VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Windows 7 (64bit) to Windows 10

Windows 7 (64bit) to Windows 10 was created by kiwihans

Posted 10 Jun 2016 10:13 #1
I am using Sony Vegas Pro 13 with Windows 7 (64bit). Are there any issues to be aware of when going over to Windows 10? I had some compatibility problems with some software when I changed from Window XP to Windows 7.

What is the install procedure? Format C: drive and install Windows 10 from scratch? OR install Windows 10 straight over the top of Windows 7? I have resisted going to Win 10 up till now, but my local PC shop says there are no problems.

I am sure there are a number of people in our group who would be interested in this subject.............

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Windows 7 (64bit) to Windows 10

Posted 10 Jun 2016 11:08 #2
Hi Hans

I have been using Windows 10 for over a year now and absolutely love it.
It is the best version of Windows to date and keeps improving.

I have to go and stand in the naughty corner, because I should have made some tutorials about this topic last year.
Just before I received your message, I was literally writing down a to do list of the most important tutorials to make.
Hopefully I will have something uploaded in the next 5 days or less.
If you can wait a few days, you can read/watch a full tutorial on what to do.

For long term stability of your system, you need to do a 2 step process.

Step 1 - Perform the automated upgrade - this will generate a new Windows 10 license key that is permanently linked to serial number of your Motherboard. If you try to use any of your Sony programs after the upgrade, you will probably experience some problems like I did. This is normal. The upgrade process creates a lot of mess on your hard drive that needs to be removed.

Step 2 - Perform a clean install of Windows 10. In step 2 you are going to re-install Windows 10 again on a clean hard drive. This will give you the experience of a brand new computer and set you up with trouble free computing. When Windows 10 is re-installed, the Microsoft activation servers will see that you have previously upgraded from Windows 7 and have a legit new key. Next you need to re-install all your programs and that should be it.

My tutorial will go step by step and show all the little things to look out for.

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:10 Jun 2016 11:09 by DoctorZen
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter

Posted 10 Jun 2016 11:10 #3
Extra message.

Is your current computer store bought or did you build it yourself ?
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Replied by kiwihans on topic Windows 7 (64bit) to Windows 10

Posted 10 Jun 2016 12:12 #4
The computer store rebuilt my old PC. New motherboard, new Intel i7 processor and new graphics card.

I am sure I can wait a few days for your Windows 10 tutorial!

Replied by Richard Jones on topic Windows 7 (64bit) to Windows 10

Posted 10 Jun 2016 20:17 #5
"Next you need to re-install all your programs and that should be it."

That's right but what a tedious and time consuming task. A clean install of Windows 10 was the only way I could get Vegas Pro 12 to open and I shied away from this because of the huge amount of hassle involved (I would also have lost my Plug Ins in Vegas I think and reloading these would have added to the inconvenience!), For this reason and because it seems to be working well at the moment (touch wood quickly) I uninstalled Windows 10 and have reverted to Windows 7.

Richard

Posted 28 Jun 2016 17:20 #6
Doesn't look that there is going to be a tutorial on changing over to Windows10 anytime soon. Maybe Richard Jones is correct in saying its more trouble than what its worth! I sure don't want to jump in and find it could all be just a waste of time changing over....

Posted 28 Jun 2016 18:22 #7
Hi Hans

Sorry for the delay in uploading the Windows 10 tutorials that I promised.
I am editing the videos right now and going as fast as I can. There are three videos and tutorials and I need to complete all three at the same time, because they link to each other. I've completed the bulk of it and hope to get everything published in next 24 to 48 hours.

I don't like talking about my medical problems, because it is deadly boring, but here is what happened.
I've had a lot of pain in the lower abdomen. So had an un-expected visit to the hospital last week which destroyed my timetable. I've got a 30 year old, 40 cm piece of plastic tubing floating around in my body, from an old shunt (medical device) and it needs to come out. So I have been getting CT scans and visits to the surgeon, to organise the removal before it perforates my bowel or bladder. I also had a some serious headaches which doubled the problem. I'm OK now while I wait for a slot at the hospital.

You can see a bit of it wrapped around my bladder here. White sections are tops of femurs. Weird triangle is coxis.

Regards
Derek

....back to Sony Vegas....
Last Edit:28 Jun 2016 22:13 by DoctorZen
Attachments:

Replied by vkmast on topic Windows 7 (64bit) to Windows 10

Posted 28 Jun 2016 20:53 #8
Health must come first. Best wishes for the operation and recovery, in every sense of the word.
After that, back to Sony Vegas and forward to [strike]Sony[/strike] Vegas...
by vkmast
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Posted 29 Jun 2016 07:10 #9
Hi Derek: Your health comes first and I wish you well. Up till now I have managed to get good results with Win 7, so I can manage in the meantime. As I might have mentioned earlier, I have a small business restoring old home movies to digital media. This has peaks of work flow. At the moment it's a bit quiet, so I thought here is a good opportunity to do an upgrade. Also I am not sure when the offer of a free upgrade from Microsoft will stop.

Cheers,
Hans Gelton
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Posted 01 Jul 2016 15:29 #10
I was just about to publish my new tutorials on Windows 10 and discovered a major error in one of the videos. So I am re-uploading to YouTube right now. The file is extremely large and the Internet speed is crap right now, so it's probably not going to be ready until Saturday morning Sydney time 2 July 2016. The articles are all finished, but they need the videos to go with them.

This is probably the most technical tutorial I have ever uploaded and I know it will get a lot of views based on my Windows 7 tutorial, so I needed to get every single detail absolutely spot on, so I don't get lynched.

[IMG
The following user(s) said Thank You: merlin617

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.896 seconds