VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Thumb nails on the timeline

Thumb nails on the timeline was created by kiwihans

Posted 25 Feb 2020 14:35 #1
I know it is possible to have a choice on how many thumbnails you can have on the timeline eg: Head, Centre, tail (3 at any one time) or you can have all.
Are there any advantages on which to use or not? I was editing today working on a large project, going through the timeline and there was a problem. The display stopped quite often. I was using "all" maybe that was not a good idea?
Last Edit:26 Feb 2020 14:22 by kiwihans

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Thumb nails on the timeline

Posted 25 Feb 2020 16:07 #2
Hi Hans :)

There are some things that can sometimes cause problems with thumbnail production.
If your computer is struggling, set to Head, Centre, Tail only.

1. Sometimes the thumbnail cache can become corrupted, and thumbnails produced by an older project don't work correctly when used in a new project using the same source videos/images.

To fix this, you need to delete the thumbnail cache in the Vegas Temporary Files Cache.
To find where the cache is on your computer, open Vegas and go to Options/Preferences/General
Copy the Temporary Files Folder location at bottom of screen.

Now go to Documents on your computer.
Copy the folder address into address bar near top of screen
There are 3 folders for thumbnails - Device Explorer Thumbnails, File Explorer Thumbnails and Media Pool Thumbnails.
Open each folder and delete everything!
When you re-load your Vegas projects, the thumbnails will be regenerated.

2. If your computers Hard Drive is doing other functions at the same time Vegas is trying to create thumbnails, it can cause thumbnail production to be very slow.

3. If your Hard Drive is only spinning at 5400 rpm instead of the faster 7200 rpm, it can also cause slowness.

4. If your Hard Drive is dying slowly due to mechanical problems, very slow thumbnail production can be an indication that the drive is about to die.
This happened to myself 2 years ago.

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Replied by kiwihans on topic Thumb nails on the timeline

Posted 25 Feb 2020 17:47 #3
Hi again Dereck! You are amazing to always come back with reply inf0 so quickly. Many thanks already! Found my way and copied the Temporary Files Folder and found the 3 folders you mentioned. All folders except the Media one had Thumbnails in it. Deleted all these Thumbnails. As a precaution I set the thumbnails on the Timeline to Head , Centre, Tail only. and will see how that goes.
Could't work out where to find the info regarding Hard Drive Speeds - Sure hope my drives are not going to die soon!

I have bought a new capturing machine for regular & super 8mm movies. Its a Wolverine Movie Maker Pro - its slow but the quality is great - best I have seen in years.
The sunset skies have settled down here now, so I guess you are not getting so much smoke! Must have been difficult to breath in your part of the Tasman.
Hope you are well.

Posted 26 Feb 2020 14:51 #4
There is a free app you can download called CrystalDiskInfo, that will give you a full readout of all data for all your Hard Drives.
crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/
Download the Standard Edition.

If a Hard Drive is about to die, there are normally lots of different indicators.
Slow file load times is an obvious one.
If you start to hear loud clicks and the drive is continually seeking/searching, that is what normally happens soon before death.
An obvious one is to make sure you do regular backups, in case of drive failure.

Use arrows at top to navigate from one drive to the next.

The Wolverine Movie Maker Pro looks like a very interesting machine :cheer:

All the fires were extinguished 2 weeks ago when a lot of rain fell.
I have been using this Australian government website to monitor the smoke pollution.
satview.bom.gov.au/

I remember watching a BBC documentary many years ago, about the 1883 eruption of Krakatoa in Indonesia.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1883_eruption_of_Krakatoa
The huge amount of particles that shot into the atmosphere, changed the worlds climate and produced incredible sunsets for a few years after the eruption.
British artist William Ashcroft made thousands of colour sketches of the red sunsets halfway around the world from Krakatoa in the years after the eruption.

Some of the sunsets and sunrises during the Australian bush fires, looked like something out of a Science Fiction movie from another world!
I'm sure you also witnessed the same type of sunsets in New Zealand.

ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:26 Feb 2020 14:55 by DoctorZen

Replied by kiwihans on topic Thumb nails on the timeline

Posted 26 Feb 2020 15:45 #5
Well once again you have come to the party with this software. It tells me that D drive is running at 7200 RPM , E drive is also running at 7200. But does not report
RPM on C: drive. It does report that all three drives are healthy. As far as I can tell C: drive is different because it's a solid state drive maybe the software can't measure the RPM on these.....

Posted 26 Feb 2020 16:01 #6
No RPM for SSDs :!: :ohmy: :silly: :laugh:
Solid State Drives have reached total enlightenment and don't need to move to experience the universe inside for computer.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 1.097 seconds