VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved DVD starts in the wrong spot after the first time I play it

• darkpwca
  • darkpwca's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
  • Thank you received: 0

DVD starts in the wrong spot after the first time I play it was created by darkpwca

Posted 28 Sep 2014 08:17 #1
Hi all! I'm having a hard time finding an answer (or even asking this question) online - I don't quite know how to phrase my question. So, I've created a DVD with menus using DVD Architect Pro. I'm in the process of test-watching it. So far it's looking good but I can't figure out this one thing...

So my DVD is for a 90 minute feature film and I have 2 bonus feature videos. So there's a main menu (which is the first thing that plays) with 3 buttons directing the viewer to the 3 different videos. It's NTSC.

I am test-watching it in my PS3. Now, I know that DVD and blu-ray players today are "smart" so if I stop watching the movie in the middle and re-insert and re-start the DVD later, the PS3 is smart enough to know, "Oh, you've started watching this video before so I'm just going to start playing again where you left off last time!" That makes sense to me and is fine.

But here's the problem I'm having. I watch the movie all the way through. And I'm directed back to the main menu. THEN I stop the DVD, eject it. Then I re-insert the DVD and start playing it again. And for some reason when my PS3 recognizes the DVD, instead of starting at the main menu again, where it should, it immediately starts playing the feature film and completely skips over the main menu as if the menu isn't there at all. This does NOT happen the very first time I play the DVD. It only happens when I play the DVD for a second, third, etc. time. Oh, and it even happens if I've most recently watched one of the bonus feature videos. So I completely watch a bonus feature video, it goes back to the main menu, I stop the DVD, re-start it, and this time around it immediately starts playing the feature film (not the video I most recently watched), skipping over the main menu.

Any thoughts?

I suppose it's not a big deal. I'm just worried I might have done something wrong in DVD Architect so some people (using different types of DVD players, etc.) might miss out on the main menu. Or perhaps, it's because of the PS3. I don't have the exact same problem playing the DVD on my PC. But my PC ins't "smart" enough to start the DVD wherever I left off and seems a bit more glitchy in general.

Any advice appreciated! Thank you so much!
by darkpwca

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic DVD starts in the wrong spot after the first time I play it

Posted 28 Sep 2014 14:08 #2
Hi there

I remember doing some experiments many years ago with different DVD Players, because I was experiencing something similar to yourself.
I discovered that not all players were doing the same thing.
On one of them if a pressed the STOP button Twice, it forced everything back to the Main Menu when I hit Play again.
If I pressed Stop only once, it would resume the video at the exact place I stopped at.

I have not owned a Play Station for many years now, so I have no current experience with it's workings.
On a normal DVD/Blu-ray Player Remote Control - there should be two buttons that say:
Disc Menu and Title Menu
Pressing one of these will return it to Main Menu.

Make sure to also check the settings in DVD Architect for the Remote Control.
In the main screen there are settings on the right side inside the Remote Buttons tab.
I always turn ALL of these on.

Regards
Derek.
ℹī¸ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:30 Jan 2015 23:47 by DoctorZen

Replied by kiwihans on topic DVD starts in the wrong spot after the first time I play it

Posted 28 Sep 2014 17:46 #3
My 2 cents worth: Maybe you should'nt take the DVD out of the player. Perhaps it needs to stay in there until you have finished with it........

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.754 seconds