VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Vegas Pro Doesn't 'see' Sony PXW-X70 files

• CeeDee
  • CeeDee's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 3
  • Zen Level 3
  • Thank you received: 13

Vegas Pro Doesn't 'see' Sony PXW-X70 files was created by CeeDee

Posted 29 Sep 2014 05:12 #1
I have purchased a Sony PXW-X70 which as far as I can see performs very well indeed with the test footage I have shot. But how do you get the XAVC quality footage into Vegas Pro 12? (I am familiar with the concept of working with proxy files in the edit and expecting VP12 to render from the orgiginal footage. However, my PC 'sees' the PXW-X70 when it is plugged in, as a pair of Win 7 files: 'AVF-INF' and 'PRIVATE': when I open Device Explorer (as suggested by VP12 HELP) it cannot see any 'device'. Anyone any ideas on this one?
Sony Vegas Pro 15, DVD Architect 9, Acid Music Studio 9, Sound Forge Audio Studio 10, Photoshop Elements 9
PC: Intel six Core i7 Processor i7-5820K (3.3GHz) 15MB Cache
ASUS® X99-S: ATX, HSW-E CPU, USB 3.0, SATA 6 GB/s
32GB CRUCIAL DDR4 RAM
3GB AMD RADEON™ R9 280X
by CeeDee

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Vegas Pro Doesn't 'see' Sony PXW-X70 files

Posted 29 Sep 2014 08:51 #2
Hi Chris

I have no experience with this type of camera.
If you want a fast answer from someone who should know this, ask your question on the Creative Cow Vegas Pro Forum
or Sony Creative Software's Vegas Pro Forum .
The guys at Creative Cow should be able to help.

When you get an answer, it would be great if you could share the details back here.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

• CeeDee
  • Zen Level 3
  • Zen Level 3

Replied by CeeDee on topic Vegas Pro Doesn't 'see' Sony PXW-X70 files

Posted 07 Oct 2014 06:30 #3
Well this query has everyone stumped! Sony camcorder and Sony software SHOULD be compatible! From the advertising VP 13 is XAVC compatible.

Here's some of the responses I got from the SCS forum:

Did you plug in the camera before you booted Vegas?
It will not see it if you do that.

Otherwise, I don't know about that specific camera.

See my new post below. I worded this wrong, you should plug the camera in BEFORE you boot vegas.

Message last edited on 9/28/2014 5:08:08 PM, by DaveT2.

Reply by: CeeDee

Date: 9/28/2014 4:51:56 PM

I tried your suggestion Dave but VP12's Device Explorer reports 'no device connected'.

Reply by: DaveT2

Date: 9/28/2014 5:06:35 PM

Actually I worded it wrong. You should plug the camera in before you boot vegas. I guess you tried that as well. Sorry, I typed it too fast

Reply by: Lovelight

Date: 9/28/2014 5:19:44 PM

Install the software disc or directed dload for the cam and it should work.

Reply by: [r]Evolution

Date: 9/28/2014 6:35:36 PM

I've been researching this camera.

Possible to upload a (30 sec or so) raw clip from the PXW-X70 to dropbox or similar online repository?

Date: 9/28/2014 7:43:26 PM

Of which software disc do you refer? The only one that comes with the PXW-X70 is full of PDF copies of the manual. Cheers

Reply by: videoITguy

Date: 9/28/2014 7:56:24 PM

Uncertain what you are trying to do - see the camera? _ It should not! The memory card should be inserted in a reader in your PC - then you have software from Sony like Catalyst Prepare or other download that you use to organize and see the file structure - then export to your NLE.

Date: 9/28/2014 8:00:22 PM

No not see the camera videoITguy, but at least recognise the folder or files to be imported. I copied the file structures from the card onto the PC desktop to see if that would help matters. But VP12 Device Explorer doesn't see hardware or software! Where can 'Catalyst Prepare' be found?

Date: 9/28/2014 9:21:53 PM

You are to visit the Sony support website - not the store- and look for support items for your camera....

Catalyst Prepare is a product of SCS (a division of Sony) and can be found to on this website.

Reply by: OldSmoke

Date: 9/28/2014 9:53:45 PM

Have you tried Sony's XDCAm viewer? Sony Vegas Device Explorer doesn't even "see" my AX100.

Reply by: johnmeyer

Date: 9/28/2014 10:22:16 PM

Catalyst Prepare is a product of SCS (a division of Sony) and can be found to on this website.
That isn't quite correct. It will be available on this website, but not until sometime next month. There is currently no place you can go to download it.

Date: 9/29/2014 8:57:33 P

Just to add fuel to the fire; this is what I found on the UK SCS website:

"It's just as easy to work with XAVC and XAVCS footage in Vegas Pro 12 as it is to work with any other footage. First, you need to pull you video clips off of the camera and into your project. To do so, connect your camera or card reader to your computer via a USB connection and then choose 'View / Device Explorer'. Your camera or reader appears in the Device Explorer's device list. Click to select the device and the thumbnails of the clips on your card appear. "

Trouble is...it doesn't!

Date: 9/30/2014 2:17:16 AM

I think what you are quoting is marketing copy, CeeDee, never written by an actual tech of Sony, but rather a contractor hired for promo.
In my opinion this concept has never worked like that, and if it did , that would be a first.
Now disclaimer, I have used other camera tech, and not what you bought. I have given you the clues of how it is supposed to work.

