is a guess). Vegas Pro 16 will open and handle Sony MXF, and maybe some others based on the Sony codec, and will open and handle Avid DNxHD and DNxHR files wrapped in the mov container. However, as Dr. Zen suggest, the trial version is your best bet to test yourself directly. Good Luck with it.

Thank you George for expanding on this :)

I also found this post on the official Vegas Pro forums here, which says this format is not supported in Vegas.
I don't have any MXF OP-Atom videos to test in Vegas, so I don't know if VP16 supports this.
www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/dnxhd-mxf--94516/

Ilona, if you are working with Avid DNxHD files in Windows, make sure to install the free Avid Codecs pack.
This probably won't help you with your MXF OP-Atom problem, but will help for more general Avid video situations.
A few months ago I published a tutorial on how to export Avid DNxHD video here .
If you go to this section of the tutorial, you will find a download link to official Avid Codecs LE_2.7.3_Win
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:16 Sep 2018 10:48 by DoctorZen
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six

Posted 17 Sep 2018 00:56 #5
Hi Ilona,

I think I see now what you are doing. If I'm not mistaken you are rendering from Davinci Resolve in MXF OP-Atom, hoping to bring that into Vegas to apply some FX that you are familiar with to reduce the banding you are getting from your system.

I think the best you can do is render from Resolve in Quicktime, DNxHR 444 12 bit (mov), then bring this into Vegas for your adjustments. If you are then taking it back to Resolve, render out of Vegas in Magix Intermediate XQ, Sony XAVC Intra, or maybe Sony MXF HDCAM, to take back into Resolve, or render out of Vegas to your delivery format of choice if no need for further processing in Resolve.

I'm not familiar with your Ursa 4K camera, so I'm of no help there, but would tend to think maybe there is something in your desktop system (display) that may be causing the banding, rather than it being in the 12 bit source media. Again, not familiar with your setup, so I'm just guessing!
Best Regards......George
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Posted 17 Sep 2018 01:01 #6
Ops, I missed this, there is also Uncompressed YUV 10 bit, that you could render from Resolve to Vegas. It will take some trial and error and checking on the colors to see which of the render format from Resolve will retain the maximum quality going into Vegas, but I'm sure you know this.
Best Regards......George
The following user(s) said Thank You: ilona-k

Replied by ilona-k on topic "MXF OP-Atom" in Magix Vegas Pro 16

Posted 22 Sep 2018 03:13 #7
Yes, thank you. I`ll try this YUV 10 bit ;)
Last Edit:25 Sep 2018 08:10 by ilona-k

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 1.108 seconds