VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Rendering not working anymore in Vegas Pro 15

Rendering not working anymore in Vegas Pro 15 was created by manfred

Posted 29 May 2020 23:13 #1
Hello!

A friend of mine suggested to buy Sony Vegas Pro, since I record in 2560x1080. My first videos were uploaded on youtube unedited and only supposed for my friends and me for nostalgic matters. But one day i felt the need to create something to be proud of. Something that others actually can use. So i made a very detailed guide for Overwatch PVE mode. And after several new starts, and weeks of invested time I finally structured it in a way I felt satisfied with. When my friends saww it, they mentioned I misspelled the name of the character... well... damn... once more.

I renamed all the files that included that mistake, even the directory the project was in.
When I restarted Vegas Pro, it said it couldn't find some files, I took the 2nd option, in German it's called "Neue Position oder Ersatdatei festlegen", which means "set new position or replacement".
So there were no offline media files and I thought, after rewriting the intro, everything would be fine.

But I was wrong. In the attachments there are screenshots of the error message that pops up as soon as i clicked "render as". There are no more error codes or any other hints what's missing.
In English it should be "While creating the media file an error occured. An invalid argument has been specified."

I was shocked. Then I found a video on youtube on how to fix it with several approaches. One of them was to clear the cache, which I did, but it didn't help. Later in the video there wasa this workaround with the batch rendering, which actually works, but on the one hand that is no fix, and on the other hand, the quality of the rendered video is worse.

Then I uninstalled Vegas Pro and reinstalled it. I even recreated the folder with the favourits.settings manually, but it stiill doesn't work.
I only see the following options:
1: Uninstall Vegas Pro again, searching the registry and deleting every remaining entry that has something to do with Vegas pro, then reinstall it.
2: Starting over with a clean Windows setup
3: Upgrade to a newer version of Vegas Pro

The strange thing is, that it worked perfectly. So whyever it doesn't now is an enigma to me. I had it installed on C:\, now on another drive where my programs are.
I use Vegas Pro 15, build 177. My main monitor has a resolution of 2560x1080. The PC has 32 GB RAM, a Ryzen 3600 and a GeForce 1080 and runs on Windows 10 pro 64 Bit.

I do not know what else on information to provide, and I don't want to share some screenshots since they include crritical personal data, but in case a TeamViewer session is needed, so be it.

Thank you already in advance,
sincerely manfred
Last Edit:04 Jun 2020 00:34 by manfred
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Rendering not working anymore in Vegas Pro 15

Posted 30 May 2020 13:59 #2
Hello manfred - Welcome to the MSZ Forum :)

Hopefully you have learnt your lesson and will never rename files and folders while in the middle of working on a project !!!
If there was a mistake in your project, all you had to do was open the Vegas Pro project file, edit the text and then do another render.
I don't understand why you would rename files and folders, because of a spelling mistake in the project ?

My guess as to what has happened...
Because you mucked around with the project, it sounds like the .veg project file may have become corrupted.

There is nothing wrong with Vegas Pro 15 - that is not the problem.
There is no point in re-installing Vegas Pro over and over again - that never fixes anything.
Resetting Vegas Pro is always the best option, if weird stuff suddenly starts happening out of the blue.

I would recommend you reset Vegas again, but this time forget about trying to backup any settings and restoring them.
I have a gut feeling that this may be part of the problem, because of the way you did a previous reset.
Just reset the whole program and then manually reconfigure any settings that are important for you.
Reset instructions here:
www.moviestudiozen.com/doctor-zen-faq/573-how-to-reset-sony-software-to-default-settings#a1

Installing Vegas on the C-Drive

You said: I had it installed on C:\, now on another drive where my programs are.

This statement concerns me and I'm glad you told me!
In my experience working with Vegas, you must install Vegas Pro on the C-drive and not somewhere else !
Vegas Pro is a very complicated program that interacts with many other 3rd party programs. If you don't install on the C-drive, it can cause errors sometimes.
Please reinstall on your C-drive, if it is not there already.

Cleaning Project Media
After you have re-linked media files in a project, it is a good idea to clean the project media.
What this does, is remove anything from the Project Media window that is not being used on the Timeline.
Go to Tools/Clean Project Media

My recommendations on how to fix your project
I have been in the same situation as yourself, many years ago, so I know the pain of having renamed files and folders, and screwing everything up.

I'm going to assume that you have successfully re-linked all of your Media files.

What I am about to tell you, I have done myself many times.
The best way to fix a corrupted project, is to copy and paste everything from the broken project into a new project file.
Before you do this, make sure you have installed Vegas on the C-drive and performed a full program reset.

Please note: When you copy and paste from one project into another one, most of your settings and FX will be copied OK, but you may have a few settings that need to manually be re-done after everything has been copied into the new project file.

How to Copy and Paste
1. Open Vegas Pro and open your project.
2. Now go to your Windows Desktop and launch Vegas Pro a 2nd time - this will open a 2nd instance of Vegas Pro. You will now see 2x Vegas Pro tabs at the bottom of your Windows Taskbar.
3. Open the 2nd instance of Vegas Pro and set the Project Properties to match the original project.
4. Before you do anything else, go to File/Save As and make sure to save the New Project into a New Folder, and use a different file name so that you don't get the old and new projects mixed up.
5. Now you can begin to slowly copy & paste small sections of the Original Project into the New Project.
What I would normally do myself, is copy and paste 1x track of media at a time.
Go to Track #1 in the original project.
Hold the Shift key down and select first event, then select last event - everything on Track #1 should become highlighted with a yellow border.
Right-click and select Copy.
Now open the 2nd instance of Vegas (which is empty right now), right-click and select Paste.
I recommend you now go directly to File/Save As and do a save - do this each time you copy another track of data until everything has been copied.
Once everything is copied into the new project, you will need to check that all Video FX settings have been copied - anything that is missing will have to be re-done now.

Repeat the process for each Track, until everything has been copied.

Hopefully this process will work for you.

Regards
Derek
ℹī¸ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:30 May 2020 14:06 by DoctorZen
The following user(s) said Thank You: mmcswnavy24

Replied by manfred on topic Rendering not working anymore in Vegas Pro 15

Posted 31 May 2020 03:46 #3
Hello!
Well thanks for the answer, it is possible, but unlikely, that the project was open when I changed the folders name. I really hoped I could say that you were completely right and I am stupid for not checking the program was still running...
But I did it as you said and it did not work.
Installed on C. Ctrl+Shift -> deleted cache.
Since I can recreate the error reliably even in new projects, is it really this one project that is corrupted causing it?
Sincerely Manfred.
by manfred

Replied by ericlnz on topic Rendering not working anymore in Vegas Pro 15

Posted 31 May 2020 12:04 #4
There are a few threads on this on the Magix Vegas forum. It seems it was a network mapping problem and fixed in later builds. Your build 177 is an old build. Try updating to the last released build 416. www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/vegas-pro-15-update-8-build-416--113806/
by ericlnz
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen, manfred

Replied by manfred on topic Rendering not working anymore in Vegas Pro 15

Posted 03 Jun 2020 02:34 #5
ahhhhh! that did it. thank u veeeerrry much =)
by manfred
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.812 seconds