Reply by: OldSmoke

Date: 9/30/2014 2:59:26 AM

Correction to my earlier post. If I record in AVCHD the Vegas Device Explorer does see the camera and the clips on the card. However, MP4 in either 4K or 1080 are a no go which I assume has to do with the file and folder structure. Now the AX100 is not an XDCAM but the PXW-X70 is considered a XDCAM and maybe Sony's own XDAM viewer can see it and help importing the footage?

Reply by: mountainman

Date: 9/30/2014 3:06:06 AM

Hope Sony gets this sorted out. Been looking at the x70. But not if I can't import the footage. j

Date: 9/30/2014 3:09:15 AM

Catalyst Prepare software in about 60 days scheduled. You are getting the camera prematurely before that period.

Reply by: Rob Franks

Date: 9/30/2014 4:03:43 AM

Your cam shows up as a removable drive in windows does it not? If that's the case then you shouldn't really need device explorer. You can either drag and drop to your HDD and the into vegas or direct drag from the windows explorer into vegas.

I have a little Sony PJ790 avchd cam and it doesn't show up in device explorer either. I just direct drag and drop from windows explorer.

Reply by: MarkHolmes

Date: 10/1/2014 1:36:08 AM

I just borrowed and used for a couple theatrical shows a Sony AX100, which shoots 4K XAVC-S. It didn't show up in Device Explorer, so I just opened up a Windows Explorer window and dragged and dropped the files in from the SD card.
Even at 4K, the XAVC-S files edited like 1080p.

Reply by: mountainman

Date: 10/1/2014 4:11:07 AM

If your using the x70 in the high bit rate mode it shoots in XAVC.- L. At the moment it appears that Vegas does not support this format. Really be nice if Sony dropped by to answer yes or no on whether Vegas will support. If not there is little reason for me to buy the x70.
Sony Vegas Pro 15, DVD Architect 9, Acid Music Studio 9, Sound Forge Audio Studio 10, Photoshop Elements 9
32GB CRUCIAL DDR4 RAM
3GB AMD RADEON™ R9 280X
by CeeDee

Posted 07 Oct 2014 12:20 #4
If you have not already done so, I suggest you contact the Sony Camera division and explain your problem as clearly and as simply as possible. Then also send the exact same message to Sony Creative Software.

It may be a problem with the Firmware for the camera.
The more expensive Professional cameras are always releasing firmware updates which fix things exactly like this !

So you need to speak directly to Sony through both divisions.
By contacting them at the same time, they will hopefully see the connection and look into it properly for you.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Replied by Gocycle on topic Vegas Pro Doesn't 'see' Sony PXW-X70 files

Posted 09 Oct 2014 07:20 #5
Here is your answer. I owned the camera (X-70 and X-100) actually before a general release. The .MXF file is a wrapper containing a codec that SONY VEGAS does not recognize. For now, there is a free download called CATALYST VIEWER and a PAID edition. Both will transpose the files to a compatible codec. However, it is a 'dog and pony show' as you have to import individual files and wait for the conversion. No doubt there will be an UPDATE so as to import the new XAVC files.

SONY XDCAM VIEWER will not play the files either. SONY CATALYST will act as the main player for this CODEC.

I see by the above postings that people are confusing the AX-100 with the PXW X70. All of the codecs work in VEGAS with the 100.

The X-70 has a specific codec within the .MXF file which is not available in the 100. The X-70 is a more pro camera. 4K firmware update next spring as well.

I also own a Macrosystem Standalone unit which imports these files w/o an issue with their
new operating system. Go figure.
Lou
Last Edit:09 Oct 2014 07:28 by Gocycle
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen, CeeDee

• CeeDee
  • Zen Level 3
  • Zen Level 3

Posted 09 Oct 2014 07:30 #6
Thanks Gocycle! At least I now know it's not me just being thick...!
Question then is it worth upgrading to VP 13 which, if you believe Sony's advertising, will import XAVC files natively?
32GB CRUCIAL DDR4 RAM
3GB AMD RADEON™ R9 280X
by CeeDee

Posted 09 Oct 2014 17:10 #7
Hi Gocycle

Thank you for your very knowledgeable answer :)

Regards
Derek.

Posted 09 Oct 2014 17:13 #8
Hi Chris

Download the free trial for Vegas Pro 13 and test it out.

• CeeDee
  • Zen Level 3
  • Zen Level 3

Posted 09 Oct 2014 21:53 #9
Cheers Derek! That is the logical thing to do...... Question is if I then uninstall it (as various forums suggest: VP13 also DOESN'T accept the XAVC
codec in the MXF wrapper from the X70!) then I want to be able to continue to use my VP12 without any issues.
32GB CRUCIAL DDR4 RAM
3GB AMD RADEON™ R9 280X
by CeeDee

Posted 09 Oct 2014 22:28 #10
You do not have to un-install Vegas Pro 12 !
You can have many different versions of Vegas Pro installed on the same computer and it will not cause any conflicts.
I have V11, 12 and 13 installed, as well as the last three versions of Movie Studio Platinum - all are working 100% OK.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.851 seconds