VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Markers not saving in Vegas 13.0

Markers not saving in Vegas 13.0 was created by kiwihans

Posted 25 Sep 2014 13:03 #1
I have used the markers in Vegas for a number of years now. This was using Vegas 8.0 (never had this problem with this). Now I am trying to work with Vegas 13.0 - I have a project of just 2 clips. I placed a marker at the start of each clip. I then rendered as MPG2 - dvd architect pal. The resulting file does not show the markers at all.
Needles to say importing the file into DVD architect there are still no markers.
What's going on here? Is Vegas 13.0 full of bugs? Yes, I did go to custom - video tab - and made sure that Render I-frames at markers box is ticked.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Markers not saving in Vegas 13.0

Posted 25 Sep 2014 14:19 #2
Vegas Pro 13 is not full of bugs.
The Render As window has changed significantly since version 8.0
You need to extend the Render As window down as far as you can go and/or also use the side slider to reveal all the controls.
There is an important setting to turn ON at the very bottom - View All Options.
Then check Save all Markers.
Now re-render and all will be OK.

Regards
Derek.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:25 Sep 2014 14:19 by DoctorZen
Attachments:

Replied by kiwihans on topic Markers not saving in Vegas 13.0

Posted 25 Sep 2014 15:02 #3
Great! You really know what you are doing. You are absolutely correct in saying that the Render window has changed. Bit of a surprise for me I admit. Carried out your suggestions - funny, I was all the time looking for the "Save all Markers" box, but could not find it.....
Anyhow tested it all out and it all works. Whilst rendering I noticed a message coming up: "Reading closed captioning" - is this important to run? Or is it like in Vegas 8.0 "Building peaks" ?

BTW I contacted Sony Support 5 days ago about the strange artifacts. I even sent them a short file to demonstrate this. I received an automatic acknowledgment from them but nothing since. From experimentation, the artifacts come into the picture when applying colour corrections.....what do I mean by this? They don't appear to happen in sections that have no colour corrections......

My grateful thanks,
Hans Gelton.

Posted 25 Sep 2014 15:17 #4
When I am working with certain types of files, I get the same message when I import video into the timeline "Reading closed captioning".
The only time this happens is when I have used video files that I downloaded from www.ustream.tv

If the message "Reading closed captioning" is appearing during an actual video render, you must have Closed Captioning embedded in your videos.
Personally I have never seen that pop up during a render.

Your problem with artifacts during Colour Correction must be related to the video file type/codec you are using.
If your source video has already been re-rendered many times, it is probably breaking up.
I have heard many professional video editors talk about how AVCHD Video can easily break up (create artifacts) during heavy colour correction.
Most of the video I work with is AVCHD video and I have never experienced this problem. I am always working with the original source file direct from the camera.
If however the AVCHD video has been re-rendered before it gets into Vegas, then that may cause problems.

Can you share your exact workflow ?
What is the complete journey your video files travel before you start adding Colour Correction ?
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Posted 25 Sep 2014 17:06 #5
My workflow: The movies I work with come straight out of the Telecine machine and are captured in Windows AVI format. Each movie has a manual white balance done in the camera - if not, colour correction becomes a real nightmare and becomes extreme. I open these captured AVI files on the timeline and proceed to colour correct these as needed. Being old time movies (8mm film) they need a lot of correction. Age of the movies, whether they are taken on a sunny day, overcast day or exposed under artificial light. See, the old movie cameras did not have auto exposure or automatic white balance. Sometimes, not often I get movie film that has been taken by a person that knew (in those days) how to make good movies. They are great to work with but that does not happen often. You may be correct about heavy correction causing artifacts - but why is it starting to happen now I wonder? BTW, I only do colour correction once - I don't go over them a second time.

Posted 25 Sep 2014 18:16 #6
The only other place I know where you can ask your question, is on the Creative Cow Sony Vegas Forum.
This forum is run by real Professional Video Editors who use Vegas Pro as their main editor.
They are very knowledgeable on this forum.
Explain your problem to them and make sure to show your workflow.
Creative Cow Vegas Pro Forum
Last Edit:25 Sep 2014 18:16 by DoctorZen

Posted 26 Sep 2014 11:53 #7
Hi Derek: I was about to compose and send a message to Creative Cow, dealing with the Artifacts problem. In the meantime, a message came in from Sony Vegas Support. This is what they had to say:

On the event, right click and choose switches > reduce interlace flicker. Also, try setting the smart resample to no resample, and then set it to force resample, to see which combination works best for your footage.

OK, any of the resample options did nothing. However, clicking on "reduce interlace flicker" certainly made the artifacts go away. There is a slight trade-off here - the images are a bit softer. I suppose I can live with this.....
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Posted 26 Sep 2014 17:51 #8
Thanks for the report back.
This is good information to know for next time someone has this problem.
:)

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.873 seconds