VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Vegas Pro 17 crashes on startup

• Bolla
  • Bolla's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie
  • Thank you received: 1

Vegas Pro 17 crashes on startup was created by Bolla

Posted 07 Sep 2019 19:02 #1
Hi!
I've had a problem that occurred recently, where Vegas Pro crashes whenever I open a .veg file. I had this problem on Vegas Pro 16 and I tried to upgrade to Vegas Pro 17 and see if that worked, but I didnt work. I'm still a bit new to Vegas Pro and I've only used it for a few months now. I've tried searching it up but I didnt understand anything. Does anyone know any solutions?

thanks in advance
Last Edit:08 Sep 2019 01:19 by Bolla

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Vegas Pro 17 crashes on startup

Posted 07 Sep 2019 20:00 #2
Hi Bolla

1. If you originally created a project with an older version of Vegas Pro, then finish that project with the same version of Vegas.
Each version of Vegas may differ slightly and only support certain plugins with that version.
If you then try and open an old project with a newer version of Vegas, Vegas Pro 17 may not be able to support the Video FX plugins that worked OK in the older versions of Vegas.

2. There was a big change made to Vegas Pro 17 in regards to Video FX plugins, which means many older Video FX will not appear or work in VP17.
All the major 3rd party Video FX makers were made aware of the changes well in advance and most of them released new versions of their Video FX, so they would work in VP17.

Examples of what I am talking about are: Boris FX and New Blue FX.

3. It is best to only create projects from scratch in Vegas Pro 17, to reduce possible errors.

4. Sometimes on rare occasions, a .veg project file may become corrupted - if that happens there is nothing you can do to fix that.

5. Also remember to use the function File/Open to open a .veg project file.
If you try to Import an old .veg project file by using the function File/Import, that could cause some extra problems, even though you are allowed to do that.
Just start completely fresh.

6. Graphics Card support.
There are so many different Graphics Cards and different Drivers now, it is becoming very complicated.
Some combinations of Nvidia GPUs and Drivers can cause problems in Vegas.
If you are using a modern Nvidia RTX GPU, it is better to install one of the Studio Drivers.

7. Try resetting Vegas using these instructions:
www.moviestudiozen.com/doctor-zen-faq/573-how-to-reset-sony-software-to-default-settings#a1

After a reset, before you try and open a project, make sure to go to:
Options/Preferences/General and turn OFF "automatically open last project"
Then go to Options/Preferences/Video - GPU acceleration and turn your graphics card on, then re-boot Vegas.
Now try and open your .veg file.

8. If you get an error report, make sure to copy and paste report into the forum, because it will tell us where the problem is coming from.

9. There are other things that can also cause problems.
Read my replies in this thread:
www.moviestudiozen.com/forum/movie-studio-platinum/2404-movie-studio-platinum-16-is-crashing-after-update

10. Read forum posts on the official Vegas Pro forum here:
www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/vegas-pro-forum/

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:08 Sep 2019 10:15 by DoctorZen
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bolla

• Bolla
  • Bolla's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie
  • Thank you received: 1

Replied by Bolla on topic Vegas Pro 17 crashes on startup

Posted 08 Sep 2019 01:18 #3
I found out the solution, I needed to download Quicktime player.
Since, whenever I made a new project in Vegas Pro 17, it would still not open. but I saw a message this time saying i needed Quicktime Player to load in some files, and now it works!
by Bolla
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Vegas Pro 17 crashes on startup

Posted 08 Sep 2019 10:16 #4
Thanks for reporting back with the solution that worked for you.
I will remember this for the future.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.919 seconds