VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved No way to save Preferences after Vegas reinstall?

No way to save Preferences after Vegas reinstall? was created by dougray

Posted 14 Aug 2021 05:22 #1
I need to reinstall Vegas Pro 17.  Is there any way to save all my preferences, and replace them after the Vegas reinstall?(Vegas 17 is suddenly crashing every 5 minutes, regardless of activity  -- even when simply viewing clips in trim window.  The crash freezes Windows, requiring a system restart. Vegas is the only program causing the system crash.  I’ve had no automatic Windows updates since May.On  the Vegas reinstall, I’d rather not recreate all my many preferences if I don’t have to!Thanks for any help. System:Intel i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20 GHzWindows 10Memory: - 32 GBGraphics Card: - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GBVegas program and operating system are loaded on internal SSDs
Last Edit:14 Aug 2021 09:56 by dougray

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic No way to save Preferences after Vegas reinstall?

Posted 14 Aug 2021 10:08 #2
I honestly don't know the specific instructions for doing this with version 17, without spending hours trying to work it out.
There are different categories of presets in Vegas - some are stored in your Documents folder (they don't get deleted), some are in the Windows Registry and some are in the Temporary Files Cache.

It would be faster just to do a full program reset right now and manually re-do any settings that are important.

Please also note that just re-installing the program, often will not fix the problem.
When you re-install Vegas, it does not clean the temporary files cache.
This is why it is best to do a full program reset, every time something weird happens with Vegas.
Reset instructions here:
www.moviestudiozen.com/doctor-zen-faq/573-how-to-reset-sony-software-to-default-settings#a1

If Windows is crashing when Vegas Pro crashes, that would indicate a bigger problem with your computer.
If I was to place a bet, it sounds like part of Windows may have become corrupted - the part that Vegas uses.
If Windows keeps crashing after you reinstall Vegas and do a program reset, I would recommend doing a Clean Re-install of Windows and all your programs.
Yes this is a big task and a pain to do, but sometimes is necessary - I have done this many times myself.

Regards
Derek

ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Replied by dougray on topic No way to save Preferences after Vegas reinstall?

Posted 14 Aug 2021 23:44 #3
Thank you for your quick reply.  I’ll do as you suggest.
by dougray

Posted 15 Aug 2021 06:19 #4
Thanks for your response.  As you suggested, I did a reset of Vegas Pro 17 (including deleting all cashed application data) – but still, Vegas crashes (freezes) almost immediately. CORRECTION TO FIRST POST:  Windows does NOT crash when Vegas crashes.  All other Windows programs and functions continue to work perfectly.  When Vegas freezes, the Trim Event icon always appears (though I hadn’t used that function since opening Vegas), and it can be moved on the Vegas screen.  But it doesn’t do anything, and all other functions in Vegas are frozen (including other choices on the tool bar).Again, the Vegas crash/freeze occurs within a minute or two after opening a new or existing project, regardless of the action – it’s can be as simple as loading a clip into the Trim window. Thanks again for any ideas.  I’ve posted this the Magix, and am awaiting a reply.

Last Edit:15 Aug 2021 13:28 by dougray

Posted 15 Aug 2021 13:35 #5
I recommend you post your problem on the official Vegas Pro forums, where you will get more eyeballs to read your post and hopefully more help.
www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/

At the moment, I don't have any spare time to be diagnosing complicated problems like this - normally I would.
I'm trying to stay focussed so I can get many new tutorials completed, without feeling burnt out and stressed.
I hope you understand.

Regards, Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Replied by Robbie on topic No way to save Preferences after Vegas reinstall?

Posted 15 Aug 2021 22:07 #6

At the moment, I don't have any spare time to be diagnosing complicated problems like this - normally I would.
I'm trying to stay focussed so I can get many new tutorials completed, without feeling burnt out and stressed.
I hope you understand. Derek

No mean feat given this weekend's imposition of Covid lockdowns throughout regional New South Wales ... take care Doc.
Cheers, Robbie

Last Edit:30 Mar 2022 11:38 by Robbie
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Posted 16 Aug 2021 00:05 #7
Thank you, Derek.  I've already posted this problem on the Vegas forum, and have had several responses, but so far no solution has been found. Thanks for your input.
Doug
by dougray

Posted 16 Aug 2021 11:18 #8
I will add one quick comment.
If there is not something in your projects that is the cause of this problem, the only thing left to do is a complete re-install of Windows.
Twice in the past (more than 3 years ago), Vegas Pro stopped working and just kept crashing. Nothing I could think of would fix it.
I think in my situation, I had installed another program which somehow screwed up the Windows Registry, which then screwed up Vegas.
After wasting 3 days and going insane, I did a clean re-install of Windows.
I made sure to install ALL Windows Updates before I started re-installing programs.
The first program I installed was Vegas Pro and it was working 100% OK after the clean install of Windows 10.

On the other occasion, Windows Update became corrupted and nothing would install.
Deleting the Windows Update cache had no effect, so once again I was forced to re-install Windows.

Moral to the story: Choose between wasting many days trying to fix a problem that never gets fixed or one day to reset everything.
It is a gamble, because it may not fix the problem. however personally I have had a 100% success rate.

Posted 20 Aug 2021 11:29 #9
Thanks for your reply.  I was hoping to avoid a reinstall of Windows (many programs to reinstall, of course) -- but I think that's my last option.  I appreciate your help.
by dougray

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.802 seconds