VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved VHS Tape digitised to mp4

• BobH
  • BobH's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 4
  • Zen Level 4
  • Thank you received: 23

VHS Tape digitised to mp4 was created by BobH

Posted 18 Nov 2018 22:37 #1
For a colleague I have digitised an old VHS tape so I can burn to a DVD disc.
When playing the tape in the VHS deck there are some lines on the video due to tracking issues. Perhaps some of you can remember these issues.
My question is which video fx I might use to try and remove these lines and improve the quality. Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks
BobH
Last Edit:19 Nov 2018 19:43 by BobH

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Robbie on topic VHS Tape digitised to mp4

Posted 19 Nov 2018 01:02 #2
Hi Bob
Tracking issues are some of the more difficult issues to deal with in tape conversions for sure. I’m not aware of any easy fix but ...
  1. Best option is always to avoid/reduce the problem at source rather than trying to fix I n post production. Capturing from the equipment the source was recorded on is the best place to start if possible but as time goes by this is a less likely option. Does the deck you are capturing from allow you to adjust tracking – this may help to either eliminate the tracking lines in a new capture or may shift where the tracking line occurs (more in 2). Do you have or can you borrow another player? Don’t know if it will be helpful here, but it’s always good practice to fast forward and then rewind tapes before capturing – helps with tensioning and contact with the heads.
  2. If you can’t get a clean(er) capture, try compositing two clips. If you can get a second capture with tracking lines in a different spot you may be able to mask the problem on one layer to reveal a better image on the second layer. If the tracking line moves, you might try to keyframe the masking. If a second/different capture the next best option may still be able to get some improvement by using two copies of the same capture, offsetting the second clip and then masking the tracking on the primary.
  3. May need different solutions for different sections of the video.
Probably not what you were hoping for, but not sure what else I can suggest.
Cheers, Robbie
by Robbie
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Replied by DoctorZen on topic VHS Tape digitised to mp4

Posted 19 Nov 2018 19:49 #3
Could you upload a small sample of your video to YouTube and then share a link on the forum ?

Boris FX makes an Image Restoration plugin that has many different types of Filters you can apply.
borisfx.com/products/continuum-units/image-restoration/

I am about to buy the full Borix FX Continuum Suite, because it is 25% off right now.
If I could access a sample of your video, I would love to see if it can help remove the lines.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

• BobH
  • BobH's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 4
  • Zen Level 4
  • Thank you received: 23

Replied by BobH on topic VHS Tape digitised to mp4

Posted 20 Nov 2018 02:54 #4
Hi again and thank you for your replies.

I believe the video was made some time in the 60s, perhaps on Hi8 and then in some way transferred to VHS tape. When I play it on my TV the quality is very poor. My friend appreciates this but just wanted it put on DVD as a record of his parents holidays. I have done this and tried to improve it a little without taking too much time as it will still be poor quality. I just thought there might be a VEGAS video fx that might help a little. Thanks for the suggestions but I don't want to spend more time on this.

Thanks again
BobH
Last Edit:04 Dec 2018 08:41 by BobH

Replied by kiwihans on topic VHS Tape digitised to mp4

Posted 23 Nov 2018 09:58 #5
I have just completed a job of 13 VHS tapes to digital format. It looks like cheap tapes purchased from a super market in the 1960's produce thin black lines coming in from the left on the screen. High quality tapes - Panasonic, Sony or Maxel play back nice and clean!
I believe the tape control track gets compressed by the tape being stored horizontally instead of upright. Left for many years storage this makes for problems.
I couldn't get rid of the black lines ..... you might get an improvement if you invest in a AVT-8710 time base corrector. B&H New York have these in stock, they run at approx. $US 300.00
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.733 seconds