Solved An Introduction and a question.

• Thank you received: 0

An Introduction and a question. was created by marcus aurelius

First, I want to introduce myself and say what a huge blessing you are Derek and what wonderful help your teachings are to me and my work.

My name is Donnie and I teach stagecraft at my local high school as a volunteer. I got into video because no one at our High School wanted to record our shows without charging us a huge amount of money or when people did help, it took almost a year to get the video and then it was horrendous, so I decided to take on the challenge and wow there is a lot to learn. I use a combination of Go Pro cameras, 2 Sony HD handycams, a Canon 60D DSLR and an older AG-AC90 Panasonic unit. I find myself doing all kinds of shooting including set builds and strike's in time-lapse put to music to filming entire productions. I find all this business very rewarding and want to become better at it, making it less time consuming for me on the computer so I can spend more time behind the camera when I'm not building sets and props with the kids.

I have many questions but If I had to pick one right now the I need help with this...

I have several complete edited shorts (in .mp4) of different production events from last season. None of them are over 50 min long. The drama teacher
is asking me to put them all (or as many as I could) on one DVD with a menu to give to all of the incoming parents of new drama students joining our program. Plus, use them for fundraising to attract corporate sponsors for our productions (we are one of a handful of high schools in Florida producing Broadway scale & quality shows.) and we need sponsorship to run these huge productions.

I have the latest movie studio platinum 14 suite with DVD architect and all that, which I am learning. I use Corel's video studio 10X wile I'm learning MSP14 I also successfully followed your tutorial on putting a large content video to DVD using the bit-rate calculator and DVD architect and it worked perfectly! Folks said that large video could never go onto a dvd but with your video, It did, and that made 75 students very, very happy! (I didn't put in a menu on that dvd) So I have had some success with my skill level in following your teachings step by step online.

So in the end is there a way to have several different videos of interest on one DVD or Blue-Ray that has a menu to choose the one you want to see?

Thank you again for reading this and for all you do for so many!

Warm Regards,
06 Jul 2017 07:58 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1306

Replied by DoctorZen on topic An Introduction and a question.

Hello and welcome to the MSZ Forum

Thank you for your warm and welcoming message :)

I will assume the tutorial you are referring to is this one:
www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tutorials/dvd-architect-studio-50/493-how-to-compress-a-long-video-onto-a-dvd

When you have more than one video to place on the same DVD, all you have to do is add up the total time for all the videos you want to use. Let's say you have 6x videos and the total play time is 120 minutes. Place 120 minutes into the Bit Rate Calculator and remember to add a Safety Margin of about 3.5%. The calculator will then give you the Bit Rate Settings to use.

All your 6 videos are going to be different time lengths. Some of them maybe short, like 10 minutes and some maybe much longer.
You are going to render each video using the exact same Bit Rate settings, because the total time of all the videos is what is critical.

If you have a choice between DVD and Blu-ray discs, you should use Blu-ray discs every time.
Only Blu-ray can save full HD video, whereas DVD is limited to Standard Definition video.
You can also fit a MASSIVE amount of video on one Blu-ray disc, compared to DVD.
With a Blu-ray disc, you can also burn both DVD quality and HD quality to the same disc, which means you could fit a lot more video onto one disc.

It drives me crazy that the world is stuck on using DVDs!
DVD is an old technology now. Everyone's video cameras and phones shoot HD video.
YouTube and Vimeo all use HD video and higher now and have done so for a long time.
Most people in the Western world have a HD or 4K TV at home.
Sony Playstations all come with a Blu-ray player inside and so does modern X-box machines.
All DVD/Blu-ray players will play both DVD and Blu-ray.

When it comes to creating physical media, only Blu-ray disc should be used now, because that is the format designed for HD video.
So if your school is insisting on burning discs, you need to educate and encourage everyone to use Blu-ray and not DVD!

That all being said, have you considered starting a YouTube or Vimeo channel for your school instead ?
This would remove all need for making DVDs or Blu-ray discs and give you more time to create and also give you the ability to upload in full HD every time!
Online video can also be easily inserted into a local school website/blog.

Regards
Derek
Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems.
Peace :)
06 Jul 2017 13:16 #2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.072 seconds

Make a Donation

Movie Studio Zen is a fully independent site and all our content is free. You can help support this site by making a PayPal donation.

MSZ Social Media

youtube  facebook  twitter

MSZ Security

MovieStudioZen.com

Copyright © 2019 MovieStudioZen.com.
All rights reserved.