VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Render options in VP 16 Suite

Render options in VP 16 Suite was created by Nashville Side Streets

Posted 18 Dec 2018 03:01 #1
Dear Friends,
Help, please!
Just having upgraded from VP14, I am getting used to 16. Yesterday I rendered a 7 second chunk of a project and everything worked fine. It rendered very quickly, taking about a minute and a half. Then, after making a few simple changes like adjusting a fade, I tried rendering the same 7 second chunk with the same render settings. This time it took about 45 minutes! The project has 60 tracks; almost all of them are short clips pieced together on different tracks for different effects or keys.
I am using Windows 10 on a 64 bit system with 64 GB. I watched Dr. Zen's troubleshooting tutorial, checked all my settings, tried selective prerender, proxy, reset all defaults, rebooted and tested the same chunk many times with no improvement. I deleted temp. files cache and did all 3 security scans I have installed. I also ran disk check/repair.
I'm sure it is operator error somewhere. I am suspecting a preference or render setting. I have checked/unchecked boxes I thought might help, still no change. The new render options are a bit confusing, but it had been working ok and suddenly changed for no apparent reason that I could detect. I have turned everything off, had a cup of tea, went for a walk, had a night's sleep--still having issues!
Last Edit:18 Dec 2018 10:06 by Nashville Side Streets

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Render options in VP 16 Suite

Posted 18 Dec 2018 10:24 #2
Hi Nashville

If you have used selectively pre-render, you need to delete those pre-renders.
I have found selective pre-renders to be problematic under certain conditions.
Go to Tools/Clean Up Pre-rendered Video

However, I doubt pre-rendering is causing your problem.
You probably need to look at your GPU settings.

Vegas Pro 16 can render (basically) in 4x different ways, depending on what type hardware your computer has installed.
1. CPU only
2. Intel Quicksync (integrated graphics which is part of may Intel CPUs)
3. Nvidia GPU rendering using NVENC
4. AMD GPU rendering using VCE

First go to Options/Preferences/Video
GPU Acceleration
What options do you have here ?

If you have a good Nvidia graphics card or AMD Radeon graphics card, that will be the best option for you to select.

When you go back to the Render As window, make sure to select MAGIX AVC/AAC .mp4 - this is the new encoder that renders fastest.
If you activated Nvidia graphics, you should see NVENC Template options - select these for faster rendering.
If you activated AMD Radeon graphics, you should see VCE Template options - select these for faster rendering.

TIP: There are also further advanced render settings when you press Customize Template button after selecting a Template.

Final thought: There could be something corrupted in your project or something you have accidentally added that is slowing down the entire rendering process.
If you have accidentally added some Video FX that effect the entire project, that could cause very long render times.
An example is adding Sharpening FX and setting the slider way too high! - Doing this will grind rendering to a holt.

For testing purposes, I recommend you open a previous project you have made in the past and try rendering that with the settings I have recommended OR start a new test project and add some test videos and try a render.

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:18 Dec 2018 10:26 by DoctorZen

Replied by Nashville Side Streets on topic Render options in VP 16 Suite

Posted 18 Dec 2018 15:48 #3
Thank you so much, Dr, Zen. You are always very quick to respond!
Turns out I already had the settings as you suggested, and it was great to find out I did ok with those.
What I didn't know was your advice about FX. I did, in fact, have the Sharpen slider almost all the way up in 2 of the stacked clips.
When changing that still didn't help--I discovered that another FX was the culprit, which was Sapphire EdgeRays in another clip.
The only slider there that was all the way to the right was the color red. Maybe a glitch with Sapphire or with me...
There's another tutorial you could consider doing, on the new FX. I'd like to be able to use them; some of them are pretty cool.

Again, thank you for keeping me from tearing out every last hair on my head!
I hope you are feeling good and your health issues are resolved.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Posted 18 Dec 2018 18:48 #4

When changing that still didn't help--I discovered that another FX was the culprit, which was Sapphire EdgeRays in another clip.
The only slider there that was all the way to the right was the color red. Maybe a glitch with Sapphire or with me...

