VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Ease of use vs Windows Live Movie Maker

Replied by huskereurocat on topic Ease of use vs Windows Live Movie Maker

Posted 28 Jul 2016 16:44 #11

DoctorZen wrote: To Fade multiple events at the same time in Movie Studio Platinum 13, first you need to select FADE mode at bottom.
Highlight all videos/audio that you want to fade by holding down SHIFT and selecting with mouse.
Then drag quarter-circle.
Make sure to return to Normal Edit mode when finished.

So Doctor Zen......Would you recommend for a noobie like me, to get Platinum 12 Suite or Platinum 13. I think with 12 Suite it is less expensive and you get more with it, but 13 you get an upgraded program. Question is am I going to get the correct fading options like being able to apply the same fade to all of the clips? Vkmast's post has me concerned since it sounds like with the 12 Suite I may have to buy another add-on package to get what I need.
Thoughts?
Ryzen 5 3600x / x570 motherboard / 32GB G Skill Ripjaws RAM / RX 6700XT 12GB / Crucial P1 M.2 1TB OS drive/Samsung 960 EVO M.2 250GB with multiple SSD's and HDD's

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Ease of use vs Windows Live Movie Maker

Posted 28 Jul 2016 16:51 #12
The ability to Fade multiple events all at the same time, is only available in Movie Studio Platinum 13.

The best value version of Movie Studio to buy is always the Suite version, like Movie Studio Suite 13, because it comes with many extra programs and tonnes of bonus features like royalty free music samples to use in your projects. V13 of the Suite is the best value version they have ever released.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Posted 29 Jul 2016 11:12 #13
I tried this and it works great! The only thing is that now that I see that fade it may not be the right transition for most of the clips. I would like to have the video portion of the clip have a plain cross effect transition. The fade is fine for the audio portion of the clip. Question is how can I accomplish this? I have spent the last 2-3 hours trying to figure this one out. I have used the selection edit tool and highlighted all of the video and tried to place a transition in place of t he default fade and it only effects just that one transition. I need to have it active on the other 71 clips as well.

Thanks for your help!
Ryzen 5 3600x / x570 motherboard / 32GB G Skill Ripjaws RAM / RX 6700XT 12GB / Crucial P1 M.2 1TB OS drive/Samsung 960 EVO M.2 250GB with multiple SSD's and HDD's

Posted 29 Jul 2016 17:17 #14
Personally I do not ever attempt to fade multiple clips all at the same time on a large scale, I do everything one at a time or temporarily turn on a setting in the Preference Settings.

When selecting multiple events on the timeline, just like inside of a typical Windows folder filled with Videos or Images, you can use Shift + Select or CTRL + Select. Select being your Mouse pointer.

Using Shift, it selects everything from beginning to end of your selection.
Using CTRL, you select ONLY the events you actually want to include in a group action.

There are many different settings in the Movie Studio and Vegas Pro Preferences, that you can turn ON/OFF, which control the behaviour of imported media events.
Go to Options/Preferences/Editing
If you turn on Automatically overlap multiple selected media when added and set the overlap you want below, this will automatically add cross-fades to media dragged to timeline as a single group.

ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:29 Jul 2016 17:18 by DoctorZen
Attachments:

Posted 20 Oct 2016 05:32 #15

DoctorZen wrote: To Fade multiple events at the same time in Movie Studio Platinum 13, first you need to select FADE mode at bottom.
Highlight all videos/audio that you want to fade by holding down SHIFT and selecting with mouse.
Make sure to return to Normal Edit mode when finished.

I may be doing this wrong, but I have been crossfading (overlapping) each clip on it's own and it takes forever. I tried the method above but it creates a fade to black at the end of a clip and then a fade from black at the beginning of the next clip. Is there any way to create a nice transition for multiple clips using the overlap method? If it means purchasing the plug-in that vkmast talks about, is that still available. Been poking around on the Magix site and I don't see it.
Last Edit:20 Oct 2016 05:55 by huskereurocat

Replied by huskereurocat on topic Overlapping Multiple Video Clips

Posted 20 Oct 2016 15:23 #16
DoctorZen wrote: "To Fade multiple events at the same time in Movie Studio Platinum 13, first you need to select FADE mode at bottom.
Make sure to return to Normal Edit mode when finished."
vkmast wrote: "Movie Studio Platinum 13 added the option to simultaneously adjust the fades of all selected events.
The inexpensive VASST FasstApps plug-in EventTools, which works in MSP 12 and 13, has the option to do that as well and more.
Available still from the Sony/SCS site and hopefully from Magix when the transition is completed."

