VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Unable to drag transitions and special effects to the timeline

• bigred
  • bigred's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie
  • Thank you received: 1
Problem: Unable to drag any transitions into the timeline. When I do, the following symbol appears (red circle with red line through it) and I cannot get any transition to the timeline. Thanks for your help
by bigred

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Unable to drag transitions and special effects to the timeline

Posted 31 Jan 2017 08:53 #2
Hi Bigred

I have never heard of that problem before, but I have experienced the problem of not being able to drag any videos onto the timeline.

There is only one thing I recommend you try and that is a full program reset.
I have instructions posted here:
www.moviestudiozen.com/doctor-zen-faq/573-how-to-reset-sony-software-to-default-settings

If that does not work, I have another suggestion.

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:17 Feb 2017 23:17 by DoctorZen

• bigred
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie

Replied by bigred on topic Unable to drag transitions and special effects to the timeline

Posted 31 Jan 2017 09:30 #3
Hi Derek;
this did not seem to work, could not find files of the type you mentioned. you said that you might have another solutions? thanks
by bigred

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Unable to drag transitions and special effects to the timeline

Posted 31 Jan 2017 09:38 #4
The top section of the FAQ I sent you, is just my insurance policy for making sure you understand what a reset means.
Forget about all the long winded words and just do this:

Please note that this ONLY WORKS by using a Quickstart program icon on your Windows Desktop.
A reset will not work from the Windows Start menu.
If you don't have a Vegas quick-start program icon on your Windows desktop, you must create one first and then click this using instructions.

Close the program (Movie Studio/Vegas/DVD Architect,etc...).
Hold down the CTRL + SHIFT keys at the same time AND ALSO AT THE SAME TIME double click program icon on Desktop to Boot program.
Window will pop up.
Select Delete all Cached Application Data and then press Yes.
This will restore program to Factory Default Settings.

Quick start icon examples:
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:31 Jan 2017 09:39 by DoctorZen
Attachments:

• bigred
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie

Replied by bigred on topic Unable to drag transitions and special effects to the timeline

Posted 01 Feb 2017 02:14 #5
Hi Derek:
I did the above as you suggested, but still to no avail! I have re-installed the software from the original disk, also downloaded an 'update' from the Sony (or as it is now 'Magix') website, still no success. I have gone through the user guide, re-set all the elements to original settings etc. I even put in a call to Magix, who are now handling Sony products trouble-shooting problems, have not heard back yet. totally stumped!!!!! Thank you for your continued efforts.
by bigred

Posted 01 Feb 2017 08:58 #6
Which exact program and version are you using ?
Which Operating System are you on ? W10, W8.1 or W7 ?

If you a Sony version, DO NOT install the Magix version - this can cause problems.

• bigred
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie

Posted 01 Feb 2017 09:13 #7
I'm using Windows 10. the Movie Studio is Version 13.0 (build 208) 64-bit. it says Copyright 2003-2016 MAGIX.
by bigred

Posted 01 Feb 2017 09:46 #8
If I am understanding what you have said, you originally bought the Sony branded boxed version of Movie Studio 13.
If this is true, what I recommend you do is a clean install of Movie Studio.

DO NOT install the Magix version. Even though this is a higher build version, it does not include anything new.
It is better to stick with the Sony version, if you bought the Sony version.

The final build version ever released can be downloaded from the Sony archive here:
download.sonymediasoftware.com/current/moviestudio13.0.192_64bit.exe

Instructions on how to do a clean install are in this FAQ:
www.moviestudiozen.com/doctor-zen-faq/570-clean-install-sony-vegas-windows-10

Because you have also installed the Magix version, you may have "VEGAS" folders left behind on your computer as well.
In the FAQ above, it shows where "Sony" program folders are located.
Look for "Vegas" folders in same locations and also delete, after you have un-installed the program.

If it still does not work after all of this, my guess is that a Microsoft program on your computer has become corrupted.
Only Magix would be able to help you with that.

• bigred
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie

Posted 02 Feb 2017 01:06 #9
Thanks again for all the time and trouble you have taken to try to resolve this issue. I will let you know if and when a resolution is found! more thank likely it is probably my own stupidity not the software!!!
by bigred

I just realised that I never asked you a very basic question.
Is this the first time you have ever used this program and tried to add a Transition ?

You must first overlap 2 different pieces of media on the timeline, like 2x videos or 2x photos.
Then go to Transitions and find a preset you want to use.
Drag transition onto the overlapped area.

Attachments:

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.957 seconds