VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved VEGAS PRO 16 saving files in ver 14 format"

VEGAS PRO 16 saving files in ver 14 format" was created by MrGrunthunter

Posted 29 May 2020 00:57 #1
Recently , that's when I really noticed it anyway, my version 16 appears to be saving my projects at a Vegas 14 file. When I open up VP 16 the files show up as VP 14 and I get an error message trying to drag them into my working window. If instead I use my MS File Explorer to locate the file and use OPEN WITH VP 16 it loads OK. Anybody ever experience this? If I try and use my VP 14 to open the file it says it was created in a later version and won't open either, which I would have expected.

DESKTOP: Dell PC WINDOWS 10 PRO, 64-bit, Ver:1607, OS BLD: 14393.1066
INTEL Core: i7-4790, CPU @3.60 GHz, Inst RAM:16.0 GB
GeForce GTX 745, Driver ver: 376.53, Tot avail grap: 12225 MB, Ded vid mem: 4096 MB DDR3
Shared Sys Mem: 8159 MB, DirectX Runtime Ver:12.0

LAPTOP: MSI GE72MVR 7RG
GTX-1070
Last Edit:29 May 2020 16:51 by MrGrunthunter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic VEGAS PRO 16 saving files in ver 14 format"

Posted 29 May 2020 10:26 #2
You need to change the File Type Association in your Windows 10 settings.
The .veg project file extension (or any extension for any program) can only be associated with one version of a program, at a time.
That means when you double-click a project file, Windows will know which version of Vegas you want to use.

Read this solution for how to fix:
www.moviestudiozen.com/forum/movie-studio-platinum/1852-created-project-using-ms15-suite-but-it-is-saved-as-ms12#9442

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrGrunthunter

Replied by MrGrunthunter on topic VEGAS PRO 16 saving files in ver 14 format"

Posted 29 May 2020 10:45 #3
Are you saying that every version of VEGAS Pro uses a different file extension? I guess I never realized this then. I'll give that a try as soon as I determine what file extension ver 16 uses.
GeForce GTX 745, Driver ver: 376.53, Tot avail grap: 12225 MB, Ded vid mem: 4096 MB DDR3

GTX-1070

Posted 29 May 2020 11:01 #4

Are you saying that every version of VEGAS Pro uses a different file extension?

No !

Every version of Vegas Pro uses the same file extension, which is .veg
Every version of Vegas Movie Studio uses the same file extension, which is .vf
However, Windows can only associate one version of a program with it's file extension at a time.
This ONLY relates to how a program automatically opens in Windows when you double-click a file!!!

Here is another simple example for you.
Forget about Vegas for one moment.
How many different programs on your computer can open .jpg image files ?
My guess is you have many different programs that can open this type of file.
When you double-click a photo to open it, it is going to open in the program YOU have associated with it, unless you manually select which program you want to use. The same is true for all versions of Vegas.

Remember that your computer can't read your mind - it needs to be told what you want it to do - that's why you need to associate file extensions with programs.

Easy solution to avoid confusion
Open the version of Vegas Pro you want to use first and open your project files from inside Vegas.
STOP double-clicking files and getting windows to open Vegas for you - then you want have this problem.
However, if you follow the instructions I linked for you, you can fix this.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:29 May 2020 11:05 by DoctorZen

Posted 29 May 2020 11:59 #5
Actually Derek, Trying to open the files from inside of Vegas 16 is where I am having the problem. If you look at my screen shot you will see I am in Vegas 16 but the file in the explorer window is show the files as Vegas 14 files and when I try and pull them in Vegas locks up and I get an error message.

The only way I'm able to open the file is by closing everything, use the Office Explorer, find the file, click on it, select OPEN and then select Vegas 16 and it loads it ok. I could make a screen recording if that would clear up my problem.
Mike

GTX-1070

Posted 29 May 2020 12:18 #6
If you are trying to open an older project in Vegas Pro 16 that was made with Vegas Pro 14, it may contain elements that only work in version 14.
Typically this type of error is caused by 3rd party plugins you may have used in the V14 project, that are not compatible with V16.

Most of the time, older Vegas projects will open in the latest version of Vegas Pro.
However, that does not always work out.
When this happens, you need to re-open the older project using version 14 first and inspect all the Video FX you added.
If you remove the offending Video effect and re-save the file, it may then open in v16.

Honestly though - I've been here before myself.
Sometimes it's best to only work on old projects using the same version that created it, otherwise you need to start with a clean slate in V16.

