VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved VEGAS Pro 18 Rendering Issue

• BobH
  • BobH's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 4
  • Zen Level 4
  • Thank you received: 23

VEGAS Pro 18 Rendering Issue was created by BobH

Posted 19 Oct 2020 02:33 #1
Hi there, hoping you can help.
For information I have a desktop PC with an AMD Ryzen 1700X processor, a NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060 6GB graphics card and 32 GB of memory. I have a project which is 80 minutes long. The video is from a 4K camcorder and is an mp4 file at 25 frames per minute. This is all on one video and one audio track. Some video clips have some colour grading and some have video stabilisation but that is it.

When complete I tried to render the project at high quality for archive purposes. I used the MAGIX AVC/AAC MP4 format and the Internet UHD 2160p 25 fps (NVENC) Template. The Template has the default settings UHD 2160 (3840 x 2160), 25.000 (PAL), VBR Maximum 48,000 and Average 24,000 (bps). Encode mode is the NV Encoder Video, Rendering Quality is set to best. I am rendering to a second D Drive with lots of space and not to the system drive.

The rendering starts and goes for some time but then it stops with an error message. 'An error occurred while creating the media file xxxxxx.mp4. The system is low on memory. You may be able to reduce memory usage by closing other applications'. The render failed at about 4% complete. If it had completed it suggested the render would take rather less than 2 hours, so not much more than real time.

I then, in Preferences , turned off the NVIDIA graphics card on the video tab. This time the render completed fine with the exact same settings. The issue is that the render then takes about 4 hours, so more than twice the time. I guess I can live with this although it is rather annoying.

Can anyone explain this please and perhaps suggest what I might do to resolve the issue. I have already tried resetting VEGAS Pro18 but with no joy.

Thanks.
BobH
Last Edit:19 Oct 2020 12:41 by BobH

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic VEGAS Pro 18 Rendering Issue

Posted 20 Oct 2020 11:31 #2
It's probably something to do with the Nvidia driver, that is causing the problem.

I've seen plenty of bugs with Nvidia drivers over the years.
Make sure you have the latest Nvidia drivers for your graphics card installed.
If you don't play games on your computer, I recommend you install the Studio versions of the Nvidia drivers, which are customized for content creation programs.

Download from here and when you install, make sure to do a Clean Install - there is an option to select this in one of the install windows.
In the download type box, select Studio Driver (SD)
www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx

Example:

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Attachments:

• BobH
  • Zen Level 4
  • Zen Level 4

Replied by BobH on topic VEGAS Pro 18 Rendering Issue

Posted 22 Oct 2020 04:53 #3
Hi Derek and thank you for your reply and suggestions. I followed your instructions and updated the driver for my NVIDIA card. Unfortunately I still have the same issue of stopping when I have the card selected in VP 18. It renders fine when the card is off. Not sure what to do now unless you or someone else has a suggestion.

Thanks again for your time and help.

BobH
by BobH

Replied by DoctorZen on topic VEGAS Pro 18 Rendering Issue

Posted 22 Oct 2020 07:44 #4
I should have been more clear with my first reply.

You have already discovered the solution - don't use Nvidia if it crashes - this is exactly what I would do in the same situation.
There must be something about your project (maybe a particular Video Effect) that is causing a problem with the Nvidia encoder/drivers.
I have been in the same situation myself (not recently).
If GPU rendering doesn't work for a specific project, default to CPU rendering only.
CPU rendering is always the failsafe method and often the superior method for maximum video quality.

Everyone has their own approach to video editing.
What I have learnt, is to not band my head against the desk and waste huge amounts of time when something doesn't work.
If there is an alternate method that solves a problem - use it.
Only if a problem is affecting 100% of all projects, would I continue investing time in troubleshooting.

On a side note, I use OBS as my main video screen capture program.
It has the option of using your CPU or Nvidia graphics card.
Recently I switched it to use my Nvidia GPU, but when I did, I started getting weird problems.
It was frustrating because no one could explain why it wasn't working as expected.
I then switched the program back to CPU rendering only and now it is working perfectly again.

Nvidia drivers support a MASSIVE amount of different programs and versions of programs.
The complexity of this means that some problems just slip through the cracks.

If you want to pursue this further, try posting on the official Vegas Pro Forums here:
www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:23 Oct 2020 14:05 by DoctorZen

• BobH
  • Zen Level 4
  • Zen Level 4

Replied by BobH on topic VEGAS Pro 18 Rendering Issue

Posted 23 Oct 2020 01:39 #5
Hello again Derek and thank you for your lengthy reply. I use my video PC for my own personal use and not work. I usually save a high quality archive version and also produce BluRay discs of family holidays. If I have the same problem again I can work round it even if the rendering takes rather longer. For large projects I can render overnight so no real problem.

I always get excellent feedback from you so thanks again for your support.
I hope all is well with you in Oz.

Thanks and best wishes.

BobH
by BobH
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.910 seconds