VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Vegas Pro 18 freezes during render after latest update

Vegas Pro 18 was working fine until I did the update. Now it freezes during render.
I have tried Sony AVC/MVC and also Magix AVC AAC mp4. Both Formats I selected "internet 1080-30p".
I have 32 G Ram. NVIDIA RTX 2060. AMD Ryzen 3700 8-core. I am rendering on a SSD internal drive.
I tried with "enable multi-core rendering for playback" on True and then on False. Still hangs during render.
I tried with "disable multi-core rendering" on True and then on False. Still hangs during render.
I have Dynamic RAM preview at 50% of my ram (16g out of 31,693 MB available)
I tried with maximum rendering threads at 32....then at 16. Still hangs during render.
I tried with GPU acceleration set to my NVIDIA 2060...then tried with it off. Still hangs during render.

Here is the error report:

Extra Information
File: C:\Users\Rick\AppData\Local\VEGAS Pro\18.0\dx_video_grovel_x64.log
File: C:\Users\Rick\AppData\Local\VEGAS Pro\18.0\svfx_video_grovel_x64.log
File: C:\Users\Rick\AppData\Local\VEGAS Pro\18.0\svfx_Ofx1_1_plugin_x64-'de.magix_StyleTransfer' (0, Multiple Contexts).log
File: C:\Users\Rick\AppData\Local\VEGAS Pro\18.0\svfx_Ofx1_1_plugin_x64-'de.magix_StyleTransfer' (0, Filter).log
File: C:\Users\Rick\AppData\Local\VEGAS Pro\18.0\svfx_Ofx1_1_plugin_x64-'de.magix_Colorization' (1, Multiple Contexts).log
File: C:\Users\Rick\AppData\Local\VEGAS Pro\18.0\svfx_Ofx1_1_plugin_x64-'de.magix_Colorization' (1, Filter).log
File: C:\Users\Rick\AppData\Local\VEGAS Pro\18.0\ocio_x64.log
File: C:\Users\Rick\AppData\Local\VEGAS Pro\18.0\dx_grovel_x64.log
File: C:\Users\Rick\AppData\Local\VEGAS Pro\18.0\gpu_video_x64.log

Problem Description
Application Name: VEGAS Pro
Application Version: Version 18.0 (Build 373)

Fault Process Details
Process Path: C:\Program Files\VEGAS\VEGAS Pro 18.0\vegas180.exe
Process Version: Version 18.0 (Build 373)
Process Description: VEGAS Pro
Process Image Date: 2020-10-27 (Tue Oct 27) 04:36:20
Last Edit:02 Nov 2020 18:41 by RickStewart

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Vegas Pro 18 freezes during render after latest update

Posted 02 Nov 2020 19:16 #2
Hi Rick

You only had to send one message to me!
It's not necessary to send 3 different messages on the same topic.
I have added your error report to your forum message.

It sounds like you have been watching many YouTube videos, going by all the things you have been trying.
I would strongly advise not to do any of the things you have listed.
In fact some of the things you said you have done, will actually have a negative impact and cause even more problems for you!

To un-do all of the settings you have changed, please do a full program reset.
This will restore all settings back to factory defaults.
Whenever Vegas Pro does something unusual "out of the blue", the first thing I would normally do, is a full program reset.
Instructions here:
www.moviestudiozen.com/doctor-zen-faq/573-how-to-reset-sony-software-to-default-settings#a1

Don't set Dynamic RAM to 16000MBs!!!
Dynamic RAM preview has nothing to do with rendering your video.
In fact, increasing this setting is actually taking away RAM for Vegas, for rendering video.
Dynamic RAM is only used for temporary timeline rendering of small sections.
Keep Dynamic RAM set at 200MBs or 0MBs.
Some users often report that setting this to 0MBs (that's zero), fixes render crashes.

You said that your problems only started after you updated Vegas Pro to the latest build version.
The new build version of Vegas Pro 18 is build #373.
rdir.magix.net/?page=SI7T5A3Q7668
Logically, that could mean there is a new bug in the latest version of Vegas Pro 18.
If this is the case, the first thing you should actually do, is re-install the previous version.
1. Uninstall Vegas Pro 18
2. Download Build #334 from here: rdir.magix.net/?page=QA8461JNAYJG
If you are using Google Chrome, copy this link address into a new tab and download.
3. Install older version.
Do another program reset to clear the cache.
Please note that when you re-install/uninstall different versions of Vegas, it does not clean the cache. That is why it is important to do a manual reset.
See if everything is back to normal.

If there is a problem with the new build version of Vegas Pro, you need to post a message on the official Vegas Forums, so that the developers know there maybe a problem. I have the exact same GPU as yourself, and Vegas Pro 18 is working OK for me after the update.
www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/vegas-pro-forum/

Most render crashes are caused by incorrect settings set by the User and/or Video FX that you may have added to your project.

Also make sure you have the latest Nvidia Drivers installed for your RTX 2060.
If you are not a gamer and mainly use your computer for content creation, I would advise you try installing the Studio version of the Nvidia Drivers and do a clean install. The Studio Drivers are more stable with Vegas Pro.

www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx

I see you have also posted on the Vegas Forums, so before I invest anymore time, I will wait for you to go back and try the basics.
Be patient and don't panic.
A step by step patient approach will locate the problem.

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:02 Nov 2020 22:23 by DoctorZen

Replied by RickStewart on topic Vegas Pro 18 freezes during render after latest update

Posted 02 Nov 2020 19:25 #3
thank you. I have made a donation to you for your help.

