VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Vegas Pro 17 slow motion and new blue transitions

• ilyk49
  • ilyk49's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 3
  • Zen Level 3
  • Thank you received: 13

Vegas Pro 17 slow motion and new blue transitions was created by ilyk49

Posted 29 Aug 2019 14:03 #1
I just upgraded to VP17. So far so good. One of the new features in VP 17 is enhanced slow motion - but I have no idea how this works. It appears in the fx tab, but when you select the slow motion effect and apply it to a clip, nothing happens, Do you need some sort of separate slow motion plug in to make it work? If so, where is this to be found as I didn't receive any link or other information in the update.

Also, VP17 comes with New Blue 5 transitions. I got the link and installed it and then activated new blue transitions. But, when you go to the transitions tab for new blue transitions, all that appears is a default setting for each of the 10 transitions. There are no variations of the default as appear for Vegas transitions (and as appear for my new blue transitions in VP15). Is there something else that needs to be done when installing and activating the new blue transitions that come with VP17.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Last Edit:30 Aug 2019 23:01 by ilyk49

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Vegas Pro 17 slow motion and new blue transitions

Posted 30 Aug 2019 10:44 #2
Hi ilyk49

I have literally just learnt how to use the Vegas "Super" Slow Motion tool myself.

The first thing I noticed, is that it is a very CPU intensive plugin !
So if you are only using a low powered, low core count CPU, you may struggle to use it properly without it freezing/crashing Vegas.
It's meant to be GPU accelerated, but my new Nvidia RTX 2060 GPU barely moved above 2% usage.

Before attempting to use it, I recommend re-booting your computer and don't have any other programs running at the same time - you will need to be patient!

Step 1
Don't apply to long videos. Make sure to edit your video first into only the part you want to slow down.
I recommend doing a test on 1 minute of video only.
Drag Vegas Slow Motion onto your video.
Select Quality - Course is fast to process, Medium is medium to process and Fine takes a long time to process.
I used Medium on my first run.
Then press Analyze Motion.
Now you need to be patient and make a cup of tea. Don't press anything until its finished or you'll probably crash Vegas.

Step 2
After the processing on my computer, Vegas froze and I had to kill it using CTRL + ALT + DELETE.
On my second try after it finished processing, I waited a few extra seconds and then closed the Video Event FX window.
Then I pressed the fx button in top corner of video to re-open Slow Motion window.

There are 2x Methods - Morph and Optical Flow.
Experiment with both to see which one you like best.

Now set the Playback Rate - try something like 0.50 or 0.20
Now play back video and view results.

New Blue FX
What you are seeing in the Vegas Transitions window for New Blue FX Transitions, is normal behaviour now.
This is controlled by NBFX and not Magix/Vegas.

There is a solution if you would like to see previews of all the different Presets for each different NBFX Transition.

1. Select one preset at a time.
2. Type name of preset in field above
3. Press Save button
4. New Preset thumbnail will not appear until you move away from this transition and then come back.

Regards
Derek
ℹī¸ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

• ilyk49
  • Zen Level 3
  • Zen Level 3

Replied by ilyk49 on topic Vegas Pro 17 slow motion and new blue transitions

Posted 30 Aug 2019 13:09 #3
Thanks so much for this help. I will try this when I get home from work tonight and let you know how I go.

In relation to the NB transitions, as I recall I was unable to select any presets in the drop down menu - all that was available when I selected a transition was a "default" preset - no other presets were showing up. But I will test again tonight.
by ilyk49

Replied by vkmast on topic Vegas Pro 17 slow motion and new blue transitions

Posted 30 Aug 2019 18:36 #4
@ilyk49
Did you try to find them (only) here now?:
by vkmast

• ilyk49
  • Zen Level 3
  • Zen Level 3

Replied by ilyk49 on topic Vegas Pro 17 slow motion and new blue transitions

Posted 30 Aug 2019 21:53 #5
Hi Derek

Tried the slow motion - and it works well. So long as the clips aren't too long then it doesn't take too long to render the slow motion.

As for the NB transitions, following your advice I now have the pre set thumbnails. But it sure is inconvenient to have to go through this process to get all the thumbnails - not sure why NB would do this.

But thanks so much for your help. It now all works.

Cheers

Peter
by ilyk49
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen, vkmast

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.971 seconds