VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Idea Archiving 4K or 1080p footage.

Archiving 4K or 1080p footage. was created by Eagle eye.

Posted 01 Nov 2018 08:11 #1
Hi Derek,
I have been away from video creation a bit this past year, due other priorities. Two years ago I bought a new SONY AX100 camera, a great 1080-50p or 4K-25p camera. Unfortunately I have not used it much. I used it to record in 1080-50p a family video and edited using VP14 & saved footage in MP4 to a Samsung portable solid state drive. The resultant picture played back through the SONY UBP-X800 players USB3 plug was excellent even though it was in MP4 and played on a 65” 4K TV. I would have preferred to have chaptered it and burned it to a BD-R disk but it would have interlaced or to 25p.
So good was the picture from the hard drive I tried to find any whisper of the UHD Blu-ray disk but soon realised my DVD architect wasn’t capable anyway. I could use a
BDXL ‘M’ disk to archive and store the chapters under the video title folder on the hard drive I guess. Archiving to ‘M’ disk would be expensive & I still can’t chapter like a BD-R creation?!
What’s the latest thinking Derek, where is 1080-50p & 4K at for archiving?
Kind regards
Warren Eagleton.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Archiving 4K or 1080p footage.

Posted 02 Nov 2018 09:26 #2
Hi Warren

I don't know if there is any latest thinking on this topic, but this is what I am noticing.

The only trend that does seem to be happening, is more and more people are using NAS servers at home.
A NAS drive (server) has much larger capacity than internal hard drives in your computer.
Every device in your home can then access the NAS for play back.
www.pccasegear.com/category/617/nas

So in answer to your question, I think more and more people will be using large capacity NAS drives.
They can be set up in many different configurations.
Example: Every file can be copied twice, so you have a backup.

When I have enough funds, this is the solution I will be going for.
My PC is bursting with Hard Drives and I can't put anymore in.
It makes more sense to invest in a NAS Drive as my long term storage/archive solution.

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:02 Nov 2018 15:12 by DoctorZen
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six

Replied by Eagle eye. on topic Archiving 4K or 1080p footage.

Posted 02 Nov 2018 11:35 #3
Thanks, its very interesting that you and many others are thinking like this. Because I have been always after the best picture possibe I have not considered MP4 quite so much. However in making this last movie of family I was struck by the great quality achievable with a small file size! For a person like me I think having the ability to store these video's on a BDXL 'M' disc is probably the cheaper & safer option than a portable hard drive that are expensive and not unknown to fail. The file I have mentioned was 1.7GB and the duration was 28mins, that means a one hour movie would only occupy some 3.6 to 3.7 GB in 1920x1080 50p MP4. So by my calculations a BDXL 'M' disc could store about 27 hrs of MP4. Thanks for sharing your ideas as well Derek.
Regards.
Last Edit:02 Nov 2018 11:38 by Eagle eye.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.700 seconds