Solved Editing Old VHS Transfers

• Thank you received: 23

Editing Old VHS Transfers was created by Michel

Hi,

Just received some really old VHS 25 year old family movies (1991 and more)that were digitally transferred. Not nice to look at. My brother in law who did the transfers wasn't to knowledgeable in that field and I found out that the hardware/software used wasn't of the best quality. Now this guy lives in Florida and I'm in Montreal, Canada, around 3,000km away. So he has no intention of buying better equipment to better the results and I'm stuck with pretty bad video.

So I bet you know exactly what I'm going to ask. Does my VP16 have the tools that I would need to edit those clips to improve the video quality. If you are familiar with the quality of an old VHS movie or clip you'll know what I'm talking about. Does anyone have suggestions of what would be the best effects I could use to reach my objective.

Thanks

Michel
05 Oct 2020 07:35 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1425

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Editing Old VHS Transfers

Hi Michel

There are other members of this forum, that professionally transfer/convert old film to video.
If they see your message, they may offer some suggestions.

Yes Vegas Pro 16 can help improve old VHS video!
I recommend you read/watch my tutorial on how to use the Colour Correction tools in Vegas Pro.
The core information in this article has not changed.
Go through the steps in this tutorial and that will make a big difference.
www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tutorials/sony-vegas-pro/526-colour-correction-tools-sony-vegas-pro

The first thing I would do with any old video, is the make sure the White Balance is set correctly.
Fixing the White Balance will remove any yellow or blue tones from the video.
Select from Video FX tab, then use the Eye Dropper to sample anything that should be white in the video.
You can use the slider to adjust the amount of change.
*Please note: The White Balance tool has been upgraded significantly since Vegas Pro 17 was released.

All the other Video FX you should look at are mentioned in my tutorial.

Brightness and Contrast
Levels
Colour Corrector
Secondary Colour Corrector
Colour Curves
Broadcast (Safe) Colours
:idea: Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Peace :)
06 Oct 2020 14:32 #2

Replied by Michel on topic Editing Old VHS Transfers

Thanks again for those good tips and tools. Big project for the fall.

Have a great one Derek

Michel
06 Oct 2020 22:23 #3

• Thank you received: 66

Replied by Robbie on topic Editing Old VHS Transfers

Hi Michel
Apologies for being late to the party but as a health service administrator personal time’s been a pretty scarce commodity lately.

I’m essentially a hobbyist and by no means one of the professionals that the Doc referred to but much of my video work has been be focussed on capturing, restoring and editing (ie the process of preserving) family heritage from old film stock and analogue tape.

The first most important point to understand is that (to paraphrase the restoration guru John Meyer) restoring is about "making it better" and not "making it perfect".
The second most important point is that capture is THE single most important part of process. Poor capture can lead to all sorts of often avoidable problems that can be difficult if not impossible to correct in post-production. For the best captures you need good equipment including players with for example ability to adjust tracking and time base correction capability, good conversion/digitisation tools and capturing to the least compressed formats you can manage (what format are your clips?).

As far as post production NLE’s are primarily designed for editing and few, if any, are well equipped for serious restoration work. For the absolute best outcomes for restoration of captured and converted video you need to look to dedicated restoration software such as Avisynth and VirtualDub - but be prepared for a steep learning curve – particularly if you aren’t used to scripting. If you plan to do a lot of restoration work I’d definitely recommend at least taking a look at learning these tools.

Given that you have received already captured and converted video, and may not have the option to recapture, you may have some issues that you simply can’t address in editing software and some that you can.

From a quick scan, and may not be the best guide available, but this article might give a sense of what issues your clips have that might and might not be fixable without recapturing. Note though that the article is targeted at a generalist reader and doesn’t always provide comprehensive or more technical options. For example the “pinking/greening” section implies that the only solution other than recapture is to crop the image. Given that many old video captures are relatively low resolution, cropping is not without cost. Using the images in the article it was not actually difficult to correct the pinking by duplicating the track, masking the “good” part of the image and then using the Vegas HSL filter to change the hue of the top section from pink to the required golden tones.
Areas where editing software can help is noise reduction and colour correction. Doc Zen has already given good advice on colour correction, and frankly I think NLE’s are actually much better tools for colour correction than Avisyth (although I’d probably be accused of blasphemy by some aficionados).

As for noise, few NLEs have good native noise reduction filters. Vegas Pro 18 has added a denoise filter but as I am still using VP15 and still favour Avisynth for noise I can’t comment on how effective it is. In the absence of anything else, older VP versions have the Vegas Median filter which although not strictly intended as a NR filter can provide some noise reduction if used sparingly. If you are willing to pay for a third party plug Neat Video is a good option. If noise is an issue in your media, you might want to research chroma noise vs luminance noise and on special vs temporal noise reduction. Focus on reducing chroma noise (the colour flecks) more than luma. Too much noise reduction on the Luminance channel will give the image a “plastic” look. With noise reduction always remember that the goal is reduction and not elimination and that the adage “less is more” very much applies here. Oh … and I would recommend that you always do your noise reduction before colour correction.

Hope that helps some aznd apologies it was a bit liopng winded.

Cheers, Robbie
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen
18 Oct 2020 01:01 #4

Replied by Michel on topic Editing Old VHS Transfers

Hi Robbie,

Just found the link to your response in my Outlook.com junk mail file. I'll try and correct that for the future. The project I'm imposing myself with these old files is tremendous. I'll have work for the winter. But it's going to b an experience with something new to work on. Thanks for your help and tips. Very much appreciate it.

Have a nice one

Michel
22 Oct 2020 08:13 #5

• Thank you received: 66

Replied by Robbie on topic Editing Old VHS Transfers

Enjoy! It will undoubtedly be one of the most frustrating but ultimately quite likely one of the most rewarding editing projects you'll do. Don't hesitate to ask when some of those frustrations seem insoluable :-) .
Cheers, Robbie
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michel
23 Oct 2020 00:03 #6

Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds

Make a Donation

Movie Studio Zen is a fully independent site and all our content is free. You can help support this site by making a PayPal donation.

MSZ Social Media

youtube  facebook  twitter

MSZ Security

MovieStudioZen.com

Copyright © 2020 MovieStudioZen.com.
All rights reserved.