VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Rendering mixed frame rates

• ilyk49
  • ilyk49's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 3
  • Zen Level 3
  • Thank you received: 13

Rendering mixed frame rates was created by ilyk49

Posted 13 Feb 2022 18:18 #1
I have video (all 1920 x 1080) but with different frame rates. The frame rates are 23.98, 24, 25 and 29.97. I want to use these clips in a new video. What is the best render setting to use in VP 19 to create a new video using the clips with the different frame rates ie what fame rate should I use for the new video project?  Thanks
Last Edit:17 Feb 2022 11:18 by ilyk49

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Rendering mixed frame rates

Posted 17 Feb 2022 11:26 #2
I have spoken about this topic many times before in many different tutorials.

Normally I would recommend using the Frame Rate that represents the most videos that use the same frame rate.
Let all the lesser videos conform to the bulk of the project.

Example:
If your project contains 10x videos@25 fps, 1x video@23.98, 1x video@24.00 and 2x videos@29.97,
set the Project Properties = 25fps and render at 25fps.

Also experiment with turning Resampling OFF or ON.
Open Project Properties and set Resample Mode = Disable Resample or Frame Blending.
It all depends on what mixture of frame rates you have, as to whether this setting should be on or off.
Render 2x versions and see which one looks the sharpest.

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

• ilyk49
  • ilyk49's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 3
  • Zen Level 3
  • Thank you received: 13

Replied by ilyk49 on topic Rendering mixed frame rates

Posted 18 Feb 2022 18:04 #3
Thanks for the response. I thought that might be the case. Have followed your suggestion and also disabled resample in the clips with a differnt framerate to the project settings and the final product has worked out well.  Cheers  Peter
Last Edit:19 Feb 2022 12:04 by ilyk49
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

• JN-
  • JN-'s Avatar Offline
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2
  • Thank you received: 3

Replied by JN- on topic Rendering mixed frame rates

Posted 01 May 2022 04:09 #4
Hi Ilyk49, I appreciate that Dereks answered and given you what is the best solution.  I ran into a similar situation last Xmas, shot most of home video clips at 25fps on RX100, but also shot a smaller number on Samsung phone at 30fps, still no 25 fps option on Samsung.

I had just recently finished putting together a small util to change frame rate, without re-encoding the video. So I used it to convert the few Samsung phone clips from 30 to 25 fps. The advantage of doing it this way is that VP then doesn’t have to do any interpolation etc, all clips in the project are at the same 25 fps. The very slight disadvantage is that the duration of the phone clips is now changed slightly, but not really noticeable.

Last Edit:01 May 2022 04:11 by JN-

Replied by ericlnz on topic Rendering mixed frame rates

Posted 01 May 2022 09:41 #5
What you are doing is probably the same as "Add at Project Frame Rate" which is an option obtained by right clicking on an event in the Project Media pane.
by ericlnz

• JN-
  • JN-'s Avatar Offline
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2

Posted 01 May 2022 10:04 #6
I doubt it. What I am doing is changing the presentation time stamps of the video. No new frames are created, or thrown away. As a result the duration of the video clip is altered to accommodate these new frame times. Therefore no transcoding of the video takes place. The audio is transcoded to either aac or a wav file. Video only as output is also an option.

I assume that VP interpolates new frames or skips frames to get the same result. My method can be used to fix phone VFR clips, but obviously can also be used to typically create slomo output.

Slomo example : The new GH6 camera can output two different types of high frame rates. HFR and VFR. As you probably know this GH6 VFR is not the same as phone VFR.
A disadvantage of say shooting the GH6 VFR at say 100 fps and getting conformed in camera and output to 25 fps is that AF is not available, only MF. But by shooting at HFR of 100 fps and conforming to 25 fps on PC means that AF is available in HFR. In this 2nd. HFR 100 fps output usage, of course VP could also do the velocity change if the clip needs editing.
Last Edit:01 May 2022 10:09 by JN-

Replied by ericlnz on topic Rendering mixed frame rates

Posted 01 May 2022 19:18 #7
No, Vegas doesn't interpolate or skip frames when adding at Project Frame Rate..  It does as you describe "the duration of the video clip is altered to accommodate these new frame times".

Adding 30fps clips at Project Frame rate of 25fps results in 1 second of the clip occupying 30 frames on the timeline so it now occupies and plays for 1.20 seconds.

by ericlnz

• JN-
  • JN-'s Avatar Offline
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2

Posted 01 May 2022 23:34 #8
Well Eric, I am delighted to hear that, genuinely.  I assumed that some of the following was taking place, interpolation, skipping or blending. Thanks for the clarification.

So, perhaps your comment … “Add at Project Frame Rate which is an option obtained by right clicking on an event in the Project Media pane.

could be seen as an addition to Derek’s initial response, making sure to leave resample off.
Last Edit:01 May 2022 23:47 by JN-

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 2.280 seconds