DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Question Major Upgrade of Website and Forum

• DoctorZen
  • DoctorZen's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Don't Panic !
  • Thank you received: 1563

Major Upgrade of Website and Forum was created by DoctorZen

Posted 02 Aug 2022 16:23 #1
Hello Everyone
Over the last 3 days I have done a HUGE upgrade to the MSZ website and MSZ Forum.
Please report any BUGS that you find immediately - I would appreciate that.

I've tested everything as best as I could and am aware of some problems, which I'm trying to fix.
If anything catastrophic happens, I can restore the OLD Site and Forum until things a fixed.

Regards
Derek (aka Doctor Zen)
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:02 Aug 2022 16:25 by DoctorZen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Robbie on topic Major Upgrade of Website and Forum

Posted 04 Aug 2022 18:37 #2
Hi Derek
I was going to email but haven't seen any posts from members yet so thought I'd post to the forum instead as a bit of a test.

SInce the upgrade despite selecting "Stay Logged in" I haven't been able to stay logged in after closing the browser (both Edge and Firefox). I can log in and then go on to other websites and be still logged in when I come back to the MSZ Forum. However, if I close and then reopen the browser I have to log back into the forum. Current versions of Windows 10 (Home) and the Firefox and Edge Browsers.

Curious to hear if any other members have had the same experience.

Overall, though its a nice clean modern look and most functionality on the Site and Forum seems to be working OK so far.

Cheers, Robbie
by Robbie
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

• DoctorZen
  • DoctorZen's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Don't Panic !
  • Thank you received: 1563

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Major Upgrade of Website and Forum

Posted 04 Aug 2022 20:05 #3
Hi Robbie

Thank you for posting a message! I really do appreciate that.
You are the first person to send a message since I finished the upgrade.
I've done countless tests myself over the last 7 days, but there's nothing like an actual user to report back with "real world" experience.

I had 2 goals with the upgrade:
1. Faster page load times
2. Cleaner website
I've removed lots of crap that no one actually looks at, and instead am focussing purely on the articles and tutorials, with minimal ad placement.

I upgraded the Joomla software that runs the entire site.
I also upgraded the Kunena Forum software that runs the forum.
And I also installed a new modern template for the entire site.
Everything is now using the latest and most modern website coding protocols, so that it loads faster and is more secure.
Google now places strong weight with page load times -  if you have a slow site, you get demoted in Google search results, so if it loads fast, you should get a boost in search result placement.

Because I have done a full upgrade from older code to newer code, some settings have not transferred correctly during the upgrade process. I keep finding things that need to be manually reconfigured and I'm also finding a heap of BUGS mainly in the forum software.

Thanks for letting me know about the Login problem - it is noted!
It maybe because I have been continually clearing the website cache every time I fix a bug?
OR
There could be a bug in the Login module that is shared between the Forum and Website.
I'll keep monitoring things on my end. For now, you'll probably have to Login and Out for each session, until I get more bugs fixed.

I would also recommend clearing your web browsers History and Cookies, so that all the old website and old forum code is deleted from the cache. Sometimes this will fix login issues.

Thank you for your patience.
I'm now waiting on outside help to fix the bugs, which could take a few weeks to resolve.

The Thank You button is definitely screwed up, but it does still work!
Email notifications are also screwed up, but they do work as well.

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:04 Aug 2022 20:08 by DoctorZen
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pontyboy

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.845 seconds