VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Working with HD1080-50i and get good quality.

Working with HD1080-50i and get good quality. was created by kiwihans

Posted 04 Dec 2014 13:56 #1
For some time I have attempted to go with HD1080-50P(progressive) but found I was getting too many artifacts.

To get to the point - I have switched to HD1080-50i(interleaved)after reading comments in this forum. Playback is much smoother now, the boxy artifacts I was getting have disappeared! GREAT! However there is now another problem - when I am panning a shot all verticals - like fence posts, trees, sticks -anything vertical now display a herring bone pattern (like wavy lines). Its quite noticeable and annoying - I can't pass this on to my customers.

I have tried most of the options in "switches", changing the field order and trying various de-interlace modes - none make any difference. Any further ideas folks?
Thanks in advance.

kiwihans
New Zealand

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Working with HD1080-50i and get good quality.

Posted 06 Dec 2014 16:09 #2
I have said the same thing over and over again in all my rendering tutorials.
For best video quality, you should always MATCH the Project Properties to be the same as your original Source Video's properties.

So if your video camera is shooting 1920x1080-50p, your Project Properties should be set to the exact same setting.
This is easily done by using the Match Media button or simply saying YES to matching the media settings when you import your first video clip.
Obviously if you intend to make DVDs from 1920x1080-50p video, you cannot render to 50p settings. You must render to 720x576-25i.
If you made Blu-rays instead, you would have the option of rendering to 1920x1080-50i or 1280x720-50p.
The Blu-ray specification only allows 1920x1080 to be interlaced video, whereas 1280x720 is allowed to be rendered at 50p or 60p "progressive".
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Replied by kiwihans on topic Working with HD1080-50i and get good quality.

Posted 06 Dec 2014 19:30 #3

DoctorZen wrote: I have said the same thing over and over again in all my rendering tutorials.
For best video quality, you should always MATCH the Project Properties to be the same as your original Source Video's properties.

So if your video camera is shooting 1920x1080-50p, your Project Properties should be set to the exact same setting.
This is easily done by using the Match Media button or simply saying YES to matching the media settings when you import your first video clip.
Obviously if you intend to make DVDs from 1920x1080-50p video, you cannot render to 50p settings. You must render to 720x576-25i.
If you made Blu-rays instead, you would have the option of rendering to 1920x1080-50i or 1280x720-50p.
The Blu-ray specification only allows 1920x1080 to be interlaced video, whereas 1280x720 is allowed to be rendered at 50p or 60p "progressive".

Quite correct! I have been using the Match Media button. Although I did not mention making DVD's, I have also experimenting the following setting: 720x576x32, 25.000i. to see how a DVD might turn out. Its not DVD I am concerned about, its what the images look like while they are still 1920x1080-50i. On our large 50 inch Panasonic Plasma TV screen the images look fantastic. They are not looking like this coming from my smaller TV monitor via Vegas 13.
Could it be due to my Nvidia GE Force 7600 GS graphics card is not handling HD video very well perhaps? I am considering upgrading my PC here and looking at one of the Radeon R9 cards you recommend in your tutorials...

Posted 13 Dec 2014 12:31 #4
I am getting two quotes from PC companies to upgrade my computer. I am hopeful upgrading will solve some problems. Anyhow, I am going for a Intel Core i7 4790k 4.0Ghz 8MB LGA - Haswell. The graphics card will be a AMD R9 280X.

The motherboard will be a Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 In the meantime I am going for 8GB ram - the motherboard can take 16 GB I will see how it goes first...

Does anyone have any comments Pro/Con about the above setup?
Last Edit:13 Dec 2014 12:34 by kiwihans

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Working with HD1080-50i and get good quality.

Posted 13 Dec 2014 16:58 #5
Your CPU and Graphics Card choice is perfect.

If you are going to build a new computer, then you MUST install an SSD Drive and use this as the C-Drive.
SSD's have come down in price dramatically. I would advise a minimum size of 250GB.
Samsung and Intel make very good Solid State Drives.
Windows and all your programs would live on this drive.

You would also need/use conventional Hard Disc Drives to use as storage for Video and Pictures.

Regards
Derek.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Posted 13 Dec 2014 18:07 #6
I got one of these 256GB solid state drives back in August. Its not an Intel or Samsung, but an ADATA and yes its my C: drive. It appears to give a good turn of speed.

As I may have mentioned previously I do video as a business and specialize in working and restoring old Regular and Super 8mm movies. About 90% of my work is therefore Standard Definition. I am starting to move now into doing some High Definition slide work. BTW my new system will also include a Blue Ray drive for those that want HD slide shows.
Strangely or not - Blue Ray has not really taken off here. I have yet to meet a customer who wants their shows on Blue Ray disk. However I have not pushed this as an option either but will start to do that.

I get more and more customers that want work on their data stick or portable data drive. It looks like this is the way the industry here in NZ is going to go.

As mentioned before, I was having a lot of problems with Artifacts on Vegas 13. These started happening on Standard Definition video - not something I had problems with on Vegas 8.0 the artifacts showed up as little boxes. They became more prevalent as I applied filters to clips.
I persuaded Sony to let me re-activate Vegas 8.0 in fact I upgrading this to Vegas 8.0 C version so it would work with HD. The artifacts in SD completely disappeared! Even HD video whilst being slow improved as far as artifacts also. I have a feeling there might be a codec difference between Vegas 13 and Vegas 8.0 - it surprises me that no one else has noticed this.
I will know this for sure when I start running editing with the new upgraded system, which will happen after New Year.

Posted 25 Dec 2014 11:37 #7
Last week I had my PC upgraded:

Intel core i7 4.0GHZ
New motherboard with 16GB DDR3 ram
Saphire Radeon R9 285 graphics card

To summarize, my system is now running at top speed! After carefully matching project settings, I am still experiencing artifact problems: Jagged edges on verticals when panning, small blocks appearing at random. I imported some small files from my camera taken at 1080i 25fps. Did a few minor edits and rendered back to a HD file.

Played the whole project back on our 50" Plasma TV - not a sigh of any glitches whatsoever in other words: Perfection!

When editing I play the clips back through firewire - TV monitor - in composite mode. Maybe there is some compatibility problem here between DV and HDMI video causing artifacts.
My TV monitor has a HDMI input - my graphics card a HDMI output. When connected, all I get is the Windows symbol on the TV monitor - no video clips in fact the PC monitor is now black. Is there a way of making this work?

Replied by TreeTops on topic Working with HD1080-50i and get good quality.

Posted 26 Dec 2014 09:05 #8
On some TV's you have to go into settings and select COMPUTER to get it to recognize your input.

Posted 29 Dec 2014 17:45 #9
Thanks for the idea Tree Tops, but I was getting a picture from my PC which was the Windows Logo. Its the output you get when you tick on "video" just above the preview screen - it just isn't there.....
Last Edit:30 Jan 2015 23:58 by kiwihans

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 1.012 seconds