Solved Problem with Vegas Pro 14 and 16

• Thank you received: 16

Problem with Vegas Pro 14 and 16 was created by Nashville Side Streets

Hello Forum,
I am on Windows 1o, 64 bit, VP 16 Build 361.
I upgraded to 16 Suite last year in the fall, while keeping 14 (I skipped 15) in my hard drive. I don't use 14 now, so I might just need to uninstall it. Lately, when I try to open the Help menu in 16, the program stops responding. A window pops up with the choice of either Close the program or Wait till it responds. When I close it and reopen, instead of reopening 16, 14 automatically opens and tries to load my 16 project--which of course does not work. Then my 16 project has gone off into the sunset somewhere and the search box in This PC turns up nothing.

Would it be best to just uninstall 14? Could I back all of 14 up onto a jump drive? Any other suggestions?
21 Mar 2019 23:46 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 567

Replied by Eagle Six on topic Problem with Vegas Pro 14 and 16

Here are some things I would try.....

First, I would perform a full reset. Hold down the 'Ctrl+Shift' keys, then double left click on the Vegas Pro 16 desktop shortcut. This is should bring up a small window, check the box 'Delete all cached application data', then left click on 'Yes'. This will reset Vegas Pro 16 to it's original installation settings, and it will delete the pesky cached application data that can build up and sometimes cause Vegas Pro to do strange things.

If you have rearranged your Vegas Pro 16 display, like resizing the windows or placing them in different locations, etc., and have not as yet saved a custom windows layout, do this before the full reset. Go to View > Windows Layout, Save Layout As.., and give it a unique name. After the full reset you can recall this layout.

Second, if that does not solve the Help issue, I would perform a search (Window Explorer) of your C: drive for 'vegas160.chm', right click on this file and select 'create shortcut' and place that on your desktop. This is the Help file for Vegas Pro 16. This way you can access the help file directly without needing to do it from within Vegas. If accessing this way does not interfere with you also running Vegas Pro 16, then you have a Help file work around. My vegas160.chm is located in C:\Program Files (x86)\VEGAS\Shared Plug-Ins\Help Files\, but yours could be in a different folder.

Third, if you are opening/loading Vegas Pro 16 by clicking on your Project.veg file, that will often attempt to open an older installation of Vegas Pro for me also. This appears to have something to do with Windows. I think there is actually a thread about this here in this forum, perhaps with a search you can find it. I don't remember the specifics, if there was a solution or not. Hopefully some of this will help and if not, other members will have some suggestions.

EDIT TO ADD: Also, I would not uninstall Vegas Pro 14. Although that may have something to do with your issues, normally there is not requirement for uninstalling a previous version, as they are their own stand-alone products. So, for now I would hold on to v14, you may actually need it for some compatibility issue to work on a project that you created with it.
Best Regards......George
22 Mar 2019 02:05 #2

Replied by Nashville Side Streets on topic Problem with Vegas Pro 14 and 16

Thank you so much for taking the time to give me all these instructions! I will try all of it.
Thanks again!
22 Mar 2019 06:20 #3

• Thank you received: 461

Replied by vkmast on topic Problem with Vegas Pro 14 and 16

Eagle Six wrote: "Third, if you are opening/loading Vegas Pro 16 by clicking on your Project.veg file, that will often attempt to open an older installation of Vegas Pro for me also. This appears to have something to do with Windows. I think there is actually a thread about this here in this forum--- "

See this thread post #2 for "Explanation and Solution to problem".
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen, Eagle Six
22 Mar 2019 08:57 #4

Thank you, vkmast! I will check it out.
22 Mar 2019 10:02 #5

• Thank you received: 210

Replied by ericlnz on topic Problem with Vegas Pro 14 and 16

Reading through the thread that vk linked to I realised that it doesn't help that Magix have used the same icon for VMS14, 15 & now 16, and I believe it's the same problem with Vegas Pro! Derek, any chance you could have a word in their ear?

To avoid problems I find it easier to open VMS then select the project file I want to open. Slightly longer but it avoids the problem of the wrong version opening.
22 Mar 2019 10:27 #6

Thanks to everyone, my problem is resolved! I did a factory reset, which cleared up the Help menu problem. Then I changed the version I want to use to open Vegas with the .veg extension and it all works like it should now. All posts, new and previous, were helpful and I am glad to know I'm not the only one who has had this kind of issue. It assures me I didn't screw things up myself and I'm not as dumb as I might appear...
HUGE THANKS....saves a lot of stress and thrash...
The following user(s) said Thank You: vkmast
22 Mar 2019 10:44 #7

• Thank you received: 1306

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Problem with Vegas Pro 14 and 16

ericlnz wrote: Reading through the thread that vk linked to I realised that it doesn't help that Magix have used the same icon for VMS14, 15 & now 16, and I believe it's the same problem with Vegas Pro! Derek, any chance you could have a word in their ear?

To avoid problems I find it easier to open VMS then select the project file I want to open. Slightly longer but it avoids the problem of the wrong version opening.

I agreed that using the same icon for different versions of Vegas is confusing.
Unfortunately this seems to be something the entire software industry is doing more and more.
Maybe you need to start a petition on the official Vegas Forums and get support from everyone.
If it was up to me, I would add the version number to bottom right corner of Program Icon, then the icon could remain the same, except for version number.

I have a ridiculous amount of different versions of Vegas installed on the same computer.
I always open the version of Vegas I want to use first, then open my project files.
Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems.
Peace :)
22 Mar 2019 16:02 #8

• Thank you received: 210

Replied by ericlnz on topic Problem with Vegas Pro 14 and 16

The use of the same icons was raised a while back on the Magix Vegas Pro forum. One forum member designed and provided an alternative. The thread is here .
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen
22 Mar 2019 19:04 #9

• Thank you received: 48

Replied by Robbie on topic Problem with Vegas Pro 14 and 16

Have to agree that indistinguishable Icons where different versions can co-exist is not helpful and potentially confusing. The standard Magix shortcut Icons don't even offer any serious alternative icons through Right Click>Properties>Change Icon. I've been creating my own icons ( .ico files) using colour differentiation with a little program called Icofx Portable (v1.6) that I acquired as freeware a good few year ago.

Could also differentiate by including a version number as suggested by the Doc (or any other design change). Looking at the developer website though it seems Icofx is not freeware any more (US$29.99 for home use - which to me seems ridiculously high for a home use icon generator). I can easily make a few .ico files though if anyone is interested.
Cheers Robbie
22 Mar 2019 23:56 #10
Attachments:

Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds

Make a Donation

Movie Studio Zen is a fully independent site and all our content is free. You can help support this site by making a PayPal donation.

MSZ Social Media

youtube  facebook  twitter

MSZ Security

MovieStudioZen.com

Copyright © 2019 MovieStudioZen.com.
All rights reserved.