VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Custom Project Properties Template Question

• Eagle Six
  • Eagle Six's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Master
  • Zen Master
  • Check Your Six!
  • Thank you received: 567

Custom Project Properties Template Question was created by Eagle Six

Posted 20 Feb 2016 06:16 #1
If I create a custom Project Properties template, it will save the top part of the template, but not the bottom part as, Pixel Format, Full-resolution rendering quality, Motion blur type, Deinterlace method, and Prerendered files folder.

This is with Vegas Pro 13 as well as SMS13P. It must be something I'm not doing correctly or it just doesn't save those settings.

It's not that big a deal, just wondering why?
Best Regards......George

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Custom Project Properties Template Question

Posted 20 Feb 2016 13:43 #2
Hi George

I have not heard of that happening to anyone else before.
All settings should save in a Custom Template if you re-name a template and press the save button.
The only thing I can suggest is to reset the program and clean the temporary file cache. This normally fixes problems like this.

How to reset
Turn Vegas Off.
Hold down CONTROL and SHIFT keys at the same time AND ALSO AT THE SAME TIME double click program icon on Desktop to Boot program.
Window will pop up.
Select Delete Cache and Yes.
This will restore program to Factory Default Settings.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six

• Eagle Six
  • Zen Master
  • Zen Master
  • Check Your Six!

Replied by Eagle Six on topic Custom Project Properties Template Question

Posted 21 Feb 2016 13:32 #3

DoctorZen wrote: Hi George

I have not heard of that happening to anyone else before.
All settings should save in a Custom Template if you re-name a template and press the save button.

Hi Derek,

I prefer not to do resets, until I find out from others if the problem is universal or isolated to my system. Now that you confirm this is not normal behavior, when I return to the office on Monday I will try the reset and report back the results.

The reason I thought this might not be isolated to my Vegas Pro 13 is because my Movie Studio 13 Platinum acts the same way (it doesn't save the bottom section settings, although of course SMS13P doesn't have all the settings available as does Vegas).

Come to think about it, I have SMS12P, which I don't remember trying. I think I will try version 12 and see how it reacts before doing the reset on VP 13. As always, Thank You for your valuable input and wisdom.

NOTE: One other thought I have. All the render templates that I save in either SMS13P or VP13, seem to show up on either system, regardless of the program I created them in. For example I used SMS12P and then SMS13P, and all the render templates that I created in them were available when I installed Vegas Pro 13. I'm wondering if the Project Properties templates are likewise shared? If so, then what ever is messing them up would/might be, common to SMS12P, SMS13P and VP13.....hmmmm!

.....Again, Thanks.
Best Regards......George

Posted 21 Feb 2016 17:17 #4
Sony Vegas Custom Project Properties Templates
I did some research and experimentation and found where Sony Vegas Pro saves Custom Project Properties Templates.
I also reset Vegas myself and can confirm that resetting the program will definitely remove any custom project properties templates.

Custom Project Properties Templates are stored in the Windows Registry at this location.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Sony Creative Software\Vegas Pro\13.0\Metrics
To access this, click Start button in Windows and type regedit in the search field, then hit Enter on your keyboard to open registry.
Then navigate to the address above.

If resetting Vegas does not give you the ability to save Custom Templates, my guess is that you have a Windows User Permissions problem, which is blocking the saving of changes to the Windows Registry. If you start Vegas as the Administrator, this should definitely give you the ability to save changes again.

Right-click the Vegas Pro program shortcut on your desktop and select Run as Administrator.

Sony Vegas Custom Render As Templates
All your custom Render As templates are saved here:
C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Sony\Render Templates
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:21 Feb 2016 17:17 by DoctorZen

• Eagle Six
  • Zen Master
  • Zen Master
  • Check Your Six!

Posted 22 Feb 2016 01:53 #5
Derek, Thank You for the time you spent running down the locations of the Project Properties and Render As templates, as well as the Admin rights. I will check this all out and I'm sure my problem will be fixed via some part of your insight.

I look forward to checking things out tomorrow and reporting back with the fix.
Best Regards......George

• Eagle Six
  • Zen Master
  • Zen Master
  • Check Your Six!

Posted 22 Feb 2016 09:12 #6
I got back from my field project which went well, great footage, and earlier than I had planned. This gave me some time to check out the information and compare to my system. I found the Render As templates exactly as you said.

However, I don't have anything in the Register under Metrics, which would lead me to think they are Project Properties. Because I get the same results in Movie Studio 12P and 13P as I am with Vegas. I would like to work on getting the SMS13P working correctly, feeling that a fix for it will most likely also be the fix for VP13.

In SMS13P, I did a reset. I created a Custom Project Properties template and saved it. I did this both running the program from my user account (which has admin rights), as well as running it As Administrator. I get the same thing, the Project Properties save, but do not save the bottom section. Here is a screen shot of my register with all the Metrics folders. Perhaps if you have time you can compare mine to yours to determine any differences......

Here is a screen shot of the Custom Project Properties template I have created in SMS13P as I set them and saved as.....E6--1920x1080-30p, 29.970 fps......

Here is a screen shot of the Custom Project Properties after I closed SMS13P and restarted the program. The bottom section shows the default settings of template HD 1920x1080-60i, 29.970 fps (which is the original template I think I used to make my custom template).

(This is bringing back memories of the Sound Forge thing I asked you about back in mid-December in the comment section of your Magic Strawberries tutorial!!!!)
Best Regards......George
Last Edit:22 Jun 2016 01:08 by Eagle Six

Replied by altarvic on topic Custom Project Properties Template Question

Posted 22 Feb 2016 09:20 #7
Don't waste your time, Vegas just doesn't save these settings (in the "bottom section") in a preset.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen, Eagle Six

• Eagle Six
  • Zen Master
  • Zen Master
  • Check Your Six!

Posted 22 Feb 2016 09:50 #8

altarvic wrote: Don't waste your time, Vegas just doesn't save these settings (in the "bottom section") in a preset.

Thanks altarvic for the reply and information. This was my thought at first, but when I ask questions, I like to spend the time required to follow up on the replies I receive. When Derek replied that it was unusual for it not to save all the settings, I thought it wise to follow his suggestions.

Again, Thank You for taking the time to head me off.
Best Regards......George

Posted 22 Feb 2016 14:41 #9
If select Start all Projects with these Settings at the bottom of Project Properties window, the bottom section will be remembered for next time.
I know it's not exactly what you want because everyone has their own workflow and templates they like to use.
Last Edit:22 Feb 2016 14:41 by DoctorZen

• Eagle Six
  • Zen Master
  • Zen Master
  • Check Your Six!

Posted 23 Feb 2016 04:51 #10
OK......Thank You Derek and altarvic. So, the bottom line and conclusion is, neither Movie Studio or Vegas will save the bottom section in a Project Properties template. As stated in my original post, it's not that big a deal.

Vegas also will not match media in the 'Field order:' from some of my original files. I thought it would be more convenient if I had a template that would fill both top and bottom, to avoid making changes, but I'll just do it, as I have been, the old fashion way at start-up.

Again, Thank You both for your time and insight.
Best Regards......George

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.894 seconds