VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Software Download link?

Need Help With Menu Customization Please was created by IAmDennis

Posted 06 Jun 2021 10:28 #1
I am DVD Architect 7.   I don't use Vegas Movie Studio - instead I use a different video editor "Filmora" and I use Corel software for photos and graphics.

I copied a bunch of 30 year old VHS family tapes and wanted to create a menu driven Bluray disc to give out to family.  I had trouble figuring out how to insert a picture inside a button linked to a movie. When I tried using a scene in the movie as the button pic, the pic was dimmed - so I created a fancy menu that is actually a PNG picture.  It looks like buttons on a menu.  Then, I created buttons with nothing in them (empty buttons) and shaped them to fit the rectangular buttons in my menu picture.  That works fine.  I don't like the way DVD Architect shows me my selection on the menu.  It puts a semi transparent color over the button.  That makes it harder to see the button in my opinion.  So, I thought I'd create a button that exactly matches the ones on my menu, then put a nice color border around that button.  My idea was when I select a button, it would swap in the button with the color border around it.   I tried it with a transparent center (so all I had was the color outline) and I tried it with a the button and outline as the thumbnail.  I can't get it to work right  - and I don't know how to do it.  I am really just experimenting with the button settings hoping I get it right - but alas, no love from DVD Architect.

Does anyone know how to do this and can explain to me how?   My menu "picture" has 9 simulated buttons - three across and three down.  For the button with the color, I copied the buttons from the menu - so I have 9 separate button pics with color borders on them.  I also have 9 separate button pics with color borders, but inside the color border is transparent.  These separate buttons are exactly the same size as the simulated buttons. I just need to figure out  how to turn on the separate button when it's selected, but hide it when it's not.

I've attached the menu picture and one of the separate buttons I hope to use to show when a menu choice is selected.

Thanks for the help!

Regards,
Dennis
Last Edit:06 Jun 2021 15:43 by IAmDennis
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Need Help With Menu Customization Please

Posted 07 Jun 2021 14:03 #2
Hi Dennis
I have too much on my plate at the moment to spend many hours of your problem.
I'm desperately trying to finish making new tutorials, which are long overdue.

Here are some quick pointers.
One of the problems you expressed on YouTube, was the selection colour overlay in your Menus.
That's why I sent a link to an old forum post which explained how colour sets work.
You can turn all colour off and make it a full transparent Alpha channel, by adjusting the sliders.

There are also numerous settings for "Button Highlight" types.
Press a button and select Highlight in menu (top right).
If you want to make your life simpler, I recommend setting to Underline.
This puts a simple line under the menu/button that is selected/active.

I recommend you read the Help file for DVD Architect.
Go to Help/Contents and Index
Select Index and search "Masks".
It takes a bit to wrap your had around this topic.
Start a test project and add one of the DVDA buttons as shown in the Help file.
If you then go to Properties menu (top right), select Thumbnail media or Masks, you can access the folder Buttons and Masks live in - this should help you understand how the combinations work.

Red Borders
I had forgotten how to do this, because I don't use DVDA much anymore.
However, I did an experiment on the weekend and got it to work.
1. Remember that when creating image objects in Photoshop for buttons, DVDA is using an Aspect Ratio of 16:9.
So when creating frames for video buttons, use an Aspect Ratio of 16:9

2. Create a Frame in Photoshop on a White background with Black border - this will be a type of Mask that DVDA can understand.
I have uploaded a quick sample file that I created.

3. On the Button/Media/Thumbnail Properties, upload this to Mask - (press Replace and find your file to select).

4. Now go to Colour Sets and set Transparent Colour to the colour you want the Frame to be.
If you set to red, the black border (mask) will become red.

5. Go to Preview to preview button

Regards
Derek

ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:07 Jun 2021 14:05 by DoctorZen

Replied by IAmDennis on topic Need Help With Menu Customization Please

Posted 07 Jun 2021 17:54 #3
Thank you for the time you spent on this.  I posted on another forum today and someone there did a short video on how to do it. At the time I was waiting for a response, I figured it out also. Each of us did it differently, but it works.  In my case, I created a pic that was transparent (PNG) except for the border.  I added that to a blank button as an overlay and set it to use DVDA color set.  It works for what I wanted.  I think your way would have been easier though.  I am going to try your way to see how it works.
In any event, thank you again for helping me figure this out.   I already had the underline working - just didn't like the way it looked.
Regards,
Dennis
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Need Help With Menu Customization Please

Posted 08 Jun 2021 08:30 #4
Thanks for the report back :)
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:08 Jun 2021 08:30 by DoctorZen

Replied by IAmDennis on topic Software Download link?

Posted 08 Jun 2021 13:14 #5
I just ordered the boxed version of Vegas Movie Studio Platinum version 16.  While I wait for it, I'd like to install it as a trial.  Does anyone have a link where I can download version 16?  I only see version 17 available on the Vegas website.
Thanks!
Dennis

Replied by IAmDennis on topic Software Download link?

Posted 08 Jun 2021 13:19 #6
Nevermind - found it.
Anyone else looking for it?  Look here:
Last Edit:08 Jun 2021 13:43 by IAmDennis

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Software Download link?

Posted 08 Jun 2021 13:49 #7
The official link for downloading older versions of MAGIX software is here.
You will need a Serial Number to access the link.
www.magix.com/us/support/my-service-center/product-downloads/

I also have links to all current versions of VEGAS in my FAQ section.
These are all official MAGIX/VEGAS links and do not re-direct to 3rd party sites.
www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tutorials/doctor-zen-faq

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.787 seconds