VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Noise on rendered images

• Michel
  • Michel's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 5
  • Zen Level 5
  • Thank you received: 32

Noise on rendered images was created by Michel

Posted 27 Jan 2022 09:13 #1
Hi,

I see noise when viewing images rendered via Main Concept MPEG2/Progr. Stream NTSC Widescreen working with Vegas Pro 16.. They are all noisy! So I’m trying to identify the problem.When watching that video on my 25 inch. Monitor, my video with clips and images is perfect. When watching the same video on my Samsung QLED 65 inch TV, the images are awfull, clips are ok. So I copied a few of those images on a flash drive and watched them on that TV. No problem there. So I’m sure that there’s a rendering problem. I’m far from being an expert in that field. Does anyone have an opinion on that matter…thanks     

Michel
Last Edit:30 Mar 2022 12:01 by Michel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Noise on rendered images

Posted 27 Jan 2022 18:20 #2
Hi Michel

When working with Still Images in Video Editing programs, make sure the images are using .png format.
.jpeg images are normally highly compressed and end up looking worse after rendering.

Either output the original images using .png format or convert them to .png format before importing into Vegas Pro.
Also make sure Full Resolution Rendering Quality is set to BEST in your Vegas Pro Project Properties.
Also make sure Resample Mode = Disabled.
I would also turn OFF your Graphics Card in Options/Preferences/Video - GPU Acceleration (then re-boot program).
I always do this when rendering to MPEG-2 for DVD or Blu-ray in Vegas, and then make sure to render with your CPU only.
For many, many years, I always use to experience weird problems only when rendering to MPEG-2 format - when I turned off the GPU, all the problems went away.

When you finally get to DVD Architect, make sure the Frame Rate matches the same frame rate you used in Vegas.
If it doesn't match, it will get re-rendered and look awful.

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

• Michel
  • Zen Level 5
  • Zen Level 5

Replied by Michel on topic Noise on rendered images

Posted 27 Jan 2022 23:39 #3
Hi Derek,

Nice to read you. Thanks for a quick answer. I will try it right now.

Have a nice one.

Michel
by Michel

• Michel
  • Zen Level 5
  • Zen Level 5

Posted 28 Jan 2022 00:48 #4
Hi Derek,

Applying all the changes you suggested It does work and the difference in quality is very noticeable. The only thing, I'm wondering if the quality would improve if I'd use another format like .mp4 which I'll try.

Have a nice one Derek.

Michel 
by Michel
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Posted 28 Jan 2022 13:53 #5

The only thing, I'm wondering if the quality would improve if I'd use another format like .mp4 which I'll try.

That is something for you to experiment with.
If you render to MPEG-2 with a high enough Bit Rate, it should look OK.
I rarely make DVDs or Blu-ray discs now.
When I was making Blu-rays, I only used MPEG-2 for Blu-ray, because there was a Bit Rate calculator I use to use, that could calculate the highest possible Bit Rates and produce the highest quality video, and it made sure it would fit on the one disc. This special Bit Rate calculator would only work for MPEG-2 video.

This is the Bit Rate calculator I am referring to:
dvd-hq.info/bitrate_calculator.php
It is an online calculator and it does require a bit of brain power and patience to understand.

High quality .mp4 videos using Voukoder
For the last 18 months, I now use a free app called Voukoder to render all .mp4 video with Vegas Pro.
This encoder renders better quality video, but with smaller file sizes, compared to the Magix AVC encoder in Vegas.
I haven't made a tutorial about how to use it yet, however I did post basic instructions on the forum here:
www.moviestudiozen.com/forum/vegas-pro/3053-vegas-pro-render-settings-help#15295

You need to install 2x apps which get it working directly in the Vegas Render As window.
To control video quality, all you have to do is set a Constant Rate Factor number.
Lower values = higher quality and bigger file sizes
Higher values = lower quality and smaller file sizes

If you use Handbrake, you will be able to understand Voukoder - it uses the same rendering engine.

ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

• Michel
  • Zen Level 5
  • Zen Level 5

Posted 29 Jan 2022 00:12 #6
Hi Derek,

When I wrote you back to tell you that your suggestions did improve the quality I had just took images (png) and made a test video of 30 seconds and it looked pretty decent and watched it on my QLED TV. I then took the video that included clips and images that were "noisy'', and replaced a few of those images with the .png format and applied all the settings suggested. It wasn't working in .mpg. Tried it in the .mp4 format a bit better but not that musch. What I noticed Derek is that the quality will vary on the output device used. On my PC monitor, I'd say close to excellent, on an ordinary non smart TV a bit less than excellent and on my 65 inch QLED TV just Good, not suitable to be seen withy my family and that is what I'm trying to correct.

So I decided to sart fresh and made a new TEST video of 30 seconds using images and clips in the .mp4 mode. Since I'll be watching that video and all others I used the Big QLED and the result was the same as the previous test. I will try your latest suggestion and inform you of the results...thanks Derek.

Have a nice one.

Michel 
by Michel

Replied by ericlnz on topic Noise on rendered images

Posted 29 Jan 2022 15:02 #7
If you are watching NTSC SD on a 65 inch TV I'm not surprised.  How close are you to the TV?

The image on your TV is being created from a mere 720x480 pixel original image.
by ericlnz

Posted 29 Jan 2022 19:39 #8
Thanks @Eric 

I totally forgot to ask if Michel was making DVDs or Blu-ray discs.
I had assumed he was making Blu-rays.

If you are making DVDs Michel, that would explain the problem.
DVDs should go the way of the dinosaurs.
Blu-ray is BEST solution for making physical media.

Replied by ericlnz on topic Noise on rendered images

Posted 29 Jan 2022 20:42 #9
It's not clear what Michel is working with?  He says clips and images.  Presumably he is using video clips and still images.

If so what resolution are the video clips and images?
by ericlnz

• Michel
  • Zen Level 5
  • Zen Level 5

Posted 31 Jan 2022 01:03 #10
Hi Derek,

For your information. I've been making DVD's for the annual family video since the birth of my grand son 15 years ago. I do make DVD's also for friends for exemple after a long cycling tour that they'll keep and watch later on. So I do use the mpg format for that purpose. But I know that DVD is not the best format and I'm trying to recycle myself in using another format like mp4 that could be stored either on a flash drive, a hard disk or both. 
Answering another question from ericinz. I am french speaking and hope I'm not mixing words that mean the same thing. For me am image is a still picture or photography and a clip, is a video clip. If there are better terms to identify those elements please let me know.

Thanks for your help everybody. Derek left me with alot of good stuff to read and watch.

Have a nice one wherever  you are in the world.

Michel

by Michel

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.925 seconds