VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Importing Cineform files into Vegas Pro 17 edit

Importing Cineform files into Vegas Pro 17 edit was created by sstefany

Posted 16 Jul 2020 11:04 #1
I having not much success in trying to import GoPro Cineform files into my Sony Vegas Pro17 Edit version(build 452). I have tried numerous things. Installed Quicktime. Installed GoPro Studio, earlier edition that had the codec. REinstalled Vegas, etc. etc. I was requested to upload the folder where the codec should reside.....

Thanks
Last Edit:18 Jul 2020 00:46 by sstefany
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Importing Cineform files into Vegas Pro 17 edit

Posted 16 Jul 2020 12:36 #2
Hi sstefany - Welcome to the MSZ Forum :)

Thanks for posting on the forum.
Before I typed this new reply for you, I decided to uninstall GoPro Studio (Quik) completely and also removed the Cineform codecs from the Cineform/Tools folder.
I also re-downloaded my own download from that Google Drive link, then re-installed GoPro Studio, so that I was pretending to be a brand new person.
OMG!!! What a bloody can of worms it opened up. But I'm glad I did, because I discovered something I was not aware of.
As soon as I finish this reply, I'm going to update my original article about using Cineform in Vegas Pro .
[IMG

There's no easy way to explain, so just keep reading...
I have to make an apology to you and also thank you for alerting me to something I didn't realize until now.
Way back a long time ago, I had the original GoPro Studio installed and it always installed the Cineform codecs into the Cineform/Tools folder.
Then GoPro started to loose the plot and began dumbing down GoPro Studio.
I lost my original copy of the good version of GoPro Studio.
I accidentally installed the version I have linked on my website and just assumed that it was installing the GoPro Codecs into the Cineform/Tools folder.
I didn't realize that if you uninstall GoPro Studio, it DOES NOT always remove the codecs from C:\Program Files (x86)\CineForm\Tools
So anything from previous installs remains in this folder.

When I simulated being a new person and installed Quik-WinInstaller-2.2.0.4944.exe, I was shocked to see it didn't also install the Cineform Codecs into C:\Program Files (x86)\CineForm\Tools

The next thing I did was open Vegas Pro and imported a test Cineform.mov file.
Guess what? It did not work and only imported the Audio stream and no video stream.

I found an official download link for GoPro Quick v2.3.0.5383 on the GoPro forum.
software.gopro.com/PC/GoPro_Quik-WinInstaller-2.3.0.5383.exe
Updating to the newer version installed the Cineform Codecs into the CineForm/Tools folder correctly.
When I opened Vegas Pro and imported my Cineform.mov test file, it works OK.

Hopefully you are keeping up with my logic.
My experiment proves that Vegas Pro can open Cineform.mov video files.

How to fix your problem
Now that I see your Cineform Tools folder, I do not understand what is causing the problem, because you definitely have the Cineform codecs installed!
The first 4 entries are the Cineform files - this is exactly what I have on my own computer, however I don't have all that other stuff you have.
You mentioned Premiere Pro, which I don't have - so maybe that is where the other files are coming from ?

There are 2 possibilities that are responsible for your problem
There is something unique about the Cineform videos you are using, that is causing the problem,
OR
There is a problem/conflict with some of the files in your Cineform/Tools folder.
My guess is that all those other files in the Cineform/Tools folder (which I don't have) are causing a conflict for Vegas Pro.

Another Vegas Pro user on the official Vegas Pro Forums posted this last year:
www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/version-17-and-cineform--117795/
One of the replies mentioned the possibility of old/corrupt files in C:\Program Files (x86)\CineForm\Tools causing Cineform decode not to work.
When he refreshed the files, everything began working OK.

Experiment to Finally Fix your problem
Open this folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\CineForm\Tools
Create a new folder that says OLD CODECS
Move everything in the Tools folder into the OLD CODECS folder.
Then move this temporary folder into a completely different location on your computer - anywhere you like - just get it out of Tools.
The Tools folder will now be empty.

I know you must be sick of this, but this is what I did and it worked!
Uninstall GoPro Studio.
Re-install the newer version of GoPro Studio from this official link here.
(I found this official link on the GoPro Forum and have also update/simplified my Cineform tutorial)
software.gopro.com/PC/GoPro_Quik-WinInstaller-2.3.0.5383.exe

Make sure in Vegas Pro you have the Quicktime plugin enabled.
Go to Options/Preferences/Deprecated Features - select Enable the Quicktime plugin.
Re-boot to accept changes.
Now try and import your Cineform.mov video file.

I really hope this works, this time !
[IMG

If it doesn't, this has been an EPIC waste of time.

If it didn't work, I would also like to see a readout of your video files properties to see what specific codec version it is using.
You can use a free app called MediaInfo to do this and create a report you can upload to the forum.
Instructions here if needed:
www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tutorials/miscellaneous-help-tutorials/640-how-to-use-mediainfo-app

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:16 Jul 2020 13:35 by DoctorZen
Attachments:

Replied by sstefany on topic Importing Cineform files into Vegas Pro 17 edit

Posted 16 Jul 2020 13:05 #3
Bed Time ....but I tried it and it didn't work. I did all you said plus enable QT in Vegas under Deprecated Options. Here is the Media Info stats on the file that wont work...Thanks for your help...really.

