VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Why do files get bigger when I make a copy of my project?

I've been making extra copies of my projects for safety by renaming them. I have recently found that the new copy gets bigger--without any further editing for some reason. For example, one project started out at 192KB, but after renaming, suddenly grew to 236KB.

The problem I'm having with this is that the new copy then takes a lot longer to load, and staggers during playback, making further editing difficult.

Is there a way to get around this? Do I need to simply store my projects on a removable drive?!

Also---I wrote 5 months ago about problems with How to turn off the tangent function in Vegas Pro 12 masking: I have been so swamped with other editing projects for our studio that I still haven't had a chance to try your suggestions or send you a video capture....Will eventually get back to that. Am still extremely grateful for your willingness to teach all this. Thank you.
Last Edit:30 Jan 2015 23:58 by Nashville Side Streets

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Why do files get bigger when I make a copy of my project?

Posted 28 Dec 2014 12:07 #2
Hi there

I have never heard of this before.

Whenever I am working on big projects, I continuously save new versions of the project.veg file.
So I end up with project_V1.veg, project_V2.veg, project_V3.veg..........
I do this so I can go back in time, in case I break the newest version of the project I am working on.

Each time I do this, I am using the function Save As and then renaming the project file. This is how I create a copy of the project.

I just opened up a couple of my own projects and re-saved them with new file names, using Save As.
My project file size did not increase.

Are you copying your project files the same way or using some other method ?

Regards
Derek.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Yes I am copying them that same way.

For example:

Here are a few files I renamed with their file type and their size:

Eric Bikales NH Nov.17 .veg 189KB

Eric Bikales NH Nov.27 .veg 242KB

Eric Bikales NH Oct.30 .veg 189KB (Same as the first...)

Eric Bikales NH Oct.30.veg.bak.bak X 276KB

Eric Bikales NH Oct.30.veg.bak.bak X.veg 276KB (No change...)

I am clearly screwing something up when I copy...Not clear on the Vegas automatic file system of .veg & .bak...like why it names one file .veg and another .bak
or both as in the 2 above.

Could this amount of diff. in file size cause slow loading and staggered, jumpy playback?

Thank you so much for your help.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Why do files get bigger when I make a copy of my project?

Posted 30 Dec 2014 22:55 #4
I have been thinking about your problem before I answered.

I have no idea what is going on here.
Personally I have never seen this behaviour or had anyone else ever talk about this as a problem.
All I can suggest as a general tonic, is to perform a full program reset.
Do this:
Turn Movie Studio/Vegas/DVD Architect Off.
Hold down CONTROL and SHIFT keys at the same time AND ALSO AT THE SAME TIME double click program icon on Desktop to Boot program.
Window will pop up.
Select Delete Cache and Yes.
This will restore program to Factory Default Settings.

If you want to pursue this any further, I suggest you post your problem on the Sony Creative Software Vegas Pro Forum and Creative Cow Vegas Pro Forum.
Make sure to also do intensive Google searches on this and to search both the forums I mentioned.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:28 Mar 2015 01:27 by DoctorZen

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.731 seconds