Solved VEGAS Pro 18, Sound Forge Pro 12 and Spectral Layers Pro 7

• Thank you received: 18

VEGAS Pro 18, Sound Forge Pro 12 and Spectral Layers Pro 7 was created by BobH

Hi there,
So I spent some money and upgraded to VEGAS Pro 18 as the offer included Spectral Layers Pro 7.

I can take the audio from a video and open in Sound Forge Pro 12. From there I can open a copy in Spectral Layers but it opens Spectral Layers Pro 5, my previous version. Can anyone let me know what I need to do so Sound Forge opens Spectral Layers Pro 7 instead.

Thanks in advance.

BobH
19 Sep 2020 20:15 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1413

Replied by DoctorZen on topic VEGAS Pro 18, Sound Forge Pro 12 and Spectral Layers Pro 7

I don't have Spectral Layers Pro installed, so I may not be able to help.

You probably need to tell Windows what is the new default app for opening Spectral Layers Pro projects.
When you have more than one version of the same program installed, Windows can only use one version as the default version, for opening files with that program.

To reset which program is the default, find a Spectral Layers Pro project file.
Right-click that file, choose Open With, then select Choose another app.
Select version you want to use as the new default.
Select Always use the app to open...

There may also be a setting inside of the Sound Forge Preferences, for setting with version of Spectral Layers Pro you want to use.
I don't have Sound Forge Pro 14 installed, so can't help anymore.

If you still can't work this out, post a message on the official Vegas Forums here:
www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/

Regards
Derek
:idea: Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Peace :)
21 Sep 2020 10:43 #2

Replied by BobH on topic VEGAS Pro 18, Sound Forge Pro 12 and Spectral Layers Pro 7

Hi Derek and thank you for your reply. I don't actually save spectralLayers project files, I use spectralLayers to sort out problems with audio on video clips.

I have a project in VEGAS Pro 17, now VEGAS Pro 18. If there is a problem with the audio on an event I can right click and then open it in Sound Forge Pro 12. Here I can do some restoration such as using de-clip or denoise. However, in the Tools menu I can open it in spectralLayers to do some more restoration. Sound Forge opens the audio in SpectralLayers Pro 5. When complete I can send it back to Sound Forge and from there I can send it back to VEGAS Pro as a separate take in the audio.

When upgrading to VEGAS Pro 18 spectralLayers Pro 7 was included and this has a number of new features. What I want to do is for Sound Forge to open the audio in SL Pro 7 and not SL Pro 5. I can't see how to do this at present.

Some extra information for you:

In C: Program Files > MAGIX there is a folder SpectralLayers Pro 5.0. Inside this folder is a folder Win64. Inside this is SpectralLayers.exe
In C: Program Files > Steinberg there is a folder Spectral Layers 7 and also a folder VstPlugins (I guess because SL 7 supports VST3 plugins). Inside the SL 7 folder is a folder Win64 and inside this is SpectralLayer.exe.

Clearly SL 5 is inside the MAGIX folder whereas SL 7 is inside the Steinberg folder. Might it work if I put the SL.exe file from the Steinberg folder in the MAGIX folder to replace the SL.exe file that is there. Am I near the mark here or am I way off?

I hope you might be able to help here.

Thanks again

BobH
22 Sep 2020 00:49 #3

Replied by DoctorZen on topic VEGAS Pro 18, Sound Forge Pro 12 and Spectral Layers Pro 7

I don't have this program installed, so I can't help you with this one.
I recommend you ask your question on the official Vegas Forums here:
www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/

p.s. I don't know everything.
:idea: Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
22 Sep 2020 07:30 #4

Replied by BobH on topic VEGAS Pro 18, Sound Forge Pro 12 and Spectral Layers Pro 7

OK Derek, thank you for your time.

From the VEGAS community it appears that I need Sound Forge Pro 14 to be able to access Spectral Layers Pro 7 from it and I only have Sound Forge Pro 12.
Do you have a link for and upgrade from SF 12 to SF 14. If not do not worry as I can access ASL 7 from within VP 18.

Thank you again.

BobH
23 Sep 2020 01:05 #5

I have upgrade links with all the best deals here Bob:
They are all my affiliate links and I make sure to keep them up to date with all the best deals.
www.moviestudiozen.com/deals

Here is my direct affiliate link for upgrading to Sound Forge Pro 14:
www.magix.com/us/music/sound-forge/sound-forge-pro/?_oB=sound-forge-pro&_oD=upgrade&AffiliateID=55&phash=FL4Wje1syXqv4BCf&utm_source=MAGIX-PAP&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=Affiliate_MAGIX-PAP&a_aid=574d0917c5e74&chan=code14
23 Sep 2020 14:20 #6

Hi Derek and thanks once again.

I will have to decide whether to upgrade or not. Someone on the VEGAS forum is looking into whether he can tweek the internal settings to see if there is a work around. I can set Spectral Layers 7 as the default audio editor in VEGAS Pro. SL Pro 7 has access to VST3 plugins so I can access De-noise, De-clip etc from there so I should have all I need to edit the event audio in VP 18 if necessary.

A great site and you and others are so helpful so thank you very much.

Regards and best wishes.

BobH
23 Sep 2020 22:02 #7

Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds

Make a Donation

Movie Studio Zen is a fully independent site and all our content is free. You can help support this site by making a PayPal donation.

MSZ Social Media

youtube  facebook  twitter

MSZ Security

MovieStudioZen.com

Copyright © 2020 MovieStudioZen.com.
All rights reserved.