Question Vegas Pro 17 has stopped working

• Thank you received: 0
Problem:  My Vegas Pro 17 has suddenly stopped working.
(I’ve used Vegas for years with no problem.) I’ve searched all the forums, and have researched the error code that appears.
I contacted Magix support two weeks ago, but no help yet.
About 3 seconds after clicking the Vegas icon to open an existing project, the “Vegas Pro has stopped working” box appears), and the project does not open.(see attached).
This is true of all existing projects.
Also:  If I open a new (empty) project using the Vegas logo on the timeline, an empty Vegas project screen does appear.
However, it will not accept any project media, neither whether dragged into the project media box, on onto the timeline (the red circle with bar appears.
I have completely uninstalled the program, removed all Vegas-related files from my PC, and reinstalled – it still doesn’t work. I’ve uninstalled Boris FX to be sure there’s no conflict there – But I still can’t open Vegas.

Following is the problem description that appears when I try to use Pro 17:
Application Name:  VEGAS Pro   Application Version: Version 17.0 (Build 452)
Problem: Unmanaged Exception (0xe06d7363)
Fault Module:        C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Fault Address:       0x00007FFCCDC54B59
Fault Offset:        0x0000000000034B59
Fault Process Details  
Process Path:        C:\Program Files\VEGAS\VEGAS Pro 17.0\vegas170.exe  
Process Version:     Version 17.0 (Build 452)   Process Description: VEGAS Pro  
Process Image Date:  2020-05-08 (Fri May 08) 17:08:36 

Thank you in advance for any ideas!

Intel i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20 GHz
Operating system: - Windows 10
Memory: - 32 GB
Graphics Card: - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Vegas program is loaded on internal SSD
02 May 2021 01:00 #1
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1453
Hi Dougray

Kernelbase errors normally indicate a problem with Windows 10.
Maybe a Windows 10 update corrupted something on your computer and is causing Vegas to crash.

Back when Vegas Pro 17 was the newest version of Vegas Pro, there was a widespread problem with a lot of VP17 owners, after they upgraded to VP17 Build version #387.
The problem was exactly the same as what you are experiencing now!
There is a long thread on the official Vegas Forums here about that problem:
www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/vegas-pro-17-wont-load-at-all--118224/?page=1

However, when a new build update was released, it fixed the problem for basically everyone.
If I am understanding everything correctly, there was a particular combination of Hardware items and a specific build version of Windows 10, that was the cause of that problem.

There is an in-depth troubleshooting guide on the official Vegas Pro Forum, about Vegas not starting up:
www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/faq-vegas-pro-won-t-start-what-can-i-do--104784/

My Solution Recommendations
Instead of wasting days and days of time and not finding a solution, here are my best recommendations for fixing your problem.

1. Make sure to do a full program reset for Vegas Pro 17.
www.moviestudiozen.com/doctor-zen-faq/573-how-to-reset-sony-software-to-default-settings#a1
When you uninstall and reinstall Vegas, it never cleans the cache.
Only doing a full program reset will do this!

2. After a reset, try opening Vegas Pro 17 first - don't try opening old projects just yet!
If you can get Vegas to open, go directly to Options/Preferences/Video - GPU Acceleration
Make sure your Nvidia graphics card is selected and not Intel !!!
Re-boot program.
Now try and open a saved project.

3. If Vegas still will not open, install a free program called CCleaner.
www.ccleaner.com/
After it is installed, don't use Health Check - ignore that option !!!

In the Custom Clean section, make sure these items are selected under System
Press analyze and then run cleaner

Next select Registry
Press Scan for Issues
Press Review selected Issues
Back up registry just in case something goes wrong, however in more than 10 years of using this program, noting has gone wrong!

Now re-boot Windows and see if Vegas Pro opens now.

If it doesn't, press Windows Start button and select Settings COG
Select Update and Security
Check for updates

Now see if Vegas Pro opens.

If it doesn't open, my strong recommendation is to do a Clean Re-install of Windows 10.
Doing a clean re-install of Windows 10 will give you a clean slate.
Yes it is time consuming, but you will actually save time instead of banging your head.
Just last week I had to re-install Windows 10.
Something went wrong and all Windows Updates failed to install.
I wasted half a day trying to troubleshoot the problem and got nowhere.
Re-installing Windows solved the problem!!!

I have actually re-installed Windows many times myself.
Twice it was because something went wrong with Vegas Pro that could not be fixed.

I have an in-depth tutorial for how to reinstall Windows 10 here:
www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tutorials/computers-and-video-editing/548-how-to-do-a-clean-install-of-windows-10
If you decide to reinstall Windows, remember to back up your files BEFORE you start.
If you have multiple Hard Drives, you only have to backup the C-Drive.
D-Drives and more don't get touched during a reinstall if you are careful and follow instructions.

Regards
Derek

:idea: Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Peace :)
02 May 2021 18:18 #2
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds

Make a Donation

Movie Studio Zen is a fully independent site and all our content is free. You can help support this site by making a PayPal donation.

MSZ Social Media

youtube  facebook  twitter

MovieStudioZen.com

Copyright © 2021 MovieStudioZen.com.
All rights reserved.