Posted 29 May 2020 12:24 #7
What's really crazy Derek is that I tried that but then I get an error message that the file was created in a later version and it won't open in 14 either. I'll just have to do the best I can and as soon as I can render it and upload the file to YouTube I'll delete everything. I have over 2,000 photos that I'm trying to create 5 slide show videos from a trip we made last fall.

GTX-1070

Replied by mmcswnavy24 on topic VEGAS PRO 16 saving files in ver 14 format"

Posted 29 May 2020 14:30 #8
Hi Mike (from another Mike),

Based on your "Error" screenshot, it looks like the possible candidate of problem is the NewBlue TitlerEX, that was probably part of the Version 14 bundle. And from your follow-on replies to Doctor Zen, you tried to open in Version 16, got the crash, now they won't open in Version 14 either, correct? Not sure how to fix that, though Derek may. It is just something these "Old Eyes" saw in your screenshot, that may help to narrow down the issue. Possibly do that "rename" folder that seems to work a lot in both Vegas Pro and Movie Studio, especially with the NewBlue and Boris "plug-ins", that seem to be a constant issue in different versions. Though, Derek will have a better response, or possibly one of the other regular contributors on the forum. You could also do the quick search on the VegasCreativeSoftware Forum as well for this "plug-in and/or folder" renaming.

Happy Editing!

Mike "The Chief" O'Sullivan
MSI TRX40 Pro Wifi /3960X/128 GB TeamGroup/PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT/Win 10 Pro 64-Bit. VEGAS Pro 18&19 Edit/SoundForge Studio 15/Magix Xara Photo & Graphics Design/(2) Inland 2TB PCIe with OS & Apps, #2 Documents/Music/etc., (2) PNY 4TB EVO PCIe for source footage, Sabrent 2TB PCI-e Scratch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Posted 29 May 2020 17:21 #9
I am approaching this problem by starting with the basics first.

When I open up VP 16 the files show up as VP 14 and I get an error message trying to drag them into my working window.

What your 2nd screen shot is showing, is that Windows thinks all Vegas Pro projects should only be opened in Vegas Pro 14.
Just because it says Type = Vegas Pro 14, does not mean each file was created with Vegas Pro 14 - they may have been created with v14, but not necessarily.

This is why when you have multiple versions of the same program installed on the same computer, you need to be very careful each time you open Vegas Pro and open a saved Project.

What can specifically cause confusion, is the pop-up window that appears when you boot up Vegas Pro.
This window asks "Do you want to associate the following File Types with Vegas Pro ** software".

I'm using Vegas Pro 17 for my example, but you can just imagine it's VP 16.
If you open Vegas Pro 17 and say yes to this pop-up box, it should technically change the Windows File Type Association for Vegas Pro.
If you open a folder that contains some really old Vegas Pro .veg project files, the icon and file type should show the Vegas Pro 16 icon now.

However, sometimes when you say yes to the pop-up box, Windows doesn't change the file type association.
If that happens, you need to follow the instructions I already provided for you here:
www.moviestudiozen.com/forum/movie-studio-platinum/1852-created-project-using-ms15-suite-but-it-is-saved-as-ms12#9442

If you then closed Vegas Pro 17 and opened Vegas Pro 14, that pop-up window is going to appear again (it should, but doesn't always happen).
A lot of people never read the question and just say yes without thinking about it - I've done this myself plenty of times.
However, if you say YES to changing the Windows File Type Association for .veg files, it's going to revert back to Vegas Pro 14.
Open a folder that contains lots of Vegas Pro .veg projects, and you will see the icon and file type has changed back.

I think Mike is onto something with his suggestion and this links up with my own suspicions.
NewBlue Titler EX is a MASSIVE pain in the butt !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's why I completely uninstalled it years ago.

Open your old Vegas Pro 14 project with Vegas Pro 14.
Now delete any Text Events that were made with NewBlue Titler EX.
Use Save As and create a new project file.
Close Vegas Pro 14.
Now open Vegas Pro 16 and see if it will open now without crashing.
Last Edit:29 May 2020 17:24 by DoctorZen

Posted 01 Jun 2020 22:57 #10
Well, it appears I may have found the culprit causing my problems. While playing through the video I noticed this one photo that looks like it somehow has gotten loaded into an aftermarket FX add-on and is now corrupted. However when I look at the original photo in my file folder it appears clean and OK. My problem now is that I can't delete it out of VEGAS Pro. Every time I try and delete it the program crashes. I'm still scratching my head on this one.

I've tried dragging the photo past the end of the video track to delete it and I've created a new video track and dragged it there and tried deleting that track but everytime I select delete the program crashes. Anybody know of a way to get rid of this?

GTX-1070
Last Edit:01 Jun 2020 23:26 by MrGrunthunter
Attachments:

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.841 seconds