VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Glitching 3D transitions during render

Glitching 3D transitions during render was created by BlackSands

Posted 08 Dec 2021 11:34 #1
Just wondering if anyone can offer any insights into what is a rather annoying problem which I experience in both MS17 and VP18:  when I use a 3D transition FX quite often they ended up "glitching" after doing a render (MAGIX AVC / SONY AVC).  The problem is persistent enough that it pretty much makes these transistions unusable.     Thoughts anyone?  
| Movie Studio 17 / VEGAS Pro 19/20) | Intel i5-3.8gHz | 16Gb | nVidia GTX1030 | NewBlue Transistions 5/TotalFX7 |
Last Edit:08 Dec 2021 17:51 by BlackSands

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Glitching 3D transitions during render

Posted 08 Dec 2021 18:03 #2
Hi Black Sands

Glitching in a finished rendered video file, normally indicates a problem with your Graphics Card and/or Graphics Card Driver.
This means it is not processing "encoding" the file correctly, during the render process.

What type of Graphics Card is your computer using ?
Is it using:
1. Intel Integrated Graphics - this is a part of most Intel CPUs.
2. Nvidia
3. AMD Radeon

Make sure you have the latest Drivers installed for your graphics card.

If you have a dedicated Nvidia GPU, I recommend that is the option you use and have turned ON.

If you have the choice between Intel graphics or Nvidia or AMD Radeon, I recommend using Nvidia or AMD Radeon.
Go to Options/Preferences/Video
Check GPU Acceleration to see which graphics option has been turned ON.

There are also new settings in Movie Studio Platinum 17 and Vegas Pro 18, which could be part of the problem.
Go to Options/Preferences/File I/O
Scroll to the bottom and check which Hardware Decoder has been selected.
Once again, I recommend Nvidia if you have an Nvidia GPU.

Frame Rates
Also make sure your Frame Rates are set correctly in the project.
Mis-matched Frame Rates can sometimes cause strange behaviour.
Check to see what your Source Video Frame Rate is.
Make sure the Project Properties are set to match your source video's frame rate.
And finally, make sure to render to the same frame rate as well.

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Replied by BlackSands on topic Glitching 3D transitions during render

Posted 08 Dec 2021 20:03 #3
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm using an nVidia GT1030 with current driver, not exactly 'state-of-the-art' I know.  GPU acceleration and NVidia NIVDEC is selected. 
So, that basically leaves frame rates as he possible source of the problem. I think the clips in this particular project are actually a mix of 25fps and 30fps so maybe that is an issue?  As it happens this is often the case with the videos I put together - clips sourced from different origins so that raises another question... should I in fact be converting them all to the same fps before editing? 

What I've usually been doing is just rendering to a frame rate that I understand Youtube prefer which I believe is 29.97fps.  My assumpton is that if I render to say 25fps YT will just re-encode to 29.97fps anyway...or am I wrong about that?  

| Movie Studio 17 / VEGAS Pro 19/20) | Intel i5-3.8gHz | 16Gb | nVidia GTX1030 | NewBlue Transistions 5/TotalFX7 |

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Glitching 3D transitions during render

Posted 09 Dec 2021 01:44 #4
There is no preferred Frame Rate for YouTube.
YouTube accepts ALL Frame Rates from different regions around the world.
YouTube does NOT convert one frame rate into another.
YouTube supports: 24, 25, 30 (29.97), 48, 50, 60 fps.
The frame rate you work with, is normally the frame rate your country supports.
UK, Asia, Australia, Europe uses 25fps, 50fps, 100fps
North America uses 29.97fps, 60fps, 120fps

Once again, you should be rendering to the same frame rate the majority of your Source Videos are using.

If you are using videos you downloaded from the Internet, that may also be part of the problem.
Some web video on some websites, may use non-standard formats that don't decode well in Vegas.

Technically speaking you don't have to convert different frame rates before importing into Vegas.
However, it really is not a good idea to mix frame rates that are not multiples of each other.
Mixing 25fps and 29.97fps is not a good idea.
Whatever you have the most of, is the frame rate you should set Vegas to.
The rest should be converted to match the majority.

It is OK to mix 24fps and 48fps
It is OK to mix 30fps and 60fps and 120fps
It is OK to mix 25fps and 50fps and 100fps

If any of the your videos are using Variable Frame Rate, you must convert that into Constant Frame Rate.
Video Editing programs work best with Constant Frame Rate video.
Mobile phones record to Variable Frame Rate, which is no good in editors and must be converted to Constant.
If any of your videos use Variable Frame Rate, that will be the cause of your problems!!!

To discover what type of videos you have, use MediaInfo to inspect metadata.
Read/watch this tutorial:
www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tutorials/miscellaneous-help-tutorials/640-how-to-use-mediainfo-app

To learn how to convert Variable Frame Rate to Constant Frame Rate, watch this tutorial from 6:38

ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:09 Dec 2021 01:45 by DoctorZen

Replied by BlackSands on topic Glitching 3D transitions during render

Posted 09 Dec 2021 10:50 #5
Ok, thanks for the info.  The timeline includes a mix of content from stock clips (free) at various frame rates and also some clips shot on a Canon camera. The free stock stuff could have been originally been shot on a smartphone so checking for variable frame rates among those clips might be a place to start I guess.  Cheers.
Last Edit:30 Mar 2022 11:53 by BlackSands

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.826 seconds