Solved Problem with fading several tracks. Help really appreciated

• Thank you received: 0

Problem with fading several tracks. Help really appreciated was created by Fairlife

Hi Doctor Zen,

Thanks very much for your invitation to ask for help on your forum, it's Dave Thompson and I posted on one of your videos yesterday. One thing I forgot to mention is that I realise rendering "something" to new track might avoid the awkward fading, but I try to avoid double-rendering anything, and feel there must be a way around it. Usually solve my own tech problems, but I've spent too many hours on this mind-boggling issue.

Mucho Gracias

P.S. Sorry the video was a bit dark, and I've also just realised my camera was set to SP, and not FH! I did wonder why it wasn't as clear as usual, and it's because it was a low bitrate (4mbps). Sorry about that. Happy to do it again if you wish!

Dave
02 Dec 2019 20:32 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1329

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Problem with fading several tracks. Help really appreciated

Hi Dave

*Moderator Edit: I returned all your text to normal text, so that I can read it more easily.

Because you haven't done a proper video screen capture, I can't see the fine detail of your actual settings in the Track Control Boxes (their too blurry), so I have taken a guess.

All your problems are being caused by the way you have set up the individual Video Tracks and the Composting Modes you have turned ON.

What I can see is that you have many Composting Parent/Child relationships - it's OK to do this, but you must remember that when you create Composting Child Tracks, anything you do to the Parent Track above is going to also affect the Child Tracks. It looks like you have also changed some of the Compositing Modes - depending on which modes you have changed, will have a big impact on Child Tracks.

If you return ALL the Composting Modes back to the default Source Alpha mode, your Fade will work the way you want it to.
However, if you change the Composting Modes for only the Child Tracks, that is what is probably causing your problem/s.

If you can't work it out with these hints, I will have to get a copy of your .veg project file, so that I can inspect your actual settings to see what you have done.
Parent/Child Composting work can become very complicated when you start mucking around with the settings.
If you can't work out how to fix it, I would recommend you temporarily MUTE all your Tracks except for just 3 at a time - 1x Parent and 2x Children - then change compositing modes just for them.

Regards
Derek
Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems.
Peace :)
02 Dec 2019 21:41 #2
Attachments:

Replied by Fairlife on topic Problem with fading several tracks. Help really appreciated

Hi and thanks alot for your reply. Perhaps had my camera been on full quality, you might've seen better. I checked all the composite modes, and they were all on source alpha. The parent/child tracks were needed so I could use parent transform. I switched them off to see if would make any difference to the masks showing through, but no luck. I have included a screen shot and my veg file. When you say "my fades should work fine", are you talking the handles on the events like I demonstrated? Isn't that suppose to be like that, as they don't fade to black? Thanks very much.

Edit: Please ignore Track 4. It was a file I had imported and I hadn't removed the audio track
02 Dec 2019 23:09 #3
Attachments:

Replied by Fairlife on topic Problem with fading several tracks. Help really appreciated

Hi again,

I have concluded I can get around this by modifying the masks. I would like to have avoided that, but if I want to fade out those tracks only, I will have to complete the time-consuming fiddly masks. I assumed that because they were behind other tracks, then it would not matter. Just surprised I wasn't able to fade them out in the way I wanted. That's what I am going to be doing now, so I guess the matter is solved now. Thanks
03 Dec 2019 11:16 #4

Final post.

If anyone finds themselves in this situation, don't mess around with the masks, but put the other tracks into a new project and import it as a nested veg file. That way, I was able to fade it in on top of the tracks in the original project.

I would thank you for your "help" Derek, but having made the effort to record, render, upload a video and sign up to your forum, it turned out to be a complete waste of time. Two parent tracks is not "many", and even from the snapshot you took, one can see (if they have their glasses on) that all compositing switches were on default source alpha. I didn't "muck around" with settings, but I felt mucked around being invited here.

G'day.
04 Dec 2019 07:07 #5

• Thank you received: 1329

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Problem with fading several tracks. Help really appreciated

Yesterday I had a family emergency, so I have not been online for over 36 hours.
I am just reading your replies today.

I have no idea why you are suddenly pissed off with me for trying to help ?

Solving problems doesn't happen in one step.
I sent you my first reply as a starting point only.
It was impossible to see which compositing modes you where using in your video, so I made a guess, but was waiting to get a reply to clarify things before proceeding any further.

All the best.
Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems.
Peace :)
04 Dec 2019 12:01 #6

Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds

Make a Donation

Movie Studio Zen is a fully independent site and all our content is free. You can help support this site by making a PayPal donation.

MSZ Social Media

youtube  facebook  twitter

MSZ Security

MovieStudioZen.com

Copyright © 2019 MovieStudioZen.com.
All rights reserved.