I discovered that when I tried to use any Sapphire FX in Vegas with GPU Acceleration turned ON, that Vegas would freeze/crash.
When I turned GPU Acceleration OFF in Options/Preferences/Video, all the Sapphire FX would work OK without crashing.
I am still using a very old Nvidia graphics card in my own computer and older Nvidia drivers, so I am assuming that my GPU and Drivers are not compatible with Sapphire FX. It may be a similar problem with your own computer ? You could try rendering with GPU acceleration turned OFF when using Sapphire FX, however that would then mean you can only render with your CPU only. Anyway, try an experiment and see what happens.

Cheers :)
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:18 Dec 2018 18:49 by DoctorZen

Posted 19 Dec 2018 13:52 #5
I tried turning off the GPU while rendering a Sapphire FX. Drivers are up to date. It didn't crash again but it still took about 8 minutes to render 10 seconds of video...So a tough choice: either turn off GPU and wait forever while it renders or don't use any Sapphire FX...

Posted 19 Dec 2018 17:22 #6
What model graphics card are you using ?
Which Driver version do you have installed ?

If you have an Nvidia GPU, right-click the Windows Desktop and select Nvidia Control Panel.
Go to Help/System Information
Model will be on left side and driver on right.

Attachments:

Posted 20 Dec 2018 14:35 #7
Model: GeForce GT 730
Driver version: 391.35

Posted 20 Dec 2018 16:05 #8

Nashville Side Streets wrote: Model: GeForce GT 730
Driver version: 391.35

Your graphics card is the problem here, which is the same problem I have.
A GeForce GT 730 is only a budget low powered card and it is also a much older generation GPU.

Video FX like Sapphire, require the latest generation Nvidia graphics and drivers to work correctly.
The official Tech Specs on the Boris FX website only mention something vague that says:
GPU acceleration available for NVIDIA cards only. The latest NVIDIA CUDA card and driver is recommended.

If you want it to work correctly, I recommend upgrading your Graphics Card to an Nvidia GTX 1060 or higher.
A graphics card like the GTX 1060 will not only make Sapphire work properly it would also speed up your rendering times quite a lot in Vegas and help with timeline playback.
www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dcomputers-intl-ship&field-keywords=GeForce+GTX+1060

Personally I am patiently waiting to build a complete new computer next year.
My computer is 7 years old, so it's time to update everything - however it does still work OK, maybe just a bit slow.
Last Edit:20 Dec 2018 16:06 by DoctorZen

Posted 20 Dec 2018 17:45 #9
Well, the card worked fine in VP14 and we have 64GB of RAM with the fastest chip on the market. So, aside from the new Boris & Sapphire FX, it seems like the Vegas FX shouldn't have any problem rendering. I did find that I used Sharpen all the way up in a few clips and lowered that. I also found some color sliders all the way to the right and changed those. I will go through the project clip by clip and look at all FX I've got to see if they are up too high, but it doesn't make sense to me that they worked ok in 14 with the card we have. I have tried to render the 60 tracks twice in 16. The finished project will be a bit over 4 minutes long. The attempted rendering was taking over an hour and twice stopped dead in the middle without finishing. Must be something I'm doing wrong...never had this sort of problem before. Appreciate any thoughts...Thank you.

Posted 20 Dec 2018 22:56 #10
If there are many different Video FX like Boris and Sapphire in a Vegas project, and the renders keep failing, the only thing you can really do is make sure the GPU is turned OFF in Options/Preferences/Video and render with your CPU only.

Vegas Pro 16 uses a completely different rendering engine now - MAGIX AVC
Vegas Pro 14 only used the old Mainconcept encoder.
This is why you are noticing some differences.

The new Magix AVC encoder has been specifically built to work with the latest Graphics Cards using the latest and best GPU architecture.
Your current graphics card (GT 730) is not capable of utilizing the new rendering engine properly.
This is why I am advising that you consider upgrading your graphics card to one of the latest models.
An Nvidia GTX 1060 is the minimum I recommend, if you want to get the best performance out of Vegas Pro 16.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.825 seconds