I may be doing this wrong, but I have been crossfading (overlapping) each clip on it's own and it takes forever. I tried the method above but it creates a fade to black at the end of a clip and then a fade from black at the beginning of the next clip. Is there any way to create a nice transition for multiple clips using the overlap method? If it means purchasing the plug-in that vkmast talks about, is that still available. Been poking around on the Magix site and I don't see it.

@huskereurocat
I have merged your second message you posted on a new thread, back into the original message here.
Moderator: DrZen
Last Edit:20 Oct 2016 15:55 by huskereurocat

Posted 20 Oct 2016 15:48 #17
I don't know which Vaast plugin vkmast is talking about. You will have to ask him which specific plugin he means.
Vaast apps can be bought from here: vasstsoftware.com/products/

Inserting cross-fades between video clips is part of the video editing process. As I mentioned in a previous reply, you can turn on a setting in the Preferences to automatically create cross-fades, however this is going to apply the same effect to everything you import at once and will probably do more harm than good. This is not the approach I would use - way too general and dangerous.

The FADE tool is for Fade Ins and Fade Outs at the beginning and ends of clips.
It has nothing to do with cross-fades between clips.

I just fired up my crystal ball and think I know what is actually driving you crazy. I guess what the real problem is, has to do with shifting all the media to your right, so that you don't have to keep moving everything you just lined up.
You need to turn on the Auto-Ripple Tool.
Read this: How can I shift grouped media on the timeline without losing my edit positions?

PLEASE make sure you experiment with this tool first, before using it on a real project.
Maybe save a copy of your project to test with first, so you understand how it works.

Movie Studio Platinum 13 Suite is the best version right now and comes with the most amount of extras.
Since you have waited so long to upgrade, remember that Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 14 is being released early next year.
Last Edit:20 Oct 2016 15:50 by DoctorZen
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six

Replied by vkmast on topic Ease of use vs Windows Live Movie Maker

Posted 20 Oct 2016 22:09 #18

DoctorZen wrote: I don't know which Vaast plugin vkmast is talking about. You will have to ask him which specific plugin he means.

I think my posts #6 and #9 here are still valid at the moment. Re their FasstApps plugins, VASST advises that you "Buy from Sony", which seems to be the case as they're still listed as available in the SCS site Partner Products.
Last Edit:20 Oct 2016 22:11 by vkmast
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six

Posted 21 Oct 2016 02:03 #19

vkmast wrote:

DoctorZen wrote: I don't know which Vaast plugin vkmast is talking about. You will have to ask him which specific plugin he means.

I think my posts #6 and #9 here are still valid at the moment. Re their FasstApps plugins, VASST advises that you "Buy from Sony", which seems to be the case as they're still listed as available in the SCS site Partner Products.

Does this apply to the overlapping of clips or just the fading properties of the clips as it would seem in your post?

Posted 21 Oct 2016 02:17 #20

Inserting cross-fades between video clips is part of the video editing process. As I mentioned in a previous reply, you can turn on a setting in the Preferences to automatically create cross-fades, however this is going to apply the same effect to everything you import at once and will probably do more harm than good. This is not the approach I would use - way too general and dangerous.

The FADE tool is for Fade Ins and Fade Outs at the beginning and ends of clips.
It has nothing to do with cross-fades between clips.

I just fired up my crystal ball and think I know what is actually driving you crazy. I guess what the real problem is, has to do with shifting all the media to your right, so that you don't have to keep moving everything you just lined up.
You need to turn on the Auto-Ripple Tool.
Read this: How can I shift grouped media on the timeline without losing my edit positions?

I agree with you on the import of crossfaded clips. Way to general and it only applies to the clips that you import as well. Once I import a clip i may split it into many, many clips. The import feature doesn't help in that case.
Auto ripple is already on. I don't think that is the problem.
I found the setting for the overlapping time preset and changed it so I don't have to change that manually any longer and that has made a big difference, but I still have to overlap the clips one at a time and have not found a way to do multiple clips at the same time. If that is a limitation of the software then I can work with that. I was just trying to speed up the process and thought this would be a fairly simple process since a free (although not good) editing program has this feature and MSP13 does not.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.961 seconds