VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Sony Vegas Pro - Render settings for USA

• Jane W
  • Jane W's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2
  • Thank you received: 2

Sony Vegas Pro - Render settings for USA was created by Jane W

Posted 31 Aug 2015 14:41 #1
Hi Derek
I need to render and burn my Standard Definition film to DVD and send to the USA from Australia.

I used the following settings for my Australian version:
- MainConcept MPEG-2
- DVD Architect PAL Widescreen Video Stream

- Sony Wave64
- 48,000 Hz, 16 Bit, Stereo, PCM

What settings should I use for the USA version?
Thank you. Jane
by Jane W

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Sony Vegas Pro - Render settings for USA

Posted 31 Aug 2015 15:52 #2
Hi Jane

USA uses the exact same format but with NTSC 29.97fps settings.
However 99.99% of people today around the world can play both PAL and NTSC DVDs on any DVD player and any TV set.
Way, way back in the old days, it was more important to use either PAL or NTSC, but today isn't a big issue because modern technology will play back just about any format.

The main problem people have with DVDs is not whether it is PAL or NTSC, but with the Region Encoding.
DVD Architect by default burns all discs as Region Free so they will play in any country.

If I shot video using PAL 25fps frame rate, I would still encode to PAL for USA sales - that way you maintain maximum quality.
When you view video on YouTube, you could be viewing 24fps, 25fps, 29.97fps, 50fps and 60fps video - it all works no matter which country your are viewing YouTube in.

I buy a lot of Movies from Amazon USA that use NTSC video and view in Australia which is a PAL country.
It plays back perfectly here.
The same happens in reverse when someone buys PAL DVD and watches in NTSC country, provided it is Region Free encoded.

Regards
Derek.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:31 Aug 2015 15:53 by DoctorZen

• Jane W
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2

Replied by Jane W on topic Sony Vegas Pro - Standard Definition specs and FilmFreeway

Posted 14 Sep 2015 15:23 #3
Hi Derek,
Sorry for my delayed response. I've had the rotten flu.
Thank you so much for this information, it's great to know PAL works everywhere.

I also have to submit the film via FilmFreeway.
Can I change my film's specs (below) to better match FilmFreeway's output settings?
I realise FilmFreeway specs are HD. Are there any improvements I can make?

- MainConcept MPEG-2
- DVD Architect PAL Widescreen Video Stream
- Sony Wave64
- 48,000 Hz, 16 Bit, Stereo, PCM

FROM FILMFREEWAY WEBSITE
FilmFreeway accepts all major video formats. We transcode videos for playback compatibility and performance and recommend that you use settings close to our output settings:

Maximum video bitrate: 2200 Kbps, H.264, mp4
Audio bitrate: 128 Kbps, AAC
Aspect ratio preserved; maximum video height of 720 pixels

Thank you Derek.
Regards, Jane
by Jane W

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Sony Vegas Pro - Standard Definition specs and FilmFreeway

Posted 14 Sep 2015 16:40 #4
I would like to go back a few steps before I answer.
Were your original videos shot in full HD 1080p ?
I would assume you did actually use an HD camera since it is 2015. I don't know anyone who records to Standard Definition any more.

The encoding specifications on the Film Freeway website use a very low Bit Rate which is quite strange.
2200 Kbps is only 2.2 Mbps.

Their website also says you can use Vimeo or YouTube instead on uploading a video to the website.
I would suggest this to be a much better option. By doing this, you can render and upload a much higher quality video.
The best output format to use is Mainconcept AVC/AAC using the default Internet 1080p template.
This template uses a Maximum Bit Rate of 24 Mbps and Average of 12 Mbps.
Just make sure to manually set the Frame Rate before you begin.

Then upload this to your YouTube or Vimeo account.
Vimeo is the best option if you want maximum quality.
Finally you then send a link for the video on YouTube/Vimeo to Film Freeway.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:14 Sep 2015 16:42 by DoctorZen

• Jane W
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2

Replied by Jane W on topic Sony Vegas Pro - Standard Definition specs and FilmFreeway

Posted 14 Sep 2015 17:49 #5
Hi Derek,
The film was shot in 2005 on mini DV tapes, so unfortunately it is Standard Definition.

I started working on the film 3 years ago (kids, work blah blah blah).

I have cropped it slightly at the top so the black bars aren't so wide.
It looks pretty good on a 50" TV (or as good as it could for SD).

I will do as you recommend and send it using Vimeo.

Jane
by Jane W

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Sony Vegas Pro - Standard Definition specs and FilmFreeway

Posted 14 Sep 2015 23:29 #6
Mini DV tape was a good quality format for the day.
I would suggest that you could still render to Mainconcept AVC/AAC, but use the Internet 720p template.

• Jane W
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2

Posted 15 Sep 2015 22:02 #7
Hi Derek

I have selected the Mainconcept AVC/AAC setting.

When I select the Template, it gives me either the Default Template or Ipod Templates.

How do I select the Internet 720p template? I am using Vegas Pro 10.

I hope I'm not causing you to roll your eyes too much.
Regards, Jane
Last Edit:15 Sep 2015 23:01 by Jane W

Posted 15 Sep 2015 23:30 #8
My original answer assumed you were using a more recent version of the program.
Rendering templates have changed a lot from v10 to v13.

In version 10 the main Internet templates were located under Sony AVC, not Mainconcept AVC.
I do have a very old tutorial for v10 you can watch here if you get stuck. I can't remember what I said in this video, but I would recommend leaving the Bit Rate set to default high values. Just make sure your Frame Rate is set correctly, because most templates only show NTSC 29.97fps by default, but if you are in a PAL 25fps country, you will need to change it.
www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tutorials/sony-vegas-pro/73-sony-vegas-pro-10-how-to-render-720p-and-1080p-hd-video-for-youtube

It's OK to leave the Project Properties set to Interlaced settings if you like, since that is what your original video clips are recorded to.
When it comes time for rendering, all Internet Templates should automatically be set to Progressive - all video shown on the Internet is Progressive style video. So when you render the project, it will get converted.

:ermm: :rolleyes: :wink:
Last Edit:15 Sep 2015 23:33 by DoctorZen
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jane W

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.915 seconds