File Attachment:

File Name: GoProCinef...tats.txt
File Size:3 KB
Attachments:

Posted 16 Jul 2020 13:21 #4
Cineform.mov video files import and play OK in Vegas Pro 17, on my computer.
So the problem has something to do with your computer, settings or the file itself.

Can you please send me a download link for the same .mov file that you have been experimenting with - I can then test it on my computer.
Upload to a file sharing site like Google Drive, create a shareable link and then post the link into the forum here.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Posted 16 Jul 2020 21:47 #5
www.dropbox.com/s/erqvnf9zyjs7600/TEST.mov?dl=0

..................Is the link to a GoPro Cineform file that is very short (for size) but cannot import into the Vegas timeline on my computer.

I'm hoping Dropbox still allows downloads with free accounts. I'm not sure now.....if not, here is the Goggle link
drive.google.com/file/d/1X3T8OwCtHYxxNAL_CmGzSuYQUT1XezpL/view?usp=sharing

Thanks.
Last Edit:16 Jul 2020 21:51 by sstefany
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Posted 16 Jul 2020 23:29 #6
If I could go back in time, I should have asked you for a sample copy first.

I can confirm that your TEST.mov file will not open in Vegas Pro.
There is something about the file that Vegas Pro can't decode and I don't know what that is.

Where are these cineform.mov video files coming from?
Which program or device are you using to create them?

Here is a readout of the full metadata for your TEST.mov file.

File Attachment:

File Name: test-mov-f...ties.txt

p.s. Now it is my bed time, so I'm offline for 8 hours now.
Attachments:

Posted 17 Jul 2020 00:12 #7
Ah....thanks...I get some comfort (not a lot) that you cant't get Sony Vegas to play it too. :) As you probably know, the Cineform codec was bought by GoPro. I am using a GoPro product called the GoPro Player (beta Windows version). This program takes 360 files REFRAMED and churns them as either H.264 or H.265 or Cineform. I was hoping to edit the Cineform version in Vegas but I think I'll settle on H.264 for editing (I know, ugh) because I do not want to use another editor. I save the files as 4K, H.264, then edit in Vegas and I always output 1080p.

community.gopro.com/t5/en/GoPro-Player/ta-p/413305?ds_rl=1274407&ds_rl=1274407&gclid=Cj0KCQjw9b_4BRCMARIsADMUIyrEmwugZFejMwH_9Skz6GPhSofBNbxvzeR3GJhJ6rWpQAw1r1XmEqYaAsIQEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

These Cineform video files play fine in Premiere but I want to use Vegas. GoPro has to have some alliance with Adobe because they push using there products with Adobe Premiere. Nothing about Vegas. I think Vegas is so much quicker and easier than Premiere. I could re encode the Cineform files in Premiere as DNxHR. Vegas will import that but that is a pain in the butt because next month I plan to shoot a lot of video and that would take up too much time and space. I'm really tempted to just edit the H.264s. H.265 is too slow. I am in contact with one of the developers of the beta GoPro PLayer Program and he tells me in a future release that there will be bit rate choices for encoding H.264 and 5. I have done testing and I can't really see any meaningful degradation till about the 4th generation. This is at 400% zoom in and at the current fixed 70 mb/s encode rate.

That Cineform file you have will play in Media Player Classic and VLC also. It doesn't play in Microsoft's Media Player.

I don't know now if anything at all can be done now to get it to import into Vegas???? These video files are taken by the GoPro Max - 360 camera - and the re framed video is produced with the GoPro Player (really a simple editor).

Thanks again.
Steve
Last Edit:17 Jul 2020 04:51 by sstefany

Posted 17 Jul 2020 01:18 #8
I have another request.......does this file import into Sony Vegas?
drive.google.com/file/d/1jwHi0uiVE-UnsOxemzO-j-MIe3MKagWz/view?usp=sharing

It is an H.265 that I cannot import into Vegas nor Premiere but it will play ok on most players. This file was also produced by GoPro's Player.

Here is the Media Info on that one also......

File Attachment:

File Name: H265.txt

I even went into Vegas's Preferences/options tab (by holding down the SHIFT key) and enabled MainConcept legacy HEVC by setting the Value to "TRUE" ...still didn't work
Last Edit:17 Jul 2020 12:39 by sstefany
Attachments:

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Importing H.265 into Vegas Pro 17 edit

Posted 17 Jul 2020 12:37 #9
I'm at the end of the road now and can't help any further.
It sounds like GoPro has added some type of secret sauce that only works in Premiere Pro.

I can't download that Google Drive link, because it is not shareable and locked.
But I guarantee it won't work as well.

I recommend you post the specific problem on the official Vegas Pro forums.
Copy and paste everything you have just explained to me from your 2 new messages.
There maybe something that the Developers of Vegas can do to get this working, however normally they would never waste time of Beta products, until it was an official released product.
www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/

All the best Steve.

Replied by sstefany on topic Importing H.265 into Vegas Pro 17 edit

Posted 17 Jul 2020 20:31 #10
Got it. You've helped out a lot with good, quick, relevant tries. Thanks again. Just posted into the Vegas Forum. Hope I don't get the proverbial "Re install Windows 10."
Last Edit:17 Jul 2020 21:32 by sstefany

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.897 seconds