VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Navigation in formats other than DVD and Blu-ray

• Robbie
  • Robbie's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 4
  • Zen Level 4
  • Thank you received: 79

Navigation in formats other than DVD and Blu-ray was created by Robbie

Posted 19 Jan 2019 22:03 #1
Hi all
Some background – Three years ago my son and daughter started a smallish suburban dance school. Not big enough to hire a professional videographer for the annual concert my other son has videoed the event and I’ve edited and delivered to DVD and Blu-ray. A much loved feature in any dance school DVD and Blu Ray is the scene selection menu that allows families and friends to quickly jump to the items their children are featured in.
This year we’ve had a couple of requests for the video to be delivered on USB sticks for playing on PCs and TVs - which we are happy to do. However, this is new territory for me and I’d welcome advice on couple of things:
  • I’m thinking that for this purpose MP4 would be the best/safest format - EDIT (AVC and AAC).
  • I know some formats allow markers to be saved to the rendered file (eg Main Concept Mpeg 2 yes, Sony AVC yes, Magix AVC and HEVD no) but not all video players will recognise the markers as chapters. Even if this does work, it would only enable the viewer to jump to the next “chapter”. Is there any way when delivering as a video file on a USB to include the ability to navigate directly to specific scenes – or is that a feature the client just has to forego with this delivery format? From what I’ve been able to find on the ‘net I’m thinking its not doable.
Any comments or recommendations would be appreciated.
Cheers, Robbie
Last Edit:21 Jan 2019 09:33 by Robbie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Navigation in formats other than DVD and Blu-ray

Posted 21 Jan 2019 09:31 #2
There is only one way I know how to do this.

Using Cyberlink's Power DVD 18 Ultra, you can playback any ISO file for a DVD or Blu-ray disc.
www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdvd-ultra/features_en_AU.html?affid=2581_1326_540

Instead of burning a disc with DVD Architect, save as an ISO file only.
An ISO file is a perfect copy of a disc image file - this is what is normally burnt onto a disc to create your DVD or Blu-ray.

Power DVD 18 Ultra allows you to play any ISO file and it will behave exactly like you are playing a disc with Menus.
If you have a modern Smart TV that is connected to your Home's WiFi Network, you can stream playback from your computer directly to the TV.
The first time you do this, your computer will prompt you to install a Driver to make this work.

Cyberlink also has many helpful tutorials for how to use Power DVD and connect it to other devices.
directorzone.cyberlink.com/tutorial/pdvd/

You can also connect a Desktop PC directly to a TV using an HDMI cable and playback that way as well.

ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:21 Jan 2019 09:35 by DoctorZen
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robbie

• Robbie
  • Robbie's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 4
  • Zen Level 4
  • Thank you received: 79

Replied by Robbie on topic Navigation in formats other than DVD and Blu-ray

Posted 21 Jan 2019 16:31 #3
Thanks Derek. Since I don't know what options and set up each of the recipients has I'm thinking I'll provide a USB with a couple of folders - one containing a single file of the whole concert and one containing individual files for each item.
Cheers Robbie.
by Robbie

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Navigation in formats other than DVD and Blu-ray

Posted 21 Jan 2019 16:50 #4

Robbie wrote: Thanks Derek. Since I don't know what options and set up each of the recipients has I'm thinking I'll provide a USB with a couple of folders - one containing a single file of the whole concert and one containing individual files for each item.
Cheers Robbie.

That's really the only way you can do it safely.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.836 seconds