I had found another thread of yours 30 minutes ago and did the full program reset.
I set dynamic ram to 200mByte

i also used your other article and downloaded the NVIDIA driver. Did a clean install of studio version .

Just finished the batch render without a glitch.

MANY THANKS.

Do you sell tutorial videos for advanced topics? Such as creating title slides and Lower 1/3 's ???
I had Titler Pro on my previous Sony Vegas Pro (v. 14 i believe)....but when I upgraded to 18...I lost the Titler Pro.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Vegas Pro 18 freezes during render after latest update

Posted 02 Nov 2020 22:33 #4
Thanks for reporting back :)
Thank you for the donation - it is appreciated.

I have been using Nvidia GPUs for many years now and often use to get problems.
Since changing to the Studio Drivers, things seem to have become more stable.

Do you sell tutorial videos for advanced topics? Such as creating title slides and Lower 1/3 's ???
I had Titler Pro on my previous Sony Vegas Pro (v. 14 i believe)....but when I upgraded to 18...I lost the Titler Pro.

No I don't sell any tutorials or products, right at this moment.
I have been quiet for a long time, due to a permanent medical condition flaring up for most of the year.
However, I will be releasing my first paid training course very soon and cover things like lower 3rds.
I don't want to say more than that, until it is ready - I will make plenty of announcements when it is time.
Cheers :)
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Replied by RickStewart on topic Vegas Pro 18 freezes during render after latest update

Posted 07 Nov 2020 18:29 #5
OK. I have taken all of Derek's advice and implemented all of the changes he recommends

If I render one individual segment...everything is fine.

But when I do a batch render under tools --> scripting....it freezes during render. The only way I can get out of this is ctl-alt-delete.

I have attached the error report.

I am totally willing to pay someone for an hour zoom session to check all my settings. I have many videos to still edit & render for work and these delays are really killing me. I have a support ticket out with Magix, but they have not responded since Nov 4.

File Attachment:

File Name: ErrorReport-5.zip
File Size:2,214 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: SI.txt
File Size:1,820 KB

Posted 07 Nov 2020 21:41 #6
I just decided to do a clean install. I think the problems started when Vegas asked to install updates to the vegas deep learning models.

I do not believe that I am using the AI features of the deep learning module....so I did not have that part of Vegas re-installed.

I am batch rendering 21 segments now....let's see if this works.

Posted 07 Nov 2020 21:59 #7
Still froze up during batch render....even after clean install of Pro 18, (Build 373)

I guess I will try Derek's advice and install the previous build.

Posted 08 Nov 2020 00:29 #8
There is a slim chance, that I may have accidentally discovered what is also causing your problem.
Tonight I discovered my own problem with Vegas Pro 18 #373, after I installed the update and new AI Deep Learning Models update.
The Video Effect associated with Vegas AI Deep Learning Models, is Style Transfer in the Video FX tab.
It was completely missing after the update - for other Vegas users it was there but not loading properly.
I have a gut feeling this could also be the causing your problem!?

If you have an Intel CPU, this may be the cause of the problem.
There are Intel versions of the same file that Vegas uses, and they need to be replaced with the Vegas version, then Vegas should start functioning normally again.
Before you follow these instructions, I recommend installing the new version of AI Models.
Download the Vegas Pro installer app and run it.
dl03.magix.net/vegaspro18_dlm_eij3hp.exe

Install only the file I have highlighted.

This is the Vegas Forum thread that discusses this problem and also provides the solution:
www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/ai-models-not-showing-in-vegas-18-all-builds--124919/?page=1

@VegasPascal is one of the Vegas developers.
He posted the solution here:
www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/ai-models-not-showing-in-vegas-18-all-builds--124919/?page=2#ca778280

Vegas Pro 18 uses a file called tbb.dll
Intel also has versions of this file.
The solution is to replace the Intel versions with the Vegas Pro 18 version.

Location of Vegas Pro 18 version is here. Located file and Copy.
C:\Program Files\VEGAS\VEGAS Pro 18.0
tbb.dll

Location of Intel tbb.dll files are here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\OpenCL SDK\3.0\bin\x64\tbb
C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\OpenCL SDK\3.0\bin\x86\tbb

Delete Intel tbb.dll versions and replace with Vegas Pro version.

Now do another full program reset for Vegas Pro.
Instructions here:
www.moviestudiozen.com/doctor-zen-faq/573-how-to-reset-sony-software-to-default-settings#a1

Now see if batch rendering is working again!
If it is not working, you need to create a new forum post on the official Vegas Forums, and explain exactly what is happening.
Make sure to mention this only started happening after the update!
The developers of Vegas Pro are very active on the Vegas Forum, so I would recommend you create a new post on the official forum and explain your problem clearly.

Create a subject that says something like this:
"Batch rendering fails in Vegas Pro 18, after installing Build version 373"

Let me know if removing the duplicate tbb.dll files fixed your problem, so that I can tell others what to do.
Last Edit:08 Nov 2020 00:45 by DoctorZen

Posted 08 Nov 2020 04:06 #9
Derek,

Your website and willingness to help is amazing.

However I have an AMD Ryzen 7 processor....so you instructions did not work for me.

I have posted on the Sony Vegas forums
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Posted 08 Nov 2020 16:39 #10
It worked. Thanks Derek.

Uninstall Vegas Pro 18 and re-installed previous version Build 334 worked. Just did a successful batch render of 18 clips.

Maybe it is just my computer...maybe it was in the update. But Build #373 had some sort of bug that my computer did not like.
Last Edit:31 Dec 2020 10:31 by RickStewart

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